ALCS Game 1 Thread

utrunner07

Reaction score
bbgun;3621678 said:
If we had lost this one, no way Burnett makes a Game 4 start. CC's off the hook, but he's been very un-ace-like in the playoffs. Burning out the pen might cost us tomorrow night, however.

Holland is the only one that might be burned out though, at least physically (may be a train wreck mentally). (though Holland has been our best BP pitcher in the post season so far).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;3621678 said:
If we had lost this one, no way Burnett makes a Game 4 start. CC's off the hook, but he's been very un-ace-like in the playoffs. Burning out the pen might cost us tomorrow night, however.

You're a Stankee fan?

dback

Reaction score
utrunner07;3621676 said:
I agree he mismanaged.

But is it me or did Cantu not play that ball hit to him hard? He was in no rush and just tossed the ball to CJ. I think if he keeps it, runs himself and dives to the base he has a much closer play. IMO, Cantu started the whole thing right there because he was not playing all out. ha, I have said it several times already but I have no idea why he is even playing with Moreland on the bench.

Edit: I guess Wilson could have gotten over there quicker himself after rewatching it, still think a good 1Bmen dives and gets the out.

In my opinion the ball should have gone to the pitcher a whole step sooner to give CJ a chance to make a tag. I think it is stupid to trot a few steps and then lob the ball to the pitcher.

I don't know, the play didn't matter too much in retrospect. I guess I am still mad.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3621684 said:
You're a Stankee fan?

Born and raised. Rampage, a Sox fan, always gives me a hard time. Hey, where's that guy been?

utrunner07

Reaction score
bbgun;3621693 said:
Born and raised. Rampage, a Sox fan, always gives me a hard time. Hey, where's that guy been?

Oh, I did not realize you are a yankees fan, your last post makes more since now. Congrats on the win, can't believe we fell apart like that, but our bullpen has been suspect the past 5 games. We got to hope we take the game tomorrow, I am afraid its over if we lose tomorrow. But our bats are heating up and our starting pitching has been awesome thus far (excluding Hunter) so I am hoping tonight was just a fluke, hoping, hoping.

utrunner07

Reaction score
dbacklund;3621689 said:
In my opinion the ball should have gone to the pitcher a whole step sooner to give CJ a chance to make a tag. I think it is stupid to trot a few steps and then lob the ball to the pitcher.

I don't know, the play didn't matter too much in retrospect. I guess I am still mad.

I disagree, you get that runner and there is one out in the 8th and CJ likely stays in the game and its an entirely different game.

I do agree thought that Cantu could have pitched the ball sooner and given CJ a better chance.

Either way Cantu should not see the field again.

utrunner07

Reaction score
This is just a baseball blog I follow, but it offers a different view of the game than most we have seen here. Interesting to look at:

Some post-game thoughts

Th_buckykatt_tiny by Adam J. Morris on Oct 15, 2010 11:47 PM CDT

ARLINGTON TX - OCTOBER 15:

First of all, I'm not as upset right now as I would have thought I'd be.

Maybe part of it is that the Rangers have never even made it this far, and I feel like they are playing with house money.

A lot of it, though, stems from the fact that I'm not worried about a "snowball" effect from this game, or the possibility that there will be a carryover to tomorrow's game. This team is like Jason...it gets stabbed in the heart, gets run over by a truck, gets rocks dropped on its head and buried at the crossroads at midnight. And every time it seems like the team's backs are against the wall and the death spiral is imminent, they suck it up and come up with a big performance.

The national storyline is going to be that this was the Rangers' inexperience showing, the Yankees big game experience coming through, the Rangers being exposed as green n00bs who have been a nice story, but will be shuffled offstage in short order so the grownups can play. I don't think that's happening, though...I still think the series goes at least 6, and I still think the Rangers win in 7.

