News: Agent's Take: A five-year deal Dak Prescott should consider

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The only QB that deserved the gtd money is Wilson. Goff somewhere between Dak and Mayfield, Carson is between Dak and Tannehill. But neither "deserved" their guaranteed money.

"Deserved" and "the market" are 2 different things. New deals are based on the market. So by the market, this is not a good offer.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not necessarily. You don't know how much is guaranteed up front. That number could be much, much higher then all the rest. We don't know what that is and if that number is higher, that also explains why the 5 years are necessary for the Cowboys to make the deal work.

All those 4-year deals are in line with one another. Dak's deal isn't. Doesn't take "what-ifs" to see that plainly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"Deserved" and "the market" are 2 different things. New deals are based on the market. So by the market, this is not a good offer.

I agree. Just as Jimmy G contract of 27 mill a in 2018 was tops now his deal is 10th in the NFL. If all QB hit the free agent market all at the same time it would be easier to say who deserves what but you deal with who is a FA now.

RamziD

Reaction score
Before TC starts a deal will be reached. It’s in both party’s interests. Given the new information, I’m going to predict 4/150M with 112M guaranteed.

Edit: changed the guaranteed amount. Thought the were closer to 60% of the contract but they’re actuall around 75%.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Let's breakdown the Prescott-Cowboys contract situation: Dak Prescott, per insiders, is not budging on a contract worth $40+ million dollars per year — and by all accounts, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front-office feel out of their comfort zone with offering Prescott a contract worth $33-$35 million dollars per year.

As of yesterday, insiders say that Dak Prescott's latest counter-offer consists of a whopping $42 million dollars per year, for 4-5 years. Now: Le'ts take $42 million dollars with a grain of salt. While we have a number to report, we do not, however, have any information beyond that number. We do not know the proposed guaranteed dollar amount. We do not know if certain potential contract incentives favor the team. We simply have one number at this point: $42 million per year. In August of last year, Dak Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would've paid him $30 million per year, per CBS. We also learned in August of last year, that Prescott first demanded $40 million dollars per year, per USA Today. Yesterday's news of $42 million per year shouldn't be seen as anything other than symbolic: Dak isn't budging. And Jerry Jones seems unwilling to go up in price — as he is already at his limit with Prescott — offering the Quarterback $33-$35 million dollars per year. How will this play out? Well, the Cowboys responded by signing a well known, and well-established Quarterback — Andy Dalton. If Prescott does decide to hold-out due to himself not receiving $40 million+ dollars per year to play, Prescott would be saying he is willing to gamble his football future on Andy Dalton not being able to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.

However, if Andy Dalton were to lead the Cowboys to success, perhaps even to the playoffs... well, Prescott's price, of course, at that point, would be so deteriorated, the Cowboys would likely offer Prescott a much lower contract than previously proposed, and Prescott would then be likely to hit the free-agent market looking for a desperate team to over-pay him. Again, assuming he, A: Holds-out. B: Andy Dalton actually wins games and makes things spicy throughout the season (Jerry loves spicy.)

But will Dak hold-out? Per Mike Florio, the likelihood of Prescott holding out is "high."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There absolutely was discussion from the perspective of the team. For example, if they have Dak on the franchise tag for two years they would be paying him a higher annual salary than under a 4 year contract, but without the control over the player a 4 year contract allows. Also that salaries are only going up with new TV conracts becoming a factor and with Watson and Mahomes due to negotiate new deals in a year, and if they don't sign Dak now, they could be faced with negotiating next year in a market that is paying QB's over $40 miilion/year. That's not to say Dak would get as much as Mahomes, but as the top contracts higher and higher, all other contracts get pulled up to another level as well.

Nope. They discuss this only from the perspective of keeping him and agreeing to terms. Nothing about Tag him and move on. I disagree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
and that is your view. Contracts by and large are based on prediction. If you are of the mindset he will fail then your longer terms view makes sense to you.

Contracts, by and large are based on prediction? Where is that written?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let's breakdown the Prescott-Cowboys contract situation: Dak Prescott, per insiders, is not budging on a contract worth $40+ million dollars per year — and by all accounts, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front-office feel out of their comfort zone with offering Prescott a contract worth $33-$35 million dollars per year.

