News: Agent's Take: A five-year deal Dak Prescott should consider

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One major sticking point in the negotiations is length of contract as Prescott wants a four-year deal. If representing Prescott, I wouldn't want a five-year deal either. The salary cap is expected to increase significantly with the addition of a 17th regular season game and new media rights deals, and most of the current TV deals expire after the 2022 season. The 17th game most likely will be implemented at some point before the 2023 season. Prescott would be better positioned to take advantage of the anticipated financial growth with a four-year deal.

The recent trend with high-end quarterback contracts has been a shorter term than what Dallas would prefer. There are seven passers with contracts averaging $30 million or more per year. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is the only one whose deal contains more than four new contract years as he signed a five-year contract extension. The average length for these seven quarterback deals is 3.57 new years. Since all seven deals were extensions (had at least one year remaining on their existing deals when signed), the quarterbacks are under contract for average of 4.71 total years.

Total and average salary
There wouldn't be many circumstances where a five-year deal would get real consideration from Prescott's agent. First off, I would be operating under the assumption that Prescott would get a second franchise tag in 2021 at the CBA-mandated 20 percent increase, so his salary next year would be $37,690,800. Prescott would make nearly $69.1 million through 2021 by going year-to-year with unrestricted free agency as a realistic possibility in 2022, since a third franchise tag would be $54,274,752, a 44 percent increase over the 2021 franchise tag.

Read more
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-a-five-year-deal-dak-prescott-should-consider-even-if-the-cowboys-qb-wants-to-go-shorter/?fbclid=IwAR0FSnVtWbF1pRyvT7iVqeIjgNSJ4QnRrSeBaK1JRFOaFUwWZvKNfdLZZEI

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty interesting alternative that this agent put out thee.

There would have to some other component to the contract to make a five-year term more appealing. This could be accomplished with the inclusion of a clause prohibiting the Cowboys from designating Prescott as a franchise or transition player when his contract was up after the 2024 season. The clause would prevent the long, protracted negotiation that has been occurring between the Cowboys and France, as the Cowboys would be forced to put their best foot forward at an earlier time without the use of a franchise or transition tag when Prescott's contract expired.

It would not be an unprecedented clause for a quarterback. The fully guaranteed three-year contract Kirk Cousins signed with the Vikings in 2018 free agency put limitations on how he could be restricted from entering the open market in 2021 had he not signed an extension this past March. Drew Brees' most recent contracts with the Saints have had a clause prohibiting the use of franchise or transition designation. When Tom Brady reworked his contract with the Patriots last August, a prohibition clause just like Brees' was included.

An alternative would be some sort of mechanism where Prescott could void his 2024 contract year. Extraordinary individual achievement and/or team success, such being selected league MVP or Dallas winning the Super Bowl where Prescott is named the game's MVP, would be a requirement at some time during the first four contract years. Dallas would retain the ability to use a franchise or transition tag on Prescott with voiding of the 2024 contract year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...yvT7iVqeIjgNSJ4QnRrSeBaK1JRFOaFUwWZvKNfdLZZEI

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point, I’m just ready for July to come and go, so we have a better idea what reality will look like.

Either sign him to a 4/5 year deal or have him play on the tag, and move on. He’s not worth the money he’ll get, but that’s the nature of the NFL landscape.

Just do something so we can all argue over other things :thumbup:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
One major sticking point in the negotiations is length of contract as Prescott wants a four-year deal. If representing Prescott, I wouldn't want a five-year deal either. The salary cap is expected to increase significantly with the addition of a 17th regular season game and new media rights deals, and most of the current TV deals expire after the 2022 season. The 17th game most likely will be implemented at some point before the 2023 season. Prescott would be better positioned to take advantage of the anticipated financial growth with a four-year deal.

The recent trend with high-end quarterback contracts has been a shorter term than what Dallas would prefer. There are seven passers with contracts averaging $30 million or more per year. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is the only one whose deal contains more than four new contract years as he signed a five-year contract extension. The average length for these seven quarterback deals is 3.57 new years. Since all seven deals were extensions (had at least one year remaining on their existing deals when signed), the quarterbacks are under contract for average of 4.71 total years.

otal and average salary
There wouldn't be many circumstances where a five-year deal would get real consideration from Prescott's agent. First off, I would be operating under the assumption that Prescott would get a second franchise tag in 2021 at the CBA-mandated 20 percent increase, so his salary next year would be $37,690,800. Prescott would make nearly $69.1 million through 2021 by going year-to-year with unrestricted free agency as a realistic possibility in 2022, since a third franchise tag would be $54,274,752, a 44 percent increase over the 2021 franchise tag.

