Alabama a 56-5 favorite over Mercer

RaZon

Reaction score
That has to stop it's ridiculous.

Give me the name of one NFLer out of Mercer. Hell, where is Mercer?

Notre Dame vs Toledo, sheesh! Hold it, ND only a 17 point fav, whoa!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mercer doesn't care if we know where they are as long as the people mailing the check do.

This is the annual sacrifice of the no star players that they forget to tell the recruits about. Or it's "hey, you're going to be playing Alabama and that's your chance fore the NFL scouts to see you play (or get carried off the field)".

I've never liked these matchups, why not just have Bama play their starters against their second stringers?

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That has to stop it's ridiculous.

Give me the name of one NFLer out of Mercer. Hell, where is Mercer?

Notre Dame vs Toledo, sheesh! Hold it, ND only a 17 point fav, whoa!

That's one reason I don't watch much college football. The ridiculous matchups and blowouts. Of course teams do it for the money, if you're the lower echelon team, and for a quick win, if you're the upper echelon team. I understand that.

Not to say I won't watch any of those games, this weekend McNeese U, the FCS team where I live, is playing at LSU. Am I going (we have season McNeese tickets, my wife and daughter are alums) to that game?

Sure am. But the reason I'm going (other than to protect my wife, never know what some crazed fan will do/say) is that ever since I moved here many years ago I've heard what an awesome and unique experience a game in Tiger Stadium is. Never been, tickets are already paid for so not a big cost. And we'll get a nice meal somewhere in Baton Rouge before the game, road trips are nearly always nice. (Not including the several trips between here and Houston after hurricanes Rita and Laura, for obvious reasons).

But if McNeese plays some lower ranked Division II team or such, even at home, I'm not going, blowouts aren't fun for me, even if my college team is the one doing the blowout, I like good football games, not bad ones. I do go to the McNeese games when they play another good FCS team, even though I'm NOT a McNeese alum, like I said, I like good football games...

RaZon

Reaction score
Mercer doesn't care if we know where they are as long as the people mailing the check do.

This is the annual sacrifice of the no star players that they forget to tell the recruits about. Or it's "hey, you're going to be playing Alabama and that's your chance fore the NFL scouts to see you play (or get carried off the field)".

I've never liked these matchups, why not just have Bama play their starters against their second stringers?

Sad situation, and Bama should be ashamed of themselves. I got no problem predicting Bama 66 Mercer 10. That sucks!

RaZon

Reaction score
That's one reason I don't watch much college football. The ridiculous matchups and blowouts. Of course teams do it for the money, if you're the lower echelon team, and for a quick win, if you're the upper echelon team. I understand that.

Not to say I won't watch any of those games, this weekend McNeese U, the FCS team where I live, is playing at LSU. Am I going (we have season McNeese tickets, my wife and daughter are alums) to that game?

Sure am. But the reason I'm going (other than to protect my wife, never know what some crazed fan will do/say) is that ever since I moved here many years ago I've heard what an awesome and unique experience a game in Tiger Stadium is. Never been, tickets are already paid for so not a big cost. And we'll get a nice meal somewhere in Baton Rouge before the game, road trips are nearly always nice. (Not including the several trips between here and Houston after hurricanes Rita and Laura, for obvious reasons).

But if McNeese plays some lower ranked Division II team or such, even at home, I'm not going, blowouts aren't fun for me, even if my college team is the one doing the blowout, I like good football games, not bad ones. I do go to the McNeese games when they play another good FCS team, even though I'm NOT a McNeese alum, like I said, I like good football games...

In a few minutes it;s Ohio State vs Oregon, that is why I watch college football. Winning/losing is HUGE in the college game, that makes it's more exciting than the NFL.

terra

Reaction score
The small schools want that money simple as that. In this day and age I am surprised it still matters as much with so many other possible revenue streams but I guess its still important enough to watch your team get humiliated year after year.

Its like an exhibition game to the big schools of course. Though now and then- remember when Appalachian State upset Michigan at the Big House?

RaZon

Reaction score
The small schools want that money simple as that. In this day and age I am surprised it still matters as much with so many other possible revenue streams but I guess its still important enough to watch your team get humiliated year after year.