As of yesterday, insiders say that Dak Prescott's latest counter-offer consists of a whopping $42 million dollars per year, for 4-5 years. Now: Le'ts take $42 million dollars with a grain of salt. While we have a number to report, we do not, however, have any information beyond that number. We do not know the proposed guaranteed dollar amount. We do not know if certain potential contract incentives favor the team. We simply have one number at this point: $42 million per year. In August of last year, Dak Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would've paid him $30 million per year, per CBS. We also learned in August of last year, that Prescott first demanded $40 million dollars per year, per USA Today. Yesterday's news of $42 million per year shouldn't be seen as anything other than symbolic: Dak isn't budging. And Jerry Jones seems unwilling to go up in price — as he is already at his limit with Prescott — offering the Quarterback $33-$35 million dollars per year. How will this play out? Well, the Cowboys responded by signing a well known, and well-established Quarterback — Andy Dalton. If Prescott does decide to hold-out due to himself not receiving $40 million+ dollars per year to play, Prescott would be saying he is willing to gamble his football future on Andy Dalton not being able to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.

However, if Andy Dalton were to lead the Cowboys to success, perhaps even to the playoffs... well, Prescott's price, of course, at that point, would be so deteriorated, the Cowboys would likely offer Prescott a much lower contract than previously proposed, and Prescott would then be likely to hit the free-agent market looking for a desperate team to over-pay him. Again, assuming he, A: Holds-out. B: Andy Dalton actually wins games and makes things spicy throughout the season (Jerry loves spicy.)

But will Dak hold-out? Per Mike Florio, the likelihood of Prescott holding out is "high."

I'm not buying into the per year deal when all any team is on the hook for is guaranteed money. that 35 or even 40 a year is not guaranteed money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All those 4-year deals are in line with one another. Dak's deal isn't. Doesn't take "what-ifs" to see that plainly.

Yeah OK. Money up front, like say 80 or 100 mil in advance is a big deal. You don't know what that number is so you can't say anything at this point. If you can't see that, then lets just stop right here because you aren't here to discuss. You are here to push agenda or argue.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They should do a 4 year deal and keep bringing unheralded QBs into camp that are smart, athletic, coachable and show extreme upside. In 4 years, things can change a great deal. Dak is not the obvious, elite variety QB that makes up the top 5 in the league. The market could go soft for a player who instead of being a top 10 QB in 4 years turns out to be a top 15 QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Contracts, by and large are based on prediction? Where is that written?

In the fact that players are getting deals not just based on past season but projections of what they will do in the future. In no universe is Russell Wilson the best QB in the NFL so why he is paid as the highest? Clearly he was the best QB who was in a FA year but not best in terms of active QB, Jimmy G was paid as the highest and it sure as heck was not based on what he had done to that point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In the fact that players are getting deals not just based on past season but projections of what they will do in the future. In no universe is Russell Wilson the best QB in the NFL so why he is paid as the highest? Clearly he was the best QB who was in a FA year but not best in terms of active QB, Jimmy G was paid as the highest and it sure as heck was not based on what he had done to that point.

Aughhh.... yeah, I think he is. Wilson is the best QB in the NFL IMO and it's really not close. Jimmy G was never the highest paid QB in the NFL. His contract was all about ease of exit if he didn't work out.

But what does any of that have to do with Dak? Not only is the info inaccurate, it's not applicable.

RamziD

Reaction score
Also, something that needs to be considered is that the player, and especially a QB, always has the leverage. After all, the owners need them for their teams to succeed. Let’s say Dak plays hardball and holds out or somehow gets the team to release him. If he hits the market, there will be a dozen teams after him. I don’t know how much they’ll offer but competition for a QBs services probably drives the price up and there’s always a team out there willing to pay up (see Vikings and Cousins). But there’s never more than 2-4 guys through the draft or free agency who you can get to replace a starting QB, and you would have to compete with other teams to get one.

So, in the end, Dak will end up getting most or everything he wants and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s got all the leverage. The 1-2M in yearly cap hits won’t make a difference regarding continuing to build the team. We know teams can effectively work around the cap year in and year out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Also, something that needs to be considered is that the player, and especially a QB, always has the leverage. After all, the owners need them for their teams to succeed. Let’s say Dak plays hardball and holds out or somehow gets the team to release him. If he hits the market, there will be a dozen teams after him. I don’t know how much they’ll offer but competition for a QBs services probably drives the price up and there’s always a team out there willing to pay up (see Vikings and Cousins). But there’s never more than 2-4 guys through the draft or free agency who you can get to replace a starting QB, and you would have to compete with other teams to get one.

So, in the end, Dak will end up getting most or everything he wants and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s got all the leverage. The 1-2M in yearly cap hits won’t make a difference regarding continuing to build the team. We know teams can effectively work around the cap year in and year out.

This might or might not be true, IMO. I mean, how exactly does Dak go about getting the team to release him out right? How does he do this without hurting himself?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly what the hangup is between the sides I cant understand.

If its 4 years vs 5 I cant see why the team is balking.