The question essentially becomes what type of three-year deal (covering the 2022 through 2024 seasons) can Dallas offer two years early in an enticing enough five-year structure to abandon the quest for a four-year deal or forego making almost $69.1 million by playing the franchise tag game before likely hitting the open market.

The $40 million-per-year quarterback is on the horizon. The Texans have had preliminary discussions regarding a new deal with 2017 first-round pick Deshaun Watson, who is under contract through the 2021 season. After the Texans dramatically reset the offensive tackle market with Laremy Tunsil at $22 million per year on a shorter-than-expected deal (a three-year extension), it wouldn't be too surprising for Watson's extension to hit the $40 million-per-year mark.

The Chiefs are reportedly making 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes' extension a priority now that the NFL Draft has been conducted. If Watson doesn't become the NFL's first $40 million-per-year player, Mahomes should when he signs a new contract unless he intentionally leaves a lot of money on table in giving the Chiefs a massive hometown discount. 2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson becomes eligible for a new deal once the 2020 regular season is completed.

Knowing that quarterback salaries are going to surpass the $40 million-per-year mark no later than next year, valuing Prescott's 2022 to 2024 contract years in the $120 million neighborhood isn't outlandish. Those years added to the nearly $70 million from franchise tags in this year and next year puts the five-year contract total at $190 million for an average of $38 million per year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-a-five-year-deal-dak-prescott-should-consider-even-if-the-cowboys-qb-wants-to-go-shorter/?fbclid=IwAR0FSnVtWbF1pRyvT7iVqeIjgNSJ4QnRrSeBaK1JRFOaFUwWZvKNfdLZZEI

Hopefully people will read this and see why Dak hasn't signed yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I’m just ready for July to come and go, so we have a better idea what reality will look like.

Either sign him to a 4/5 year deal or have him play on the tag, and move on. He’s not worth the money he’ll get, but that’s the nature of the NFL landscape.

I say just drop the 5-year deal and do the 4 years already.

If he wins a Super Bowl during that time, you'll be happy to overpay for him anyway. If not, you're one year closer to moving on. Stephen Jones and the Cowboys aren't handling this well either.

Oneiros

Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty interesting alternative that this agent put out thee.

There would have to some other component to the contract to make a five-year term more appealing. This could be accomplished with the inclusion of a clause prohibiting the Cowboys from designating Prescott as a franchise or transition player when his contract was up after the 2024 season. The clause would prevent the long, protracted negotiation that has been occurring between the Cowboys and France, as the Cowboys would be forced to put their best foot forward at an earlier time without the use of a franchise or transition tag when Prescott's contract expired.

It would not be an unprecedented clause for a quarterback. The fully guaranteed three-year contract Kirk Cousins signed with the Vikings in 2018 free agency put limitations on how he could be restricted from entering the open market in 2021 had he not signed an extension this past March. Drew Brees' most recent contracts with the Saints have had a clause prohibiting the use of franchise or transition designation. When Tom Brady reworked his contract with the Patriots last August, a prohibition clause just like Brees' was included.

An alternative would be some sort of mechanism where Prescott could void his 2024 contract year. Extraordinary individual achievement and/or team success, such being selected league MVP or Dallas winning the Super Bowl where Prescott is named the game's MVP, would be a requirement at some time during the first four contract years. Dallas would retain the ability to use a franchise or transition tag on Prescott with voiding of the 2024 contract year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...yvT7iVqeIjgNSJ4QnRrSeBaK1JRFOaFUwWZvKNfdLZZEI
I think this is something that had been suggested before. But yes, if it's really the years and not the money (who the heck knows what the truth is now) then if put in clause that will allow the 5th year to be voided if we reach the Super Bowl before that time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree. I think some good points are made such as revenue increase with new TV contracts due, a 17th game added. I can at least see why 4 is more attractive. I think often most of us look at these contract purely on year to payout without looking at all other details surrounding these deals. I will be the 1st to say I think they all get paid too much as well as the owners greed but it is as you said the nature of the NFL landscape

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have little doubt that Bill O'Brien and the Texans will undoubtedly screw up the quarterback market even more than it currently is.

