Akin Ayodele passing the torch

Wood

Reaction score
look everyone on defense can't be a star....you need role players and Akin is just that. That really the secret to NE success if that they have a ton of role players who are accountable. You need guys like Akin. Wade came in with a clean slate and Carp had every opportunity in the world to demonstrate his ability...he obviously didnt show enough...I even remember Wade commenting on Carp lack of rushing ability. Thats not a good thing on this defense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wood;1748922 said:
look everyone on defense can't be a star....you need role players and Akin is just that. That really the secret to NE success if that they have a ton of role players who are accountable. You need guys like Akin. Wade came in with a clean slate and Carp had every opportunity in the world to demonstrate his ability...he obviously didnt show enough...I even remember Wade commenting on Carp lack of rushing ability. Thats not a good thing on this defense.
Wade never said Carpenter lacked rushing ability. And ILBs aren't judged on the pass-rushing ability.

Wood

Reaction score
you dont think James isn't judged on his ability to rush the passer from ILB position? And yes Wade commented (this was a big deal on this board) on Carp not having good pass rushing ability.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wood;1748951 said:
you dont think James is judged on his ability to rush the passer from ILB position? And yes Wade commented (this was a big deal on this board) on Carp not having good pass rushing ability.
Go back and look up the quote. Mac Engel was the reporter. It initially appeared in a blog post, by Mac, then in an article. Wade did not say that Carpenter didn't have good pass-rushing ability.

And no, I don't think pass-rushing ability is the premier concern when judging ILBs.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
junk;1748470 said:
Burnett backs up Akin, so if there is a challenge, it will come from there first.

I was a big advocate of drafting Carpenter because I thought he was a perfect fit for the defense. He's looked tentative and nothing like he did at Ohio State. I really don't think he's done anything to warrant additional playing time at this point.

Man is that right.

He's been a major disappointment to me.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
sacase;1748777 said:
Easy, make plays in practice. Make plays in Training camp, make plays in preseason games. If you make mistakes in practice and you do not practice better than the guy in front ofyou what makes you think you should be able to play in a game ahead of that guy. You earn you stripes in practice. If you can't get it done there then you can't get it done in a game.

I don't claim to know what goes on in practice, and I have a feeling you don't know either. So I would like to know where you get all your information about how poorly Carpenter is doing in practice. You make it sound like the guy is stinking up the place.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
theogt;1748892 said:
I don't really think it's that simple. I think it takes quite a lot to unseat a starter. Unless the starter is absolutely sucking it up it usually isn't going to happen, even if they think the backup might be better.

Look at Wade's comments about Ratliff in yesterday's press conference. He said during training camp he was trying to get Ratliff a starting position on the line, because he deserved to be starting. He probably thought Ratliff was better than Spears or Canty, but he wouldn't pull them. He's too "loyal" in that way.

The thought has crossed my mind about Carpenter replacing Ayodele (next season). Though Akin's been okay this season, he gets lost in traffic quite a bit. The contrast is stark when you compare him to Bradie, who's magnificent at finding the ball carrier in traffic. I'm not sure Carpenter would do any better, though, and I really don't like Burnett in on running downs.
wow...yet another thing we agree on...this is getting scary....Akin is getting lost in traffic....we are going to have to make a decision on Burnett soon..I don't think we will keep Carpenter AND Burnett UNLESS Akin is removed...Akin is NOT playing so spectacular that you toss Carpenter to the streets without getting a really good look. Whether that is right or not does not matter...at some point we have to SEE in a REAL game if Carpenter can play BECAUSE he was a first round pick. That is just the way it is. I would find it alarming that a team that never even used to draft LBers high....let alone re-sign them when their contract was up (see Norton, Godfrey etc..) would allow Carpenter to just play special teams for a couple of years then let him go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I not only haven't noticed Akin playing badly, I've loved that all of our LBs seem to be making positive contributions on Defense and Special Teams. I think Akin has played very well. In fact I've thoroughly enjoyed hsi aggressiveness the last 2 weeks.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i think akin's just been playing his role allowing bradie to go for the tackle. otherwise it would be like the broncos that jaws showed on their espn matchup show. their lbs were all trying to makes plays and the result is one of the worst run def in the league.

only bad thing I've seen is being able to tackle the dumpoff pass receiver. cowboys just don't seem to be able to make the first tackle or hold the guy from getting yac.

burnett is a good player, just too injury prone. and i'm hoping it's bobby carpenter's ankle that's bad like newman had his sophmore year and just playing through it. because carpenter just doesn't look very active compared to last year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1748730 said:
He gets the chance every single day in practice. Wade does a good job of getting players on the field if he thinks you have the ability to contribute in some sort of role. There were times in San Diego where he would have 3 OLB pass rushers in the same package with Shaun Phillips, Shawne Merriman, and Steve Foley all on the field at the same time. The fact that Carpenter is not even working his way into the defense in any way, shape or form pretty much tells you all you need to know about how he's performing.

Wade likes to start vets

but Carp isn't doing anything to change his mind

Akin being compared to Al Singleton is spot-on, he doesn't make mistakes

Reaction score
:lmao: this is one of the most ridiculous threads... Akin Ayodele is playing okay Bobby Carpenter misses too many tackles.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Burnett is getting the Nickel work and will replace Ayodele inside first. Carpenter is a true OLB that is buried at third string.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;1749968 said:
Burnett is getting the Nickel work and will replace Ayodele inside first. Carpenter is a true OLB that is buried at third string.

Parcells and Wade Phillips think he can play ILB

he's technically 2nd-string too, he backs up Bradie

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1749976 said:

Wait a second -- are you arguing that Carpenter is an ILB rather than OLB?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1749983 said:
Wade a second -- are you arguing that Carpenter is an ILB rather than OLB?

not at all, just that Carp can be an ILB

Carp is a hybrid more than anything else

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1749976 said:

No both trying to find a role for Carp - he hasn't earned one at his natural OLB or inside. If anything Wade likes faster guys that can run to the ball inside and cover. Carps skills are at OLB but he is buried there on depth chart.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1749991 said:
No both trying to find a role for Carp - he hasn't earned one at his natural OLB or inside. If anything Wade likes faster guys that can run to the ball inside and cover. Carps skills are at OLB but he is buried there on depth chart.
The Patriots scouted him as an ILB.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;1749991 said:

you said true OLB, which means that that's Carp's only position, which isn't true, he can play both OLB and ILB