He must be asking for a shorter deal but most of it guaranteed. That's the only issue I'd have if I'm the team.

4 at 35 per is 140, but he must be looking for like 120 of it guaranteed, and that cant happen.

Otherwise, letting him bet on himself is advantage team big time.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah OK. Money up front, like say 80 or 100 mil in advance is a big deal. You don't know what that number is so you can't say anything at this point. If you can't see that, then lets just stop right here because you aren't here to discuss. You are here to push agenda or argue.

LOL. You responded to my post to another. Seems to be your M.O. I mean, I know you're exhausted from getting slammed left and right by other posters today with your crappy takes but don't try to take it out on me.

So since YOU mentioned it, how about you show where in the world getting $105M guaranteed over a 5-year deal is better than more money guaranteed over a 4-year deal. And I mean besides $105M due at signing, lol. Below are those numbers again. And as for your $80M to $100M in advance, show me a contract out there in the NFL that's even close to structured like that on a 5-year deal and why it's better than any of the 4-year deals listed below.

Wilson: 4 years, $140M ($107M guaranteed)
Goff: 4 years, $134M ($110M guaranteed)
Wentz: 4 years, $128M ($108M guaranteed)
Dak: 5 years, $175M ($105M guaranteed) - rumored and $175M based on $35M yearly average

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Exactly what the hangup is between the sides I cant understand.

If its 4 years vs 5 I cant why the team is balking.

He must be asking for a shorter deal but most of it guaranteed. That's the only issue I'd have if I'm the team.

4 at 35 per is 140, but he must be looking for like 120 of it guaranteed, and that cant happen.

Otherwise, letting him bet on himself is advantage team big time.

Exactly. If he wants a really large amount of that deal up front, which I hate BTW, then you need more years to spread that out. You can't have 100 mil hitting your cap all in the same year, or even 3 or 4 years depending on the number. Lets say he's getting 100 mil plus signing bonus of an additional 10, that's and average of like 27.5 hitting the cap, all by itself every year. That's a huge amount and that doesn't include base or whatever else is negotiated. Just one additional year makes that number much more manageable. Then you are looking at something like 22 and that could easily be the key for them. It's just the numbers. If Dak wants only 4 years, then I think he needs to be looking at something in the area of 90 mil guaranteed and an AAV of something like 30. You gotta be able to manage the cap.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL. You responded to my post to another. Seems to be your M.O. I mean, I know you're exhausted from getting slammed left and right by other posters today with your crappy takes but don't try to take it out on me.

So since YOU mentioned it, how about you show where in the world getting $105M guaranteed over a 5-year deal is better than more money guaranteed over a 4-year deal. And I mean besides $105M due at signing, lol. Below are those numbers again. And as for your $80M to $100M in advance, show me a contract out there in the NFL that's even close to structured like that on a 5-year deal and why it's better than any of the 4-year deals listed below.

Wilson: 4 years, $140M ($107M guaranteed)
Goff: 4 years, $134M ($110M guaranteed)
Wentz: 4 years, $128M ($108M guaranteed)
Dak: 5 years, $175M ($105M guaranteed) - rumored and $175M based on $35M yearly average

I guess you are not understanding here. Guaranteed and up front are not the same thing. Up front is what goes directly into a players account the minute he signs and that's different. That has to be accounted for with the years you have available. So it makes a big difference in what a player actually gets and how many years a team has. You can't just compare those numbers to what is RUMORED to be offered to Dak. You have to understand what that upfront number is because it changes everything. All of the contracts you show up above are extensions so those deals are actually being spread out over more then 4 years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anybody know if the team can tag him, sign him to a three or four year deal, and then tag him two times again the next time he’s a free agent?

Creeper

Reaction score
The old expression is "necessity is the mother of invention". The NFL is heading towards a revolution around the QB position for the very reason this agent describes. QBs are going to play this game of not signing legitimate deals to get franchise deals that will increase their value - until one of two things happens. A QB gets seriously hurt on his franchise tag agreement. Or, teams start to figure out new ways to address the QB position. Perhaps the NFL will go back to running the football or maybe even platooning QBs. There is no way NFL teams can pay QBs 30% to 40% of their salary caps or pay QBs $60 million which is where we are heading.

If this is the strategy Dak is using them I say trade him. I am fine with players getting what they can from teams but that means negotiating in good faith. If the player has no intention of signing a deal because he wants to push his leverage against his own team I draw a line. This tells me there is a good chance the player may not have winning as his highest priority. If this is what the Cowboys are sensing, then I am glad they are not caving in to Dak. If he plays poorly this year, bench him. Then see how well he does on the market next year.