Video: Aikman to Rocket

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wasn't that their stadium opener?

Remember it like it was yesterday. Watching it at grandmas house surrounded by werthers originals, awful furniture and of course ferns.

It was the season opener and Daniel Snyder's first game as the Commanders owner.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Exactly! That's what a strong running game does for you. If you're run game sucks those guys don't even consider biting, they're busy clogging up the secondary looking for INTs.

I recall that game very clearly. What I remember the most was that we got down and started to go all pass. Emmitt was on the sidelines screaming at coaches to give him the ball. They do and he just eats right though the D and leads two TD drives that put us back in reach.

burmafrd

Reaction score
This is a common comment, and I always wonder at it. The defense should be reacting to the formation and tendencies. Even if a bad running back gets the ball, they're going to take him just as seriously as they'd take a good one. Meaning they're going to move up to fill if they think you're running it.

About the only thing having a better running game does is naturally influence your tendencies. Since you're more successful with it, you're more likely to run it more often. The flip side of that is there's also benefit in calling plays across your tendencies.
Overall, I'm not sure there's much evidence to support that a strong running game makes misdirection more effective than a weak one. Though I'd be interested in hearing the arguments to the contrary. I'm sure there are some good ones.

When you suck so badly like we do running the ball then the D KNOWS that there is MINIMAL risk of getting badly burned. simple as that. And they are exactly right to ignore our running game. Smart players would anyway

erod

Reaction score
That was the the end for Aikman. His last great game.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
looked a bit like the Cowboys OT win over the 49ers a couple of years ago (Romo to Holley)...still wish Holley could have gotten into the endzone on that one

rynochop

Reaction score
awesome moment and game, luckily they didnt call that false start by Emmitt.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I recall that game very clearly. What I remember the most was that we got down and started to go all pass. Emmitt was on the sidelines screaming at coaches to give him the ball. They do and he just eats right though the D and leads two TD drives that put us back in reach.

We were down by 21 pts and the Skins fans were feeling mighty good. It sucked being there until the comeback in the 4th quarter. I never felt so miserable at a Cowboys Skins game and I never felt so good being at one like this game. The comeback and then the quick strike in OT to win it was like a dagger in the heart for 70,000+ Skins fans. Normally Skins fans will mouth off to Cowboys fans there win or lose - but not that day. Not a word from a Skins fan after that game!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That play is almost exactly like the play where Romo hit Holley in the 49'er game...very similar.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That was the the end for Aikman. His last great game.

It was the last great performance of TheTriplets as we knew them. Aikman i believe set a career high with 5 TDs. Irvin came on strong late with really some unbelievable CLUTCH catches with people draped all over him. Emmitt finished with over 100 yds and a TD. It was a glorious day to be in attendance at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.

It was truly a game of runs. The Boys took control early with a 14-3 lead then the Skins completely dominated the 2nd-3rd quarters. Our CBs were a complete joke that day. Charlie Williams(?) and Kevin Mathis were burnt to a crisp. anyway, the cowboys stormed back with 21 points late to tie the game. Again, Irvin was huge late in that game...

punchnjudy

Reaction score
I think I enjoyed that win more than any other between the '96 and '06 seasons. Can't think of another one offhand that comes close.

Plankton

Reaction score
Biggest play of that game was the play before, when Moose recovered an Emmitt Smith fumble.

Last play for Johnston in a Cowboy uniform, BTW.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
They ran that play in regulation and Rocket dropped the ball. Just went through his hands.

They then sat on it and waited.

What I love about replays such as this is the camera angles that show the fans in the stands. Especially when it is in the other team's stadium.

I love watching the reactions of the fans.

I think there is another angle of this pass play and there is a woman that goes berserk. She is a Commanders fan.

I suppose that is a terrible thing to find fascinating.

Reaction score
This is a common comment, and I always wonder at it. The defense should be reacting to the formation and tendencies. Even if a bad running back gets the ball, they're going to take him just as seriously as they'd take a good one. Meaning they're going to move up to fill if they think you're running it.

About the only thing having a better running game does is naturally influence your tendencies. Since you're more successful with it, you're more likely to run it more often. The flip side of that is there's also benefit in calling plays across your tendencies.
Overall, I'm not sure there's much evidence to support that a strong running game makes misdirection more effective than a weak one. Though I'd be interested in hearing the arguments to the contrary. I'm sure there are some good ones.

lol......