All 22 vs Cards

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I watched alot and noticed ALOT of wr routes include running straight, stopping and turning around. If you are going to do that, why not launch the ball before the guy even turns around? Ala Aikman. Thats one thing I dont like about Dak, he has no anticipation. Generally he has to wait until the receiver stops and turns around before he throws.
Very well said , I watched a couple of possessions, cant understand the routes we are running, except the TE out , everything else looks lacks imagination, why would run straight up with no curl .

Zman5

Reaction score
This has been proven wrong recently. It’s been shown the success of PA has very little correlation with a good running game. The Rams ran PA consistently with no running game and Goff throwing the ball and were incredibly effective. The Browns, on the other hand, have a very good run game and can’t get anything going with PA.

It's not even recent. I made a post about it in 2012. Mentioning that you don't need a good run game to have success running PA.
Romo was the highest rated passer when using play action pass that year. Even without a good run game. Yet he was 2nd to last in number of play action passing attempts. I was pointing out how stupid JG was for not calling more play action passing that year.

buddieluver

Reaction score
I swear the most underreported story about this offense this year has been the abysmal blocking from Schultz. How could the coaches allow this crap to persist all season? He is responsible for so many negative plays.

I looked up his run blocking and he ranks 34th and former Cowboy Geoff Swaim ranks 5th overall.

Last edited:

zeke21

Reaction score
This has been proven wrong recently. It’s been shown the success of PA has very little correlation with a good running game. The Rams ran PA consistently with no running game and Goff throwing the ball and were incredibly effective. The Browns, on the other hand, have a very good run game and can’t get anything going with PA.
I would suggest that this is were stats and analytics can be off.

I know the NFL is becoming more analytics based but I still feel it will turn back at some point. It is not like baseball.. a) there are more variables on a football field, b) some metrics in football are impossible to measure accurately and c) football does NOT produce enough raw data to make some analysis statistically relevant.

So if we look at baseball.. say a batter has 500 at bats for a season.. when we look at his tendencies and data.. there would be more reliability in the analysis. Potentially out of those 500, he faced 1-3 on 120 occasions.. and he hit 20 of those.. and of those 20 there were 5 HR. So from that we can derive a 'clutch' hitting rating, or see what pitches he likes etc etc. Now each of those at bats may be against different pitchers and at different parks.. but they all are played on the same size diamond.. the batter strike zone is the same etc etc.. so there is more consistency.

Now we go to football.. a WR1 will catch an average of 80 balls across a whole season. They will most likely run different routes from most of those catches. They will most likely be on a different defender for every single catch.. then there is wind factors.. there is defence strength, there is pressure on the quarterback, there is down and distance to consider. Needless to say.. you could look at ALL 80 of a WR's catches and each one, for STATISTICAL purposes, would be different.

So football is working hard on finding statistical meaning and analytics.. and they will find some. However I believe there will be a correction. Right now the analytics are saying 'go for it on 4th' but we are seeing more and more 4th downs not being converted. So potentially (and I don't know clearly) the analytics in four years might start suggesting you are better NOT to go for it on 4th and short in those same situations.

So the stats are telling them there is no correlation between run strength and PA? That might be 100% true.. but that might be because of how teams execute the PA, the defence they attempt the PA against.. the strength of the scheme, the strength of the QB, the situation it is used it, the speed at which the DC identifies the PA tendencies, how alert the CBs and LBs are to the PA.

Goff is great with PA because he is FAST to release the ball and ACCURATE. So