Twitter: Aldon Smith Contract Numbers

jrumann59

Reaction score
Since he has been suspended so long I guess many of the sack number incentives would be classified as NLTBE?

I only ask because LTBE incentives count towards the cap NLTBE do not.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shame we didn’t try to get two years out of him with this contract.

Love and hate one year deals. This very well could be a rental.
He wants back in the game big time, but I'll bet he figures he's worth a lot more than what Stephen, er I mean Jerry, was willing to offer. Not too many more years left for him, if everything works out the way he wants.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since he has been suspended so long I guess many of the sack number incentives would be classified as NLTBE?

I only ask because LTBE incentives count towards the cap NLTBE do not.
Sorry, but I'm dumb. What does LTBE & NLTB mean?

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm dumb. What does LTBE & NLTB mean?

Likely To Be Earned (goes against the cap right away), and Not Likely To Be Earned. LTBE are bonuses/incentives based on performance that the player has already achieved in the past, so they count against the cap right away.

If say a WR has an incentive if he has 500 yards receiving, and he had 500 or more the previous year, the incentive/bonus now becomes LTBE.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
While I am with you all in hoping he has an incredible year and resurrection....can we maybe not crown him a steal until he’s shown a little something in the regular season?

I think people are weighing the risk VS the reward at this point. Because he hasn't played yet. There is little to no risk. The only downside is if he really does well, we can't keep him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don’t see that but if he remains healthy and performs well I’d love for it to happen

I agree....sure he'll give us first crack at signing him but discount???? No!
But I don't see any team giving him a lot guaranteed money coz at the end of the day he's still a recovering alcoholic. I don't that in a bad way but it is what it is.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I think people are weighing the risk VS the reward at this point. Because he hasn't played yet. There is little to no risk. The only downside is if he really does well, we can't keep him.

Ive been singing this guys praises since the signing and I’m not surprised in the least. He was an absolute MONSTER, on track to be one of the greatest of all time. You just don’t go from that to not being able to play. His age is young for a defensive lineman and he hasn’t had the wear and tear on his body.

I agree with @CowboyRoy - I sign him to a longer deal right away.

But regardless, when he rips off 15 sacks this season and terrorizes quarterbacks, Jerry will find a way to keep him.

CWR

Reaction score
Shame we didn’t try to get two years out of him with this contract.

Love and hate one year deals. This very well could be a rental.

Yeah man I love the way we snag some of these guys, but it sucks when they perform and we lose them the following season.

I guess you could argue the only reason we land many of them is because they are looking to prove it and reclaim their rightfull deal though.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ive been singing this guys praises since the signing and I’m not surprised in the least. He was an absolute MONSTER, on track to be one of the greatest of all time. You just don’t go from that to not being able to play. His age is young for a defensive lineman and he hasn’t had the wear and tear on his body.

I agree with @CowboyRoy - I sign him to a longer deal right away.

But regardless, when he rips off 15 sacks this season and terrorizes quarterbacks, Jerry will find a way to keep him.

You think so? Look at what Quinn got, and he's around the same age. It would be very difficult to sign both him and our quarterback next year. Two years from now, it could be done.

There was a thread on Smith going back to when Dallas first got him. I mentioned they should have tried to sign him for two years. That would line up perfect with our cap, even though at the time I did not know that. His floor is probably 70 million if he's any good.

Adreme

Reaction score
Yeah man I love the way we snag some of these guys, but it sucks when they perform and we lose them the following season.

I guess you could argue the only reason we land many of them is because they are looking to prove it and reclaim their rightfull deal though.

Yeah they likely sign a 1-year deal to play under the big lights and prove themselves to everyone. Signing a cheap deal with Dallas probably gets you more exposure than signing one with the Chargers

MarcusRock

Reaction score
While I am with you all in hoping he has an incredible year and resurrection....can we maybe not crown him a steal until he’s shown a little something in the regular season?

For real. There are literally people here calling to sign him to a big deal solely on the strength of practices and what he used to be 7 years ago in a different NFL. This is also how CONSPIRACY! theories get started. When people only outline success as an option but it doesn't work out, then they have to create scenarios where "the machine" rigged the game against that success because it's unacceptable to believe success didn't happen. Or they just turn on the player and hate his guts for not proving them right, lol. Freud 101.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah they likely sign a 1-year deal to play under the big lights and prove themselves to everyone. Signing a cheap deal with Dallas probably gets you more exposure than signing one with the Chargers

Fortunately there are guys like this available every off season, looking towards us with that goal in mind.