If the team does want Dak long term, get the deal done ahead of those morons.
Should have been done a few years ago. If we offered 30 a year before wentz got his deal it may have done it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have been done a few years ago. If we offered 30 a year before wentz got his deal it may have done it.

Absolutely!

Little Enos low-balled Dak and his agent last year and the market has gone up by $10 million a year since. Way to go Junior!

And now the deal will be in excess of $35 million a year and the Jones boys will try to lie to everyone about what a great deal it is and what a great job everyone did.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I have little doubt that Bill O'Brien and the Texans will undoubtedly screw up the quarterback market even more than it currently is.

If the team does want Dak long term, get the deal done ahead of those morons.

they gave out an insane deal to Tunsil,i bet a lot of teams are mad at them.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Hopefully people will read this and see why Dak hasn't signed yet.

Read? Emotions don't read, they react. As I posted before:

Wilson ($107M), Goff ($110M) and Wentz ($108M) got more guaranteed money on their 4-year extensions than Dak is being offered on his alleged 5-year offer. If Dak wants a 4-year deal and the FO wants 5, is it a "fair deal" to offer less guaranteed than others got on their 4-year deals? If you wanted a 4-year deal, would you sign at 5 for less guaranteed than your peers got on 4-year deals, two of which you can argue you're better than? Plus, it's a year later in the QB market which means it's even higher than when those two signed.

But people only care that it's a lot of money and that they don't want players getting it so the same logic they'd use for themselves is ignored when it's someone else getting a lot.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Absolutely!

Little Enos low-balled Dak and his agent last year and the market has gone up by $10 million a year since. Way to go Junior!

And now the deal will be in excess of $35 million a year and the Jones boys will try to lie to everyone about what a great deal it is and what a great job everyone did.
Most on here were having a heart attack when we mentioned paying him 25-30 and get it done. Wait till they see the 35-37 he gets now. I thought 30 would get it back then but wanted 27. I bet they offered him 20 or something.

csirl

Reaction score
I agree. I think some good points are made such as revenue increase with new TV contracts due, a 17th game added. I can at least see why 4 is more attractive. I think often most of us look at these contract purely on year to payout without looking at all other details surrounding these deals. I will be the 1st to say I think they all get paid too much as well as the owners greed but it is as you said the nature of the NFL landscape

What about the following:

1. QB market has changed from the time of Cousins etc.

2. Salary cap falls - due to coronavirus disruption.

3. There may be no 2020 season, or a reduced length season.

At the moment, the risk meter is saying sign any reasonable offer.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
This is exactly the way I wanted things to go. Dak was playing for peanuts, as some would say, so show him your appreciation by signing him early. The deal would have been team friendly back then and I'm sure Dak would have loved the pay raise.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If he wins a Super Bowl during that time, you'll be happy to overpay for him anyway. If not, you're one year closer to moving on. Stephen Jones and the Cowboys aren't handling this well either.
Solid

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most on here were having a heart attack when we mentioned paying him 25-30 and get it done. Wait till they see the 35-37 he gets now. I thought 30 would get it back then but wanted 27. I bet they offered him 20 or something.

I think Dak and other players, agents know damn well a new TV contract is coming up and rumors on this contract would double what the NFL will get.

expected to jack up renewal rates on all of its major broadcast packages -- Thursday night, Sunday afternoon, Sunday night and Monday night, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to speak publicly because negotiations are private.

Rates on Sunday afternoon games may double, jumping from $1 billion annually to $2 billion annually. ESPN pays $2 billion annually for Monday Night Football and may need to pay $3 billion to keep the package, two of the people said. Renewals will likely be seven or eight-year deals, the people said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/22/nfl-tv-rights-up-for-renewal-in-2022-and-big-media-will-pay-more.html
Player and agents know what is coming and yes these demand by players will be greater. Is Dak greedy? No more than any other player, why should he go out and lowball himself?

Verdict

Reaction score

It would be better to have Dak sign a 4 year deal than allow him to play under the tag this year. Dak will have more leverage next year than he does now. We can still control him for two additional years under the franchise tag after his four year deal is up.

If Dak is willing to take the cash per year the team is offering they should get the deal done now. If Dak isn't then that is a different story entirely.