Its like an exhibition game to the big schools of course. Though now and then- remember when Appalachian State upset Michigan at the Big House?

We all get why they play these games but they need to stop, it's silly. Hell, have actually seen games where Vegas didn't bother with a line it was that ridiculous.

To all those who think a loss is just a loss. why is it such a big deal Mich losing to App State?

RaZon

Reaction score
Alabama 21 Mercer 0

Three Q to go.

This is simply stupid.

Saban, put in your 4/5 stringers, ok? Which all could start for Mercer.

RaZon

Reaction score
Saban must have heard me it was only 48 to 14

Only 4 players out of Mercer have played NFL football. but only one since 1942.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In a few minutes it;s Ohio State vs Oregon, that is why I watch college football. Winning/losing is HUGE in the college game, that makes it's more exciting than the NFL.

What makes winning and losing in college so huge? There's the mystical champion as voted on by a committee of people. Only 4 teams currently compete for the championship. And those 4 are again selected by a committee as well. Teams that have a legitimate shot at the title are left out of the "playoffs". That might change this year, 12 teams are being considered. But even those 12 will be committee chosen.

You have to earn your way in the NFL, have to win your division or have a better record than other wild card teams. No body "selects" your team to be in the playoffs, it's determined by your play against 31 other teams, most of which are good teams. The worst NFL team nearly always still manages to win some games. Even the terrible 1989 Cowboys won 1 game and was within a touchdown of winning 5 others.

Sure there's some good college matchups, but even those teams have had patsy opponents so that they can rest their starts after a half or 3 quarters.

I can appreciate college football overall, more enthusiasm and if you go to that school you have some kind of attachment other than just being a fan as in the NFL. But I just prefer teams have to play who they have to, in the league, can't schedule some Arena league team so as to pad their win record.

Not dissing your choice, just stating why I prefer the NFL...

RaZon

Reaction score
What makes winning and losing in college so huge? There's the mystical champion as voted on by a committee of people. Only 4 teams currently compete for the championship. And those 4 are again selected by a committee as well. Teams that have a legitimate shot at the title are left out of the "playoffs". That might change this year, 12 teams are being considered. But even those 12 will be committee chosen.

You have to earn your way in the NFL, have to win your division or have a better record than other wild card teams. No body "selects" your team to be in the playoffs, it's determined by your play against 31 other teams, most of which are good teams. The worst NFL team nearly always still manages to win some games. Even the terrible 1989 Cowboys won 1 game and was within a touchdown of winning 5 others.

Sure there's some good college matchups, but even those teams have had patsy opponents so that they can rest their starts after a half or 3 quarters.

I can appreciate college football overall, more enthusiasm and if you go to that school you have some kind of attachment other than just being a fan as in the NFL. But I just prefer teams have to play who they have to, in the league, can't schedule some Arena league team so as to pad their win record.

Not dissing your choice, just stating why I prefer the NFL...

I love the NFL, It's just not as important to win, You lose two games in the NCAA you ain't playing for anything, you can lose 5/6 games in the NFL and be in the playoffs.

There is far more to follow in the college game with a few 100 teams to keep up with. Yep, into all the divisions as are NFL scouts. Kali Mack Buffalo, Jerry Rice Mississippi Valley State, etc.

Big fan of HBCU football, Grambling vs Alcorn....yep, cool!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I love the NFL, It's just not as important to win, You lose two games in the NCAA you ain't playing for anything, you can lose 5/6 games in the NFL and be in the playoffs.

There is far more to follow in the college game with a few 100 teams to keep up with. Yep, into all the divisions as are NFL scouts. Kali Mack Buffalo, Jerry Rice Mississippi Valley State, etc.

Big fan of HBCU football, Grambling vs Alcorn....yep, cool!

