Twitter: Albert Breer on tanking

erod

Reaction score
Maybe they like Fields better than Lawrence. :eek::laugh:

Which leads to the question, what if Fields out duels Lawerence in the college playoffs?
Fields does not look like an NFL quarterback to me. Just a typical decent quarterback on a stacked college team.

He looked terrible against Northwestern, and that wasn't the first time.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Fields does not look like an NFL quarterback to me. Just a typical decent quarterback on a stacked college team.

I think Lance is a better pick than Fields.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree 100%......can't imagine ANY player caring about draft rankings enough to risk his own value, especially when they have no idea who's being drafted/targeted. In other words, IMO tanking for the part is a fan/media thing. Hell, look at the Jets Sunday. My understanding, their fans are livid but players and coaches don't care. They are paid to win 16 games a season.

Players/Coaches don't care about draft position. They are professionals and they know if your bad play shows up on tape, you can be replaced at any point.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see Fields as another Dak type, can be very good, but something lacking just a bit on making all the throws with accuracy consistently in tight windows.
Yes he looked bad against NW.

I am an Ohio State fan, but I just do not see them beating Clemson at this point. Especially when they had 20 players out against NW.
Fields was missing 2 top WR's, a RB, OL as well.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Why would a bunch of players/coaches who won’t be there even care? These guys are trying to not go down as a laughingstock winless team. They are trying to have good film so they can find work in 2021. They don’t give a damn about drafting a QB.
They've been a laughing stock the entire decade, but I get the players going out to win, its the staff that can see the long game, which in all likely hood this staff is dumped on black Monday so I get why theyre sabotaging the team

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
how that??!

Gase played with the same 0-13 team he brought in, what was he supposed to do punt on first down to lose on purpose. The rams should be embarrassed and maybe Mcvey fired for losing to that team..Integrity and character is what coaches and players play with that fans do not have ..you expect them to lose on purpose , RG would yank that first overall pick from the jets had they do something so obvious to lose game they had won and had the players what fall down and give the rams free TD? thats illegal in the rules the NFL set forth and lacks major integrity of the game rules..

Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? You do what your boss wants. Gase knows he is getting fired after the season. Gase knew what his bosses wanted. Gase sabotaged his bosses by, in this case, trying to win. One has to know the rules. To get the prize, one has to lose to win. That is the way the system works.

Hockey teams have flopped. Basketball teams have flopped. That is why they have the lottery. Football does not have a lottery.

Am I breaking a rule by evaluating a 3rd string QB? Do the Jet fans care if I trot out a loser QB? Nope.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why would a bunch of players/coaches who won’t be there even care? These guys are trying to not go down as a laughingstock winless team. They are trying to have good film so they can find work in 2021. They don’t give a damn about drafting a QB.

:clap::clap:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tanking goes straight to the integrity of the entire league. Everything is built on 32 teams doing whatever they can to win games. Teams that tank should be penalized as they would be for any other kind of cheating. It’s cheating to steal a draft position you haven’t earned.

Fans who root for their team to tank either don’t recognize what it is or don’t care. Either way, they’re wrong.

817Gill

Reaction score
No one who wants to tank believes players tank lol. I see people trying to prove that players don’t tank when everyone already knows that. Tanking comes from putting younger and developmental players on the field not from telling guys to suck lol no players is willingly going to play bad.

Haven’t seen anyone argue that players tank so not sure why people go to the lengths they do to try to prove players don’t tank. Duh lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you’re looking at this from a very narrow perspective. It’s way more selfish to order a team to lose. The jets have around 30 players set for free agency next year, they are likely to fire their entire coaching staff, and you have a ton of bottom of the roster players who need quality game film to earn a spot on 2021. These are peoples careers. Often very short careers that beyond popular belief does not set up a player or coach financially for life after a couple seasons.

Any player/coach/front office that tanks will not be respected around the league.
You believe a team with no wins, or even one win, deserves sympathy and long term security?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tanking goes straight to the integrity of the entire league. Everything is built on 32 teams doing whatever they can to win games. Teams that tank should be penalized as they would be for any other kind of cheating. It’s cheating to steal a draft position you haven’t earned.

Fans who root for their team to tank either don’t recognize what it is or don’t care. Either way, they’re wrong.
Not necessarily. It's how some teams can better and more quickly rebuild their team during this salary capped era. Better valued prospects are available early in rounds than later.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'd rather have Diggs, Gallimore, McGovern, Schultz, and Wilson all show upside if the only downside to them doing so is us dropping from like 5th to 10th

Having a handful of players showing little upside/starting potential isn't worth moving up 5 spots in the draft.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily. It's how some teams can better and more quickly rebuild their team during this salary capped era. Better valued prospects are available early in rounds than later.

Yep, but if you’re stealing those players from other teams who are actually worse than yours by losing games on purpose, that’s cheating. There’s no way around it. It’s no different from cheating by breaking free agency rules to get access to players that you don’t deserve.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
so you are saying that the people who are paid to look at the big picture and the long term see it differently than the people who only care about themselves and the short term? and that this is news to some people?

sometimes my faith in humanity just gets pummeled. :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other words, IMO tanking for the part is a fan/media thing.
There are some exceptions but tanking is almost exclusively a fan desire. Media have the excuse of generating buzz about tanking to promote themselves. And while there is no crime for thinking it, there should be some type of self-restraint some people should try (at least) to follow for themselves for stating or implying to others that they should support tanking also.

Everyone understands what draft order means. Everyone knows all college prospects are not equal when evaluated for getting drafted. Everyone anticipates their team will not draft the best talent available BECAUSE all teams are generally vying for the same top players.

What some people do not comprehend or refuse to acknowledge is that WINS, LOSSES and TIES are outside anyone's control. Their favorite team will WIN, LOSE or TIE no matter how hard they want a future NFL superstar. There are not any fortune tellers or mind readers masquerading as sports fans.

Wins, losses and ties are beyond every fan's control. Stop making illogical arguments seeking to make other fans feel guilty wanting your MUTUALLY favorite team to lose games. As posted already in this thread, "You play to win the games." Try not pushing the exact opposite for wanting outcomes that are not guaranteed in the future. Or, at the very least, look in the mirror and finally see you are not Jerry Jones picking players.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? You do what your boss wants. Gase knows he is getting fired after the season. Gase knew what his bosses wanted. Gase sabotaged his bosses by, in this case, trying to win. One has to know the rules. To get the prize, one has to lose to win. That is the way the system works.

Hockey teams have flopped. Basketball teams have flopped. That is why they have the lottery. Football does not have a lottery.

Am I breaking a rule by evaluating a 3rd string QB? Do the Jet fans care if I trot out a loser QB? Nope.
wrong he would have been let go the moment the game went 00.00 to make point..hell for all we know Lawerence could be bust,,no one knows 100% they can have 4 other qbs who could be as good no one knows..