That said, there were some troubling items. Despite a first inning that looked like the Rangers made make it a blowout, the offense was strangely silent for most of the game. There were no outs when Josh Hamilton homered in the first inning. For the rest of the game, 9 innings, 27 outs, the Rangers scored a whopping two runs. Texas had 8 baserunners over the final 8 innings. And the guys in the middle of the order, who we said needed to show up? After Hamilton's homer, the Young/Hamilton/Guerrero triumvirate went 1 for 11 with 6 Ks.

This game was eerily similar to game 3 of the ALDS. Missed opportunities to score and put the game away. And then a bullpen meltdown in the 8th inning that turned a win into a loss.

There were two key decisions Ron Washington made in the 8th that I disagreed with. First, I didn't get pulling C.J. Wilson for Darren Oliver. Wilson had been pitching well, and was only at 104 pitches. Brett Gardner's infield single was a routine grounder to first base, and Derek Jeter's double wasn't particularly hard hit (although it was weird to me that Michael Young, who is normally guarding the line in that situation, was well off the line).

That said, the decision to go with Oliver was understandable. You don't want to go to Darren O'Day with the switch hitters Nick Swisher and Mark Teixeira due up. Alexi Ogando has had issues pitching from the stretch this year. While I would have stuck with Wilson, I don't think going to Oliver was necessarily a bad, or inherently wrong, move.

Rest of Entry: http://www.lonestarball.com/2010/10/15/1754970/some-post-game-thoughts

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
utrunner07;3621705 said:
Oh, I did not realize you are a yankees fan, your last post makes more since now. Congrats on the win, can't believe we fell apart like that, but our bullpen has been suspect the past 5 games. We got to hope we take the game tomorrow, I am afraid its over if we lose tomorrow. But our bats are heating up and our starting pitching has been awesome thus far (excluding Hunter) so I am hoping tonight was just a fluke, hoping, hoping.

Well, if you win tomorrow night and Lee is "Lee" in Game 3, you could be up 2-1 in the blink of an eye.

utrunner07

Reaction score
bbgun;3621734 said:
Well, if you win tomorrow night and Lee is "Lee" in Game 3, you could be up 2-1 in the blink of an eye.

Could be, tomorrow is huge. Its not so much that we lost tonight but rather the way we lost that is the problem, this team has been good at bouncing back so far this season so hopefully they can put this behind them. How do you see your rotation working out for the rest of the series now?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
utrunner07;3621737 said:
Could be, tomorrow is huge. Its not so much that we lost tonight but rather the way we lost that is the problem, this team has been good at bouncing back so far this season so hopefully they can put this behind them. How do you see your rotation working out for the rest of the series now?

Hughes over Pettitte in Game 2 flummoxes me, especially since Andy's thrived as a Game 2 pitcher his entire career. Had we lost tonight, I think Hughes would have been bumped to Game 3. If we're down 2-1 next week, few Yankee fans will be happy to see Burnett on the mound in Game 4.

wileedog

Reaction score
bbgun;3621742 said:
Hughes over Pettitte in Game 2 flummoxes me, especially since Andy's thrived as a Game 2 pitcher his entire career. Had we lost tonight, I think Hughes would have been bumped to Game 3. If we're down 2-1 next week, few Yankee fans will be happy to see Burnett on the mound in Game 4.

Hughes has been much better on the road than home, and has pitched especially well in Texas.

More importantly, if it goes to game 7 Pettitte is lined up as the starter there which is entirely more preferable.

Disclaimer: Yankee fan here too. What a roller coaster game.

jimmy40

Reaction score
It was so nice getting home from work in time for the 8th inning.:bang2:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
bbgun;3621693 said:

Shh don't mention his name. Don't say it three times.

Prodigal Son

Reaction score
What a heart wrenching loss. There is no excuse for the performance of the bullpen, they need to pull it together. Win today, or the series is over.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
New York led the major leagues with 48 comeback wins this season, including seven games in which the Yankees trailed by at least three runs.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3621695 said:
No wonder you stink.

Which guy? Oh, Rampage is banned.

Really? Come to think of it, I haven't seen Slate post recently either. This place makes more people disappear than Tony Soprano.