Twitter: Aikman on Dak: "I say pay the man"

Fire407

Reaction score
I think Jerry knows he has to pay Dak a lot now. But I think that Dak is asking far more than Jerry is willing to pay. We don't know the kind of negotiations going on, but Dak is more than likely expecting to get over $35 million a year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is news? Everybody and their dog knows Dak gets a fat contract soon, they're just haggling over length. Besides, what else is a former Cowboys QB going to say?
He doesn't have to say anything, and in fact, there was a time where he expressed less than full confidence in Dak

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He doesn't have to say anything, and in fact, there was a time where he expressed less than full confidence in Dak

Since he previously was concerned about Dak's performance, saying this now has to mean he feels Dak has improved. Therefore I give a lot of weight to his comment...

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree. He has made me a believer. He is only 25/26...is that not the age Romo was when he became a starter? And Dak has been a starter for almost 4 years.

cern

Reaction score
Troy is the man. I always loved him and always will.

That being said. I always thought he was wrong about the accuracy thing. Some QB’s can improve accuracy, depending on what is causing the inaccuracy.
dak just needed better coaching. he got it and made the most of it. kudos to dak and kitna.

cern

Reaction score
it's troubling we can't even meet on a middle ground with dak and his agents. that's usually where the negotiations begin. but we can't even get there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy is the man. I always loved him and always will.

That being said. I always thought he was wrong about the accuracy thing. Some QB’s can improve accuracy, depending on what is causing the inaccuracy.

It also helps that Dak's wrs are wide open. He's got 3 guys that get separation. Troy had to throw the ball to Irvin and his window was the size of a shoe box. Troy isn't wrong on the accuracy. What changed is that Dak has time to throw and his wrs are visibly open. You notice how much better Dak got when Cooper arrived. Now Gallup is rising to that level.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It also helps that Dak's wrs are wide open. He's got 3 guys that get separation. Troy had to throw the ball to Irvin and his window was the size of a shoe box. Troy isn't wrong on the accuracy. What changed is that Dak has time to throw and his wrs are visibly open. You notice how much better Dak got when Cooper arrived. Now Gallup is rising to that level.
I've got to disagree with this. Aside from the fact that a QB cannot average 322 yards per game only throwing to wide open receivers, part of Dak's problem in the past, I believe, is that he was trying to wait until receivers were wide open, which caused him to hold the ball too long, which resulted in all the sacks and fumbles last year. This year he is trusting his reads, and the routes much more, and is throwing balls prior to the WR making his cut, and throwing more into coverage and into seams, trusting himself, and the receivers to make plays. That has been a notable difference this year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I remember him saying you either have it or you don't lol. His tuner has changed.
He was talking about accuracy for the most part. Dak, as much as I maligned him, was not terribly inaccurate. A lot of his accuracy issues have to do with footwork timing on his drop, last year many of his drops had different stride lengths and he got to his spot either too fast or too slow or too deep or too shallow. The refinement in his mechanics helps him with repeatable throwing motion and release point and also the fact he does not load up as often like he is a short stop trying to throw a guy out from deep in the hole.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Romo and Dak developed themselves, I'm convinced Garrett had nothing to do with it.
I thinka good QB coach with a young QB is important, Romo had Lee then Wilson, Dak started with Wilson, got Moore, and then finally Kitna.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was talking about accuracy for the most part. Dak, as much as I maligned him, was not terribly inaccurate. A lot of his accuracy issues have to do with footwork timing on his drop, last year many of his drops had different stride lengths and he got to his spot either too fast or too slow or too deep or too shallow. The refinement in his mechanics helps him with repeatable throwing motion and release point and also the fact he does not load up as often like he is a short stop trying to throw a guy out from deep in the hole.
He’s a lot accurate now then before. Aikman was wrong.

Reaction score
there was a time where he expressed less than full confidence in Dak

That's true of everyone who was making honest assessments of Dak,,, though I take your point that his comment could be more of an expression of personal approval rather than a goading of the Cowboys front office.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true of everyone who was making honest assessments of Dak,,, though I take your point that his comment could be more of an expression of personal approval rather than a goading of the Cowboys front office.
That's the point - why would we think he was being honest then but not now?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He's been beating up some weak competition, but with that said, he definitely deserves to be paid. Here's the top average QB salaries in the league:

TWRldbt.png

Not sure you can say he doesn't belong on this list.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He's been beating up some weak competition, but with that said, he definitely deserves to be paid. Here's the top average QB salaries in the league:

TWRldbt.png

I definitely think he can read defenses better than Goff. Sucks for the cap but based on this season alone he slots between Ryan and Rodgers.

MyUserName

Reaction score

I say pay him too ...just not the insane and completely unwarranted price his agent is asking for.

If he gets this team to the NFC Championship Game like a “winner worthy of such payment” then I’ll change my mind. Jerry can empty the bank for him at that point.

*You Dak jock sniffers don’t bother responding. My mind isn’t changing on this topic.

MyUserName

Reaction score

TWRldbt.png

Barring an NFC Championship appearance (preferably a win) then he shouldn’t get anything more than Matt Ryan money...and even that is being generous imo.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Barring an NFC Championship appearance (preferably a win) then he shouldn’t get anything more than Matt Ryan money...and even that is being generous imo.

How do you figure? What have Wentz, Cousins, or Jimmy G done to earn that much money? That's the market price.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Actually, Dak’s accuracy was never that bad to begin with.

Any insinuation that he has to have wide open receivers is a complete fallacy.

having receivers who get open consistently obviously helps though.