Akin Ayodele?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;1926991 said:
You think Burnett can be a full time ILB in the 3-4?
I'd give him a shot.

The Ayodele/Burnett combo vs Burnett/free agent or draft pick combo.

Which would I prefer? Let's just say I think we can upgrade Ayodele's roster spot.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
never understood BP signing a 4-3 outside LB to play inside,dont care for him

he's a catcher LB,can Burnett fill the spot,dont know,can he stay healthy is the big question?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;1927002 said:
I don't see him being a full time ILB in a 3-4 but I'd love to be wrong.

Why not?

The guy in SD was 225lbs. Burnett is what? Like 235-240?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1927093 said:
Why not?

The guy in SD was 225lbs. Burnett is what? Like 235-240?
Burnett is listed at 227. Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean another can.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
air0208;1926926 said:
Carpenter or Burnett.

no way would a rookie MLB, unless he is named Patrick Willis.

Man I wanted that guy last year when Bradie was struggling but he picked it up big time this year. If CB, RB, and WR weren't such a priority I'd be calling for ILB again this year...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1927115 said:
Man I wanted that guy last year when Bradie was struggling but he picked it up big time this year. If CB, RB, and WR weren't such a priority I'd be calling for ILB again this year...

Me too but I knew he would go way before we came up.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well here is my question to you all. We're all just average fans, I imagine. None of us are over the top great athletes, and certainly not professionals, so my question is this.

If Burnett was so much better than Akin, how come he couldn't beat Akin out LAST offseason? If he was so much more productive during the year, how did he not take over his spot during this season?

The coverage thing isn't a very accurate complaint, IMO, cause Akin isn't on the field in the nickle. Burnett is on the field in that so he's doing more coverage than Akin is in the first place.

I mean I like Burnett, don't get me wrong, but if he was so much better than Akin that he could just take the spot from him I'd like to know how come he wasn't able to this last offseason.

He spent a whole lot of time complaining in training camp about not getting enough respect or playing time but then he didn't go out there and beat the guy out.

I would think, and I would think that most here would have to agree, that the coaches who are professionals at their jobs, and see these players every play (Live and on flim) would know a little better than the rest of us on whose a better player at ILB.

If Akin is so bad, and yet he's starting over Burnett, then that leads me to believe there is something to question about Burnett.

Are there other ILB out there in the league way better than Akin? Absolutely. Do we have a real shot to replace him with any of them? No.

And ILB like Willis will not come along every year so hoping we grab the next Willis, in the draft, to beat out Akin is also largely unrealistic.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1927128 said:
If Burnett was so much better than Akin, how come he couldn't beat Akin out LAST offseason? If he was so much more productive during the year, how did he not take over his spot during this season?

Not that I have an opinion one way or the other see Julius and Barber..:D

Reaction score
Id like to see Burnett get a shot, I dont recall hearing Ayodele's name that much on the television watching the game. I would like to see 54 step it up, I hope he can win out the starting position, after that what we do with Ayodele who know's?

As for the draft I wouldnt be surprised if we went LB with one of our first three picks. I mean if the right guy is on the board that will fit the system and is the best available I wouldnt be surprised if we took him. Im praying we use 22 on CB. There will be RB there in the second round and we could move up if we had to, get a Johnson, Smith, Rice, etc.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He's average. Pretty decent taking on blockers and against the run. Isn't much getting to the run out on the perimeter and playing coverage. He's only a 2 down backer. I think we need to get a new starter in there that can play the spot and cover better. The pass coverage of our LB's really needs to improve.

YAKUZA

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1927128 said:
Well here is my question to you all. We're all just average fans, I imagine. None of us are over the top great athletes, and certainly not professionals, so my question is this.

The coverage thing isn't a very accurate complaint, IMO, cause Akin isn't on the field in the nickle. Burnett is on the field in that so he's doing more coverage than Akin is in the first place.

I mean I like Burnett, don't get me wrong, but if he was so much better than Akin that he could just take the spot from him I'd like to know how come he wasn't able to this last offseason.

He spent a whole lot of time complaining in training camp about not getting enough respect or playing time but then he didn't go out there and beat the guy out.

I would think, and I would think that most here would have to agree, that the coaches who are professionals at their jobs, and see these players every play (Live and on flim) would know a little better than the rest of us on whose a better player at ILB.

If Akin is so bad, and yet he's starting over Burnett, then that leads me to believe there is something to question about Burnett.

Are there other ILB out there in the league way better than Akin? Absolutely. Do we have a real shot to replace him with any of them? No.

And ILB like Willis will not come along every year so hoping we grab the next Willis, in the draft, to beat out Akin is also largely unrealistic.
Were you telling us in Week 3 of 2006 that Bledsoe was better than Romo?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
theogt;1927149 said:
Were you telling us in Week 3 of 2006 that Bledsoe was better than Romo?

He just joined the board, lighten up:D

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No. But those are clearly vastly different situation, as are the Jones/Barber one.

Barber is CLEARLY better than Jones but they kept it the way it was cause it was working. You'll notice, when the playoffs began, after the system seemed to struggle at years end they went to Barber finally.

My point is, seeing that I was every Cowboys game like the rest of you, I've yet to see Burnett play so much better, even when he's in there, to warrent putting him over Akin.

I'm not saying he can't be, wouldn't be, or shouldn't be. But to this point, in his career, he's yet to prove that he is better than Akin.

I would think if he was so much better than Akin, that he played the pass and run so much better, that he'd be starting. There has to be a reason he's not and it's not nearly the same thing as Romo and Bledsoe or Barber and Jones where you have someone in the back up role whose clearly better.

If Burnett is better he'll get it done in training camp this summer, where he couldn't get it done last year.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I never cared for Ayodele, when he signed I didn't know who he was and when suited up I didn't know why they signed him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
yeah don't anyone get me wrong. I'm not proclaiming Akin the best ILB ever (Though I don't think he's as horrible as it appears some do) but I just dont see what others have seen from Burnett to make them believe he's head and shoulders better than Akin and that somehow the coaching staff has missed it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1927185 said:
No. But those are clearly vastly different situation, as are the Jones/Barber one.

Barber is CLEARLY better than Jones but they kept it the way it was cause it was working. You'll notice, when the playoffs began, after the system seemed to struggle at years end they went to Barber finally.

My point is, seeing that I was every Cowboys game like the rest of you, I've yet to see Burnett play so much better, even when he's in there, to warrent putting him over Akin.

I'm not saying he can't be, wouldn't be, or shouldn't be. But to this point, in his career, he's yet to prove that he is better than Akin.

I would think if he was so much better than Akin, that he played the pass and run so much better, that he'd be starting. There has to be a reason he's not and it's not nearly the same thing as Romo and Bledsoe or Barber and Jones where you have someone in the back up role whose clearly better.

If Burnett is better he'll get it done in training camp this summer, where he couldn't get it done last year.
Ok. So your criteria for a player being better only works when you think that player is better.

That's a fantastic criteria. I presume that it works every time.