Video: Alfred Morris 2014 Highlights Video

pancakeman

Reaction score
I like the burst through the hole I saw in that! Thanks for posting.

(If you haven't watched it yet, note there's no football in the first minute thirty of the video.)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's a very blah signing for me.

Don't hate it and don't love it either.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Well, two shots in a highlight reel of him passblocking and a few passes doesn't prove much, but I will say I was surprised on the pass catching...didn't look like manos de peidra out there.

How many times has he burnt us on that screen play? He has hands that is nonsense saying he can't catch, people in here say all kinds of stupid things. In 4 yrs he has 47 receptions 365 yrds and a 7.8 yrd average. Nothing great but alright. That is Washington's system who is too say if he would of played for someone else he would have double the Receptions and yardage.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
All the skins fans and colors made me throw up in my mouth a little.

But this is the guy I wanted, have watched him play for 4 years now and he is a very good back in the ZBS, fast to hit the hole, a punishing back who has more speed then you would think and the numbers don't lie.

If he can catch the ball which the Skins never tried with him could be a 3 down back.

Needs to be better in protection, but there is no question he is a good back who fits our scheme perfectly.

Spectre

Reaction score
Morris can play well in every regard. The question is whether or not his legs have given out (last year). If not, he is the best RB on the roster.

ksadler1

Reaction score
One thing I noticed was his ball security is much better than Murray's ever was. I was constantly yelling at Murray to tuck his damn elbow in. As well all know, that's how Murray got stripped. Not only does Morris keep his elbow in, but he covers the ball when he gets close to contact. Morris is not going to take many long runs to the house, but he's going to get those tough yards on 3rd and short. Good signing by the FO.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like him, he is a one cut back with good acceleration through the hole and runs with power. I have watched enough Commanders games to know he is a good RB and behind this OL I think he will show he has a lot more in the tank.

chagus

Reaction score
Watching the vid helped relax my doubts after reading about his apparent lack of pass blocking and receiving abilities. He looked fine to me. Great pick up!

Luther

I am who they thought I was!
Reaction score
His running style reminds me of Murray. Murray did pretty good with our line...

KDM256

Reaction score
My biggest concern watching this tape was that Morris never ran away from a defender, pretty much always got caught from behind.

Seems like him and Murray are similiar players who likes to leave a lot of meat on the bones...

Draft Henry in the 2nd and stop screwing around with the running back position Jerry!

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Couple of takeaways from the video, several are known but one stood out a little.

First, he has a little more speed than I gave him credit for. Never will be considered a burner but he is fast enough. A lot of consistent 8-10 yd runs in there.

Second, very patient on the stretch, he will wait all the way to the sideline for the crease and then bust back through it. You don't see that all the time.

Third, he rarely makes anyone miss, but he got a lot of dirty yards after first impact.

The surprising thing is that the couple of passes to him, he did not seem to fight the ball at all, looked pretty decent in catching. The last one was a low ball at his feet and he plucked it up without any problem.

Here is the big thing.....we went to more of a power attack last year as McFadden became the lead back, fewer stretch plays and ZBS. Will be interesting to see if they try to make McFadden run more in the zone or if they switch blocking for the two backs. Of the goal is to get more zone blocking, McFadden could be the odd man out. I personally am not counting on Dunbar for anything....he has never been able to stay healthy and it will be surprising if he is even ready for the season but I could see McFadden in the third down role and yes, I see the likelihood of drafting another back.

The one thing you did not mention, Hes pretty good in blitz pick up, recognizing which man needs to be picked up and getting there to do the job, does a good job when he gets there. I could get behind this pick up. Generally I do not want any thing to do with the Commanders, but I'll take this one, this time. No on the RGIII deal.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Terrible video, the person who created it thinks he's a lot more artistic than he really is. Morris doesn't touch the ball until 1:39 into a 7 minute video, stupid Commanders fans.

One thing I noticed right away, Morris has better feet than McFadden. He's able to slip through the hole even when people make low contact and he keeps his feet churning for positive yardage. He looks tough to trip up. He's also a nifty runner, although he doesn't look to have any speed. But if he can find a crease going north and south I'm not too worried about speed, just give me positive yards. For the price it looks like a great signing.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
My biggest concern watching this tape was that Morris never ran away from a defender, pretty much always got caught from behind.

Seems like him and Murray are similiar players who likes to leave a lot of meat on the bones...

Draft Henry in the 2nd and stop screwing around with the running back position Jerry!

I think this phrase means: Hitting the open hole as it develops, running to daylight. Definitely not getting caught from behind.

Alf is not a Barry, who would juke a player out of his shoes. But he is very good at setting players up with his cut backs, cutting against the grain (their body lean/momentum). He does this at all levels, not just at the line of scrimmage (one cut and go). He reminds me some of Emmitt with that ability.

I live near the Skins reservation and have watched alot of Alf. This is a good signing.

We have a good one two punch now.

Ground and pound baby.

With a healthy Tony, our O-line and even a middle of the road D. Expect to see this a whole lot:

The Landry Shuffle