Video: Aikman to Rocket

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
Wasn't that their stadium opener?

Remember it like it was yesterday. Watching it at grandmas house surrounded by werthers originals, awful furniture and of course ferns.

Not sure if it was their stadium opener. I can remember some chick I was datin at the time would drag me to church and that was the only play of the game I caught.

khiladi

Reaction score
I remeber dropping my cousin off to work and saw a guy in a Cowboys jersey and yelled something to the effect like, "Yea Cowboys..." He looked at me wit disappointment like, man we got blown out. I told him we won in overtime. He was like "what?!?!"

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
I remeber dropping my cousin off to work and saw a guy in a Cowboys jersey and yelled something to the effect like, "Yea Cowboys..." He looked at me wit disappointment like, man we got blown out. I told him we won in overtime. He was like "what?!?!"

lol. good stuff

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know if it was a stadium Opener but was thinking it was season opener.

And I could be wrong on this as sometimes a persons memories will be wrong.

But I could swear when I watched that originally that shortly after that play the cameras flashed up to the Owners's box and Daniel Snyder was fuming and cussing like he was throwing a temper tantrum. I have never seen it in a replay since that so maybe my memory is completely wrong.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Galloway never got injured, the 'trade' probably wouldn't have looked so bad. The guy was killing it in Seattle from every position from what I remember.

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
Don't know if it was a stadium Opener but was thinking it was season opener.

And I could be wrong on this as sometimes a persons memories will be wrong.

But I could swear when I watched that originally that shortly after that play the cameras flashed up to the Owners's box and Daniel Snyder was fuming and cussing like he was throwing a temper tantrum. I have never seen it in a replay since that so maybe my memory is completely wrong.

It was for sure the season opener. I can vouch for that

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
What a great play against our most hated rivals.

Not bashing Aikman or Rocket, but that's just a bad mistake at the worst possible time on the part of the defense more than a great play by the Cowboys. That being said, I remember jumping off the coach and running the length of the living room as Rocket crossed the goal line.

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
Not bashing Aikman or Rocket, but that's just a bad mistake at the worst possible time on the part of the defense more than a great play by the Cowboys. That being said, I remember jumping off the coach and running the length of the living room as Rocket crossed the goal line.

The defense bit on the play action pass thats what is designed to do.

JPostSam

Reaction score
that ball was thrown perfectly.

oh, and, what a decent o-line and a credible run game do for a team's passing attack!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Its basically the exact same thing as the Holley play against SF, only Rocket scored.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
The defense bit on the play action pass thats what is designed to do.

Didn't the comeback start once Emmitt took over the game. He was running right through their D.

I noticed how loud the cheers were for the Cowboys.

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
I don't know man. I was in church that day and only caught the final play of the game.

Nomad

Reaction score
That was the season opener in 1999, I remember I still had hope but it was the beginning of the end in a lot of ways. Went 8-8 that year and Gailey was fired.

Reaction score
The defense bit on the play action pass that's what is designed to do.

Exactly! That's what a strong running game does for you. If you're run game sucks those guys don't even consider biting, they're busy clogging up the secondary looking for INTs.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly! That's what a strong running game does for you. If you're run game sucks those guys don't even consider biting, they're busy clogging up the secondary looking for INTs.

This is a common comment, and I always wonder at it. The defense should be reacting to the formation and tendencies. Even if a bad running back gets the ball, they're going to take him just as seriously as they'd take a good one. Meaning they're going to move up to fill if they think you're running it.

About the only thing having a better running game does is naturally influence your tendencies. Since you're more successful with it, you're more likely to run it more often. The flip side of that is there's also benefit in calling plays across your tendencies.
Overall, I'm not sure there's much evidence to support that a strong running game makes misdirection more effective than a weak one. Though I'd be interested in hearing the arguments to the contrary. I'm sure there are some good ones.