Aikman was average: regular season - 141 int's to 165 td's

aikemirv

Reaction score
Anyone questioning Aikman is younger than 35 and still needs to learn that stats don't tell the entire story.

They can now resume their Romo worshipping.
Aikman had a team around him and did what was required to make that team excellent. He never had to do too much. He could have done a lot more but that was not the scheme. I have never said Romo was better than Aikman. However Romo was the team for the majority of his time here and we would never have had winning seasons during that time if Romo had just been able to put up Aikman STATS.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Your money is made in the PO and SB, how you perform then. Regular season awards will have you look no farther than the Beard in the NBA. Puts up GREAT regular season numbers each year BUT get back to me when it is time for the rubber to meet the road in the PO.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is a dumb post. Aikman was clutch. Aikman was the QB of a ground and pound team. Jimmy Johnson said more than once Aikman was held back due to the team's philosophy of running Smith. Very sorry, but again, DUMB Post!

anybody who questions Aikman’s ability should be forced to watch the 1992 NFC Championship game at Candlestick Park. Aikman was almost flawless, especially in the 2nd half. They beat an excellent 49er team that was 14-2, in their house. I have this game on DVD and on PVR from the NFL Network. I watch it often. It’s my favourite game ever.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess what many of these young, very stupid folks who select the "Top QB's List" forget is when Moon, Aikman, Bradshaw, and Elway played, they got the absolute hell beaten out of them. There were no QB protection rules that the new young guns are protected by. I think it's unfair to group these players from different eras onto the same list. Aikman suffered at least eight concussions, at least two in a single season, a season he can't remember. Today, the QB's have protection rules and protocols that were not present when these four greats played. If you don't think that makes a huge difference in completion percentages, you've never played football!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yes, we share a football team with these people.

They are Dak fans not Cowboy fan apparently. To try and disparage Aikman to lift up Dak is just totally ignorant.

Dak will never win SB's like Aikman did...as a matte of fact, Dak will most likely never even sniff a SB.

I wish I had the address to these Dak jokers, I could sell them Bobble Heads and Dak crap and they would eat it up.

Never in my time on earth have I witnessed such a love fest for such an average player...it's embarrassing to me, but, these cats have no shame...every day...Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak...same crap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They are Dak fans not Cowboy fan apparently. To try and disparage Aikman to lift up Dak is just totally ignorant.

Dak will never win SB's like Aikman did...as a matte of fact, Dak will most likely never even sniff a SB.

I wish I had the address to these Dak jokers, I could sell them Bobble Heads and Dak crap and they would eat it up.

Never in my time on earth have I witnessed such a love fest for such an average player...it's embarrassing to me, but, these cats have no shame...every day...Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak...same crap.

You don't think you can be a Cowboy fan AND a Dak fan?

You know what's crazy? I've never experienced so much hatred for such a "average" player that you claim him to be lol. It makes no sense lol.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You know what's crazy? I've never experienced so much hatred for such a "average" player that you claim him to be lol. It makes no sense lol.
Hey Amigo, let's be honest here. The OP was designed to denigrate Aikman and build up Dak. There is no need for that kind of animosity on this site. Aikman got the Cowboys three SB trophies, some of these "Cowboys fans" seem to have forgotten that fact!

plasticman

Reaction score
Love Dak......but, no........not. even close to a valid comparison.

In 1989 Troy.....had....nothing.....no help.....they traded their only Pro Bowler on offense, Herschel......Not all of the safety rules of today were implemented. The Eagle defense hit Troy so hard he was bleeding out of his ears. They abused Troy for two seasons.

Three seasons later Troy is the SB MVP in what would be the first of three SB's in four seasons as well as four consecutive NFC championship games.

We hope Dak can compare when it is all over but for now? No.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hey Amigo, let's be honest here. The OP was designed to denigrate Aikman and build up Dak. There is no need for that kind of animosity on this site. Aikman got the Cowboys three SB trophies, some of these "Cowboys fans" seem to have forgotten that fact!

I mean......I have respect for Aikman....he's the 2nd best quarterback this franchise has ever seen. It goes 1) Staubach 2) Aikman and 3) Dak. So I have respect for the guy but I can't sit here and say he didn't play for stacked teams. I also can't sit here and say if they had Warren Moon or Steve Young or Boomer Eaison or Brett Favre and say they wouldn't have 3 rings.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Using the SAME standards Dak haters use.
Wasn’t the league a little different back then? Getting 3k passing was a thing and maybe 1 or 2 guys touched 30+tds.....also int numbers where much higher. It’s like saying the hitters in baseball in the early 1900s hit better than the guys today. It’s a different game now

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Of course. I'm a Dak fan, but not a fan of his greed.

However, for you lovers to come here and post stupid stuff like, Aikman sucked, Romo sucked, Dak could have beaten Payton Manning's record...how he beat this and that QB, and other stuff just to puff up Dak. I'm sure I have forgotten other instances of how much greater he is than anyone else, or that he could be...maybe?

I wonder when you fans are going to start with Dak was even better than Rodger the Dodger...

When Dakota accomplishes anything, then we can talk about his greatness without degrading a HOF'er. 3 SB.

khiladi

Reaction score
By this logic, not only is Dak better thank Aikman, so is Goff. And further, Dak and Goff are not only better than Aikman, but Montana and Elway as well. I mean the ‘stats say it’...

How many times this Dak is better than Aikman based on stats, while completely ignoring every other all-time QB in that era is just insane. Dak couldn’t even work with Dez Bryant, because of lack of speed in this soft era and is complete garbage on the grass and road (which is why Amari ‘disappears’ on the road) and these Dak fans literally compare their mediocrity at QB to those all time greats, who played when DBs could launch themselves off the ground over the middle, hit the QB below the waist, put their hands on DBs and so on. Just stop.. seriously..

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
So has anyone compiled Staubach’s stats yet. I am pretty sure he was average always need the 4th qtr to win

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course. I'm a Dak fan, but not a fan of his greed.

However, for you lovers to come here and post stupid stuff like, Aikman sucked, Romo sucked, Dak could have beaten Payton Manning's record...how he beat this and that QB, and other stuff just to puff up Dak. I'm sure I have forgotten other instances of how much greater he is than anyone else, or that he could be...maybe?

I wonder when you fans are going to start with Dak was even better than Rodger the Dodger...

When Dakota accomplishes anything, then we can talk about his greatness without degrading a HOF'er. 3 SB.
A fan of his greed?

Jay

Reaction score
I got through about 3 replies and couldn’t take anymore.

Anyone ever watch his special on NFL Network?

It’s wild to think about but as they go over his toughness, literally every play they show would be a penalty today. It pays homage to not only what Aikman’s toughness was, but how soft these current players are.

I don’t mean this in some jerk way whatsoever, I really don’t. It was just mind blowing to watch where every time I saw a play, I’d think “that’s a penalty”.

Aikman wasn’t the best of all time but these QB’s today have it easy.

He was one hell of a leader, I’ll say that.

Dude was a gamer. Anyone arguing otherwise is a clown, I don’t care about stats.

Motorola

Reaction score
Aikman came prepared and the game was over by halftime. He would complete 8 or 9 of his first 10 passes to start a game (remember the Madden stats?) on a down the field passing team and didn’t need to pad the stats.

also beat other teams that were as loaded in the playoffs with HOF QBs.
1993 AFC Title Game: Chiefs w/ Joe Montana v. Bills w/ Jim Kelly
1993 NFC Title Game: 49ers w/ Steve Young v. Cowboys w/ Troy Aikman