To each his own, glad you enjoy it. Though as far as the "lose one or two and you ain't playing for anything" is concerned, that also means if you have a couple of key injuries early in the year and then run off 7-8-9 straight wins and you're really the best team, you don't get to play, some lesser team wins. The 12 team playoff, if it happens, will make me a bit more inclined to to watch, I'll give you that...

terra

Reaction score
To each his own, glad you enjoy it. Though as far as the "lose one or two and you ain't playing for anything" is concerned, that also means if you have a couple of key injuries early in the year and then run off 7-8-9 straight wins and you're really the best team, you don't get to play, some lesser team wins. The 12 team playoff, if it happens, will make me a bit more inclined to to watch, I'll give you that...
What I like about college football is just what you hate it appears. The fact that the ENTIRE season is critical. Not just the last half of it. Some team that loafs around or whatever gets hot can win it all in the NFL. Not college football.
To me the best team is the one that shows it from Sept to January. Not just December and January. The 12 team playoff is a travesty because there is NOT EVER 12 teams that SHOULD be considered. Most of the time there is barely 6 or 7.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
To me the best team is the one that shows it from Sept to January.

The best team should win, period. If that's in September or December, whichever, I don't care. And I doubt any team "loafs", there's too many funny bounces of the ball, injuries as I mentioned, etc. And a team could have a new quarterback that is starting for the first time and needs a couple of games to get in sync with the rest of the team, e.g.

But I have no problem with your view, I just don't share it...

RaZon

Reaction score

Seriously doubt any NCAA team seeded outside the top 4 will be winning the title. And it will be 1 vs 12, 2 vs 11 etc.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Odds like that shouldn't even count as a W. Just call it a bye week.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The small schools get their best payouts and those small school players get their only national exposure.
Although the scores maybe one sided, these schools love playing the big boys.

And as crazy as it is...sometimes these schools that have no business beating the superior team in the superior conference...actually do beat them or come pretty darn close.

Appalachian State beat Michigan years ago

Just this weekend you had Toledo lost in the 4th quarter by a field goal to ND. Of course Toledo has been in the mac for years and not someone like Mercer but still they should not be almost beating ND.
You had Coastal Carolina beat Kansas...sure Kansas has sucked in football for years but they beat kansas 49-22. That should not happen.
Miami was ranked 22 and just barley beat Appalachian state by two.

Going in the past you had Troy upset Notre Dame
Liberty over baylor in 2017

I do like how the Big 12 (and others) have tried to narrow it down to one small school per year. However this is also the beauty of college football IMO. No matter how little chance there is, there still is a chance and it is huge win some smaller school that has no business hanging with or beating a big conference team.

terra

Reaction score
The best team should win, period. If that's in September or December, whichever, I don't care. And I doubt any team "loafs", there's too many funny bounces of the ball, injuries as I mentioned, etc. And a team could have a new quarterback that is starting for the first time and needs a couple of games to get in sync with the rest of the team, e.g.

But I have no problem with your view, I just don't share it...
You still devalue the whole season by only caring about the last couple months of it.

RaZon

Reaction score
The small schools get their best payouts and those small school players get their only national exposure.
Although the scores maybe one sided, these schools love playing the big boys.

And as crazy as it is...sometimes these schools that have no business beating the superior team in the superior conference...actually do beat them or come pretty darn close.

Appalachian State beat Michigan years ago

Just this weekend you had Toledo lost in the 4th quarter by a field goal to ND. Of course Toledo has been in the mac for years and not someone like Mercer but still they should not be almost beating ND.
You had Coastal Carolina beat Kansas...sure Kansas has sucked in football for years but they beat kansas 49-22. That should not happen.
Miami was ranked 22 and just barley beat Appalachian state by two.

Going in the past you had Troy upset Notre Dame
Liberty over baylor in 2017

I do like how the Big 12 (and others) have tried to narrow it down to one small school per year. However this is also the beauty of college football IMO. No matter how little chance there is, there still is a chance and it is huge win some smaller school that has no business hanging with or beating a big conference team.

I liked that, can't really disagree, I just feel sorry for the little guys, but.....just maybe

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew they wouldnt cover and made $500 taking Mercer and the points. Anyone who watches Alabama football knows that Saban runs the ball with big leads. He's just trying to get the game over without injuries. So, then next time you see Alabama with a 50 point spread, take the points and make some money.