Alfred Morris was a certified heist

John813

Reaction score
I disagree.

His only success was in the read-option offense, which is useless here. If he was a difference maker, he wouldn't be just sitting there for anybody to take, and Washington would have had more interest.

He's a guy.

Article from 2013 about Morris success in the Read Option offense:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/14/4522452/alfred-morris-Commanders-read-option

John Keim of The Washington Post thinks that's an incorrect assessment, saying that Morris' skills as a runner should not be overlooked. As noted by Keim, Morris averaged 4.6 yards per carry on non-zone-read runs, and he averaged less than four zone-read runs per game.

Also during his time with the Commanders they were converting from a ZBS to a man to man blocking scheme.

Ultimately, it's TBD how he'll fare here. We'll find out for sure if he started to decline already, or it was a scheme issue or blocking issues as a whole that caused him to have a down year last year

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Give him 25-30 carries a game and he is a top 3 running back in rushing yards.

That's exactly what I am hoping, happens........ And , at first glance, I don't see why not? I like this signing.....a lot.

Nothing against DMC, I think he has a roster spot/role on this team. But, I am officially on the "Alfred Morris Bus". And I would like nothing more than to see him get the ball 25-30 times a game......

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
For the sake of transparency, I asked my friend to give me the good, bad, and ugly on Alfred Morris today. Let me preface by saying this is my best friend of 17 years for whom I have the utmost respect. He is just as big of a Skins fan as I am a Boys fan. So here's his text response.

Run him. If you weather his barely 4ypc in the 1st quarter and keep running him you'll get 5ypc in the 4th especially late when it matters and with that offensive line you guys have. He needs 25+ carries per game. Do not pass to him. Hands of stone.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That's exactly what I am hoping, happens........ And , at first glance, I don't see why not? I like this signing.....a lot.

Nothing against DMC, I think he has a roster spot/role on this team. But, I am officially on the "Alfred Morris Bus". And I would like nothing more than to see him get the ball 25-30 times a game......

Well I see potential in Alfred, but he wont see the field much, just like turbin and CM, he will be used sporadically.
He wont get over 5 carries a game in 1st 8 games.

Only way he gets more time is if dmc gets hurt and has to miss a game or 2.
Dmc will be the starter and main back unless he gets hurt.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Well I see potential in Alfred, but he wont see the field much, just like turbin and CM, he will be used sporadically.
He wont get over 5 carries a game in 1st 8 games.

Only way he gets more time is if dmc gets hurt and has to miss a game or 2.
Dmc will be the starter and main back unless he gets hurt.

even if he gets beat out in training camp?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
even if he gets beat out in training camp?

If you think Morris will be so much better in TC than DMC >??
Starter mentality, they will start McF no matter what in game 1 , jerry has already said that.
If you look back, the only Dallas RB to lose his starter role, without being injured, is julius jones to barber.

McF can catch better than Morris, so that could also affect things, if Morris does have stone hands.
Once someone is a starter, in dallas, it is hard for them to lose that role without being hurt, even if another
player is obviously better than the starter.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
If you think Morris will be so much better in TC than DMC >??
Starter mentality, they will start McF no matter what in game 1 , jerry has already said that.
If you look back, the only Dallas RB to lose his starter role, without being injured, is julius jones to barber.

McF can catch better than Morris, so that could also affect things, if Morris does have stone hands.
Once someone is a starter, in dallas, it is hard for them to lose that role without being hurt, even if another
player is obviously better than the starter.

You may very well be right Dandy. And its probably why we lose a lot.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i am not a big dmac fan but he deserves to start after what he did last year.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
For the sake of transparency, I asked my friend to give me the good, bad, and ugly on Alfred Morris today. Let me preface by saying this is my best friend of 17 years for whom I have the utmost respect. He is just as big of a Skins fan as I am a Boys fan. So here's his text response:

"Run him. If you weather his barely 4ypc in the 1st quarter and keep running him you'll get 5ypc in the 4th especially late when it matters and with that offensive line you guys have. He needs 25+ carries per game. Do not pass to him. Hands of stone."

So then I posed the question: Do you think this will work out in our favor?

His response:

My analysis as a amateur GM, which I honestly find fun as he**.. It was a solid risk vs reward pickup. The questions I'm sure they had--was his running success due to the threat of RG3? Was his drop off due to RG3 not playing? Well one thing they are certain of is, given a hole, he can get yards in bunches. For the Commanders this was easy.

Matt Jones when healthy is cheaper and a more versatile option (pass block, pass catch, and faster) plus he's a better fit for the scheme. So in this day & age, the NFL does not need to pay Morris. On the other hand, you guys had proven a workhorse like Demarco Murray that could be ran into the ground behind that line.

Keep in mind, Morris has never missed a game due to injury.

To me, if it doesn't work out, you can't blame the GM. This was a no brainer when you look at the whole pic. How many games did Romo miss when he had a horse behind him good for 25-30 carries?

Then I asked the magic question: Would he start Morris or McFadden?

His response:
Oh I'd start Morris

So it's settled folks. My BFF is never wrong.

Last edited:

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Unbelievably inaccurate statement. The players skills and careers have been nothing alike.

I actually was referring to his contribution level of expectation and perceived value, not so much his actual skillset.

I should of been more clear, my bad.

the guy will contribute but is not a goto guy to rely on to provide a real running game. It would not stop me at all from picking up a RB in the draft if that was in my plans before him

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You may very well be right Dandy. And its probably why we lose a lot.

Well it isnt just dallas, it is also other teams too.
It should be best man up, not next man up lol.

Last year I felt all 3 of our WR performed poorly. yet they continued to start each week except dez when he was out injured.
All 3 will start in game one no matter who shines in TC.

jnday

Reaction score
I think he will be average as long as McFadden is not in the way. Still have concerns about the tread on his tires and especially pass receiving.

I think the team has decided that average is good enough at the RB position. These retreads are doing nothing more than preventing them from getting a good young RB. They are the pure definition of progress stoppers. Dunbar included.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
For the money he got, his unquestionable durability, ability to work the ZBS and fall forward for 3-4 yard gains at minimum......AT THAT PRICE? I agree...he's a steal. Not flashy, doesn't have the speed nor evasiveness to take it to the house (Hmmm.....sounds like ole' #29) but will reliably move the chains for us? Again...at that price?!!! There will be some serious rueage on the part of the Commander fans and newfound lauding by the casual Cowboy fanbase when this dude is allowed to get in a rhythm behind our line and show his ability as old school workhorse RB. Year after year, people kept saying that "this is the year that Frank Gore will show a major decline", and that work horse kept on trucking. I will not be surprised if Morris sees a second contract with Dallas after all is said and done.

BTW, please draft Prosise. That dude is going to be something else in the NFL. Pet-cat alert if that happens.

"He's talented and caught all of us off-guard to start the season. He looks like he has no idea what he's doing at times in protections and that is what could keep him off the field early in his career." -- NFL West area scout

Dang...I don't think that is optimal with our oft-injured QB, man.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dude is primed for a bounce back year behind arguably the best oline in the NFL. A steal!

I am thinking the same thing, a steal!
Now I am left to ponder the underlying motives of the Commanders and am asking myself . . . why would they let this guy go?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I think the team has decided that average is good enough at the RB position. These retreads are doing nothing more than preventing them from getting a good young RB. They are the pure definition of progress stoppers. Dunbar included.

I agree but it could have been much worse, a true journeyman such as Randle or Dunbar.
Henry would be my preference. With Henry and this O line we are back in business. Without a Henry we are just middle of the pack. I long for the days of a young and hard-nosed runner named Emmitt Smith.
But, again, Morris is not bad at all. My derby is off to Sir Jones on this one.

Nonetheless:
GOFF WITH THE 4TH PICK!!!!!!!!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Give him 25-30 carries a game and he is a top 3 running back in rushing yards.

This could be said about any player who could average 3.5 YPC, which is far from impressive.

25 carries at 3.5 YPC and he finishes with 1400 yards, which would be 2 yards shy of Doug Martin's #2 overall total from 2015.

30 carries at 3.5 YPC and he finishes with 1680 yards, which would be almost 200 yards more than Adrian Peterson had in 2015. Peterson lead the league.

Manster68

Reaction score
How about Dallas drafts Derrick Henry in the 2nd round and wishbone the opponents?

Just a suggestion.:thumbup: