Al Harris to be retained

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct me if I'm wrong(it happens a lot) but didn't Harris say he has never or doesn't do X's and O's but focuses more on teaching technique?
It is a good question. I do not have a definitive answer, although I did run down this October 2021 Al Harris quote (link):

"This is my 24th year being involved with the NFL. I enjoy it, I really do. I love it. Obviously, I teach technique and the ins and outs of the game but I also use the same philosophy that worked for me — giving them confidence and believing in them. Lionel Washington, my position coach in Green Bay, believed in me. Emmitt Thomas, my coordinator in Philadelphia, believed in me. Guys that didn’t just teach you the game, but also gave you confidence — that’s what makes good coaches."​

The quote does suggest him both teaching technique and knowing the X's and O's of the game, along with inspiring players with his knowledge that was passed down to him. It is a good personal and professional trait for a coach at any level. Then there is media perception (examples/links 1, 2, & 3) outside Dallas' sphere, speculating he would be a quality defensive coordinator candidate. And Trevon Diggs made his endorsement of Harris before the Mike Zimmer hiring (link).

There may be a question whether Harris is experienced enough to be a defensive coordinator right now but it is highly likely his name will continue popping up as a viable candidate in the future. It will not surprise me one iota if an opportunity opens up outside Dallas at some point, which Jones will not be capable of blocking.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Exactly. Here is a review of Al Harris' coaching career:

• Miami Dolphins (2012) Coaching intern
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2013) Assistant secondary/defensive assistant
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2014–2015) Assistant secondary coach
  • Kansas City Chiefs (2016–2018) Secondary/cornerbacks coach
  • FAU (2019) Defensive assistant
  • Dallas Cowboys (2020–present) Defensive backs coach

There have been previous examples of coaches promoted to coordinator, Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore, on this team, during the two decades, with far less coaching experience. Additionally, Harris has been working the past three years under his former Green Bay Packers head coach, Mike McCarthy. Seemingly, the two have enjoyed a good, productive working relationship between them.

It makes me wonder if Al Harris considered the open position after Dan Quinn's exit? Or was Harris seriously approached with the offer? Those are two considerations a general manager should weigh, before introducing an outside variable in an existing formula, especially if a short list of candidates are included in any job search.
Al was the CB coach, Whitt was the secondary coach.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this may be the first positive post i've seen you make lol
Dak-Stains say that cause all they care about is Dak and I'm not a believer since 2106.
Pay attention as if something is positive in Jerry's world I have no hesitations to point it out.
The problem is not many positives and 29 years of hunger confirm it.

Proof

Reaction score
Dak-Stains say that cause all they care about is Dak and I'm not a believer since 2106.
Pay attention as if something is positive in Jerry's world I have no hesitations to point it out.
The problem is not many positives and 29 years of hunger confirm it.
people with eyes you mean? i don’t care what you believe in or don’t. just can’t recall you making a positive post outside of this one

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
people with eyes you mean? i don’t care what you believe in or don’t. just can’t recall you making a positive post outside of this one
Either you're not looking close enough or need to have a memory check.
GL either way............

Proof

Reaction score
Either you're not looking close enough or need to have a memory check.
GL either way............
i’m not looking closely that’s for sure. just a passing observation. not sure why you’re so defensive about it. glad you’re happy, so am i