Akin Ayodele?

shooterware94

Benched
Reaction score
I was wondering how good of a season do you think akin ayodele had i didnt think he did much were you happy with his season?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
shooterware94;1926699 said:
I was wondering how good of a season do you think akin ayodele had i didnt think he did much were you happy with his season?

I think you've seen the last of him as a starter for the Cowboys. He might stick around as a backup because we only clear about 1/2 mil of cap space if he's cut, but I don't think he's a starter. Horrible against the pass and can't disengage fast enough against blockers.

Nexx

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926710 said:
I think you've seen the last of him as a starter for the Cowboys. He might stick around as a backup because we only clear about 1/2 mil of cap space if he's cut, but I don't think he's a starter. Horrible against the pass and can't disengage fast enough against blockers.

akin is a solid outside linebacker in the 4-3, he is a horrible inside linebacker in the 3-4. he is just too small to engage olinemen all the time.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Really? So you're drafting an ILB with one of those first two draft picks? Cause if you're not, no he isn't going to be replaced by a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Besides if anyone was going to take his spot it would be Carpenter (Whose the backup at that position) and he's no where near as good as Akin.

Akin isn't flashy or anything but he's solid enough against the run. He doesn't have to be great cause Ware, James, and Ellis/Spencer more than make up the impact for the Linebacker position.

sago1

Reaction score
I thought Burnett was Ayodele's backup. I seem to recall Wade playing Burnett quite a big more in the playoff game and Burnett was better against the run in that game then Ayodele had been. Seems to me that means Burnett has a good chance to unseat Ayodele in preseason. Would expect Ayodele to stay around another year to help in rotation and experience.

I thought Bobby Carpenter was Bradie James' backup and anyway supposededly Cowboys were shopping DE Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter during the SB week.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1926723 said:
Really? So you're drafting an ILB with one of those first two draft picks? Cause if you're not, no he isn't going to be replaced by a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Besides if anyone was going to take his spot it would be Carpenter (Whose the backup at that position) and he's no where near as good as Akin.

Akin isn't flashy or anything but he's solid enough against the run. He doesn't have to be great cause Ware, James, and Ellis/Spencer more than make up the impact for the Linebacker position.

no it would be Burnett( assuming he could stay healthy)

if he ever does, he will be a star.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ahhh, you're right. My bad. i was thinking Burnett only backed up D-Ware, but you're correct he does backup Akin.

If that's the case he does have a shot but then you've got to look at resigning him after next season because I believe it's his last year on his deal. The guy has complained the last two off seasons about not getting enough playing time, so if he does get more this year, he'd better make a huge impact.

I like Burnett, so I wouldn't be opposed to him starting.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
IronCowboy;1926712 said:
Good enough to lose his starting position to a draft pick in this years draft.

Carpenter or Burnett.

no way would a rookie MLB, unless he is named Patrick Willis.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd rather see Burnett or Carpenter -- preferably Carpenter -- take the spot away from him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1926929 said:
I'd rather see Burnett or Carpenter -- preferably Carpenter -- take the spot away from him.

You may prefer Carpenter.

My money says it's Burnett.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1926723 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Akin was a liability esp with the loss of Fergy. He is not fast enough to cover well and he is not strong enough to take on OL with consistency....actually not much at all. We need a real ILB not a decent 4-3 LB to shore up the middle. He was the main reason we were so soft up the middle. James played well but he is not the greatest run stopping ILB either. Good but not great. I don't follow the draft or FA much but I'd love to see us pick up a real ILB. Carp ain't the answer and neither is Burnett. I love Burnett but unless he can put some wt on without losing a step then he will remain the same substitute player he is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1926943 said:
You may prefer Carpenter.

My money says it's Burnett.
He just gets blown up too easily in the running game. He will go somewhere in a couple years and make good money as a weak side linebacker in a 4-3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Burnett has to do something this coming year. To be honest, I could see Burnett getting cut in Camp if he doesn't do something.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1926960 said:
I think Burnett has to do something this coming year. To be honest, I could see Burnett getting cut in Camp if he doesn't do something.

Huh?

Our LBers can't cover. So you want to see us cut one who can?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1926960 said:
Burnett was our best nickel LB last season, why in the world would you want to cut him?:(

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1926960 said:
Cutting Burnett would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Ayodele and picking up a ILB in the 3rd or 4th round. Move Burnett to full time starter and I believe the position should be upgraded.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1926985 said:
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Ayodele and picking up a ILB in the 3rd or 4th round. Move Burnett to full time starter and I believe the position should be upgraded.

You think Burnett can be a full time ILB in the 3-4?