News: Agent's Take: Here are the Cowboys' options with Dak Prescott as his rookie deal nears end

eastsideboy

Reaction score
What lol? The market is the market. Can we afford what he is worth and what he is asking for? 25 mil is what middle of the road QBs are getting. You do not have to like it but that is a fact.

I honestly do not know why Cowboys fans are even trying to count Daks money. SJ has shown over the last few years that he is very smart with the Cap. No matter what Dak is paid I have faith in SJ we will be fine.
What lol? The market is the market. Can we afford what he is worth and what he is asking for? 25 mil is what middle of the road QBs are getting. You do not have to like it but that is a fact.

I honestly do not know why Cowboys fans are even trying to count Daks money. SJ has shown over the last few years that he is very smart with the Cap. No matter what Dak is paid I have faith in SJ we will be fine.
that's fine as long as we're able to afford to keep all of our own players that we want to keep if not then I'll let you explain it. unless you're okay with us letting some of our best players go because we can for them. By the way what good is Dak without amari. Something to think about.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
that's fine as long as we're able to afford to keep all of our own players that we want to keep if not then I'll let you explain it. unless you're okay with us letting some of our best players go because we can for them. By the way what good is Dak without amari. Something to think about.
Its FA era. You will always lose players you do not want to lose. Its keeping the players you need to keep that matters.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Its FA era. You will always lose players you do not want to lose. Its keeping the players you need to keep that matters.
Ok im willing to lose dak if it means keeping amari. Tank. B jones and others. plus we get a third round comp pick. we got dak with a fourth. Tom brady can win games by himself dak cant.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Ok im willing to lose dak if it means keeping amari. Tank. B jones and others. plus we get a third round comp pick. we got dak with a fourth. Tom brady can win games by himself dak cant.
Doesnt matter what you or I want.

garyv

Reaction score
My thinking has been 20 to 22 mil range. I would have a hard time going higher because some of these QB's are better passers than Dak. The passing will be what keeps him from being elite now if that gets better than no issues on paying him higher.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Im at 20-25 mil I state with less taxes and he hasn't proved enough to sniff those contracts, Cousins, Ryan, and Carr should be reasons to not sign Dak at that cost.the facts are right in front of the cowboys, the Vikings went further with a backup QB at 15mil with Case Keenum then they ddi with Cousins, Washington was smart FT 2 years and let him walk, hes not bad QB but hes not worth the inflated contracts..instead of just going with the league trend , how about starting another, refuse to be willing to overpay for an unproven commodity at those prices which can hurt building the rest of your team..Dak needs playmakers around him if he cant take 22mil and stay and understand this, I say let him walk..

Team players also is about contracts, see Brady , how could have held NE to a 30mil contract and demand to be the highest paid qb every year with an escalator to be paid 1$ more then the biggest QB contract out there yearly..he didnt he took less why the F would the cowboys not get in room with Dak and debate this very thing..

what did ASmith Get? somewhere between Bortles and Smith is Daks true worth, offer it , if he turns it down let him ride on his rookie deal , go for new QB 2020 and FT dak for 2020 to bridge the gap.. easy pzy..

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Agent's Take: Here are the Cowboys' options with Dak Prescott as his rookie deal nears end
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...th-dak-prescott-as-his-rookie-deal-nears-end/

...Prescott's four-year rookie contract will expire after the 2019 season. He is scheduled to make approximately $2.05 million in 2019 thanks to earning the performance escalator available to third through seventh round picks in the final year of rookie contracts.

Signing the 2016 fourth-round pick to a contract extension may be a lot easier said than done. Nobody is going to confuse Prescott with the game's top young passers, such as Patrick Mahomes and Carson Wentz. One of the biggest criticisms about Prescott is he misses too many throws because of his inconsistent accuracy as a passer. Nonetheless, only Tom Brady, who is arguably the greatest football player of all-time, has more than Prescott's 32 regular-season wins since he entered the NFL in 2016. His 14 game-winning drives are the most in league history during a quarterback's first three NFL seasons. The Cowboys have won the NFC East twice in the three years with Prescott at quarterback...

...The QB market

There has been tremendous growth in quarterback salaries since Prescott was drafted. Ten quarterbacks were on multi-year contracts averaging at least $20 million per year at that time. There are currently 16. The $25 million per year quarterback didn't exist until Derek Carr signed a five-year, $125.025 million extension with the Raiders in June 2017. The $30-million-per-year barrier was hit this offseason when Matt Ryan received a five-year, $150 million extension from the Falcons. Ryan's deal contains NFL records of $100 million in overall guarantees and $94.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. Aaron Rodgers supplanted Ryan as the NFL's highest-paid player in the preseason with a four-year extension from the Packers averaging $33.5 million per year...

...Final thoughts

The patience Jones has exercised with Lawrence probably should apply to Prescott unless he is willing to give the Cowboys some sort of financial break. Rather than signing Lawrence to a long-term contract after a breakout 2017 campaign in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time while tying for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks, Jones was more comfortable with him playing this season under a $17.143 million franchise tag. Since Lawrence demonstrated he is the "war daddy" pass rusher Jones has been looking after releasing future Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware in 2014, it is going to cost significantly more to sign him long-term this year.

Jones doesn't seem inclined to wait, although the 2019 season could be used to evaluate whether Prescott is actually the long-term solution at quarterback since he could be franchised in 2020, if necessary. Just like in Lawrence's case, waiting would be more costly provided Prescott proves to be a potential franchise quarterback while building upon his performance during the second half of this season. The additional money would be well spent because it would come with more certainty about stability at quarterback.

Just my thought but any agent would start at our last franchise QB dollars and then work up knowing that the market value has increased since that last contract with Romo as well as salary cap dollars yearly increases. So $106 million over 5 years is the starting point and negotiate upwards from there. Does that put Prescott in the $25 million per domain or $30 million? If I'm Prescott's agent I'm going for the $30 mill domain based on those three facts plus the fact that only Brady has won more games in the last 3 years. Prescott is vastly underpaid and his agent will push hard for a new contract. We may think it's best to wait for 2019 to play out, his agent won't

Flamma

Reaction score
They really don't have a choice. That price is going to keep escalating and there are no other options for 2019. They should get him signed at market rate before the season starts and hope he continues to improve. Teams are paying guys that can't play $20M/year, so I wouldn't blink an eye if Dak got a 6 year $150M deal with $75M guaranteed. If Dak continues to win, that new deal will look cheap in tree years.

The only problem I have with a deal like that is that he is not the kind of QB that elevates the rest of the team. The rest of the team elevates his play. So if you're going to take a massive cap hit from your QB then you need to sacrifice in other areas. Dak Prescott, even though I think he's a pretty decent QB, is not taking an average team to the playoffs. So the Cowboys can't be paying him 25M a year hoping they catch lightning in a bottle in late round draft picks.

Also keep in mind that market value only goes as far as interest in quarterbacks. How many teams are looking for starting QBs? And how many of them will draft a QB? I know if I was the GM of the Jags or Giants I'm looking to the draft over paying Prescott 25+ mil a year. It's basically a no brainer. You can't go by past mistakes and think teams will repeat that. Of course there is always the risk Dak plays great in 2019 and the Cowboys are now screwed. But does anyone here think Dak is an elite QB? I'd try to sign him from between 15-18 Mil a year. I think more than that would be a mistake.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The only problem I have with a deal like that is that he is not the kind of QB that elevates the rest of the team. The rest of the team elevates his play. So if you're going to take a massive cap hit from your QB then you need to sacrifice in other areas. Dak Prescott, even though I think he's a pretty decent QB, is not taking an average team to the playoffs. So the Cowboys can't be paying him 25M a year hoping they catch lightning in a bottle in late round draft picks.

Also keep in mind that market value only goes as far as interest in quarterbacks. How many teams are looking for starting QBs? And how many of them will draft a QB? I know if I was the GM of the Jags or Giants I'm looking to the draft over paying Prescott 25+ mil a year. It's basically a no brainer. You can't go by past mistakes and think teams will repeat that. Of course there is always the risk Dak plays great in 2019 and the Cowboys are now screwed. But does anyone here think Dak is an elite QB? I'd try to sign him from between 15-18 Mil a year. I think more than that would be a mistake.
Unfortunately, the Cowboys are in no position to draft a QB. So, they can move on from Dak and waste 2019 in hope of getting a good pick in the subsequent draft or consider him the franchise QB and hope he can continue to grow as a player. The guy is a winner and that is one of the key attributes of a franchise player.

Flamma

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Cowboys are in no position to draft a QB. So, they can move on from Dak and waste 2019 in hope of getting a good pick in the subsequent draft or consider him the franchise QB and hope he can continue to grow as a player. The guy is a winner and that is one of the key attributes of a franchise player.

The Cowboys do not have to extend him this season. It's not like he'll go play for someone else.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys do not have to extend him this season. It's not like he'll go play for someone else.
True, but the price will go up every year. They should know what they have NOW and either pull the trigger or cut bait, perhaps with a trade. Now is when they will get the most for him.

Flamma

Reaction score
True, but the price will go up every year. They should know what they have NOW and either pull the trigger or cut bait, perhaps with a trade. Now is when they will get the most for him.

What do you think Dallas will get in a trade for Dak? Do you think the Giants or Jags will give up their first pick?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What do you think Dallas will get in a trade for Dak? Do you think the Giants or Jags will give up their first pick?
The Giants will take the kid from Ohio State. There are a number of teams in need of a QB and the market is not rich with talent. The Cowboys could gin up some interest in Dak, perhaps even get a first round pick for him, but where do they go from there? The draft and FA market are thin in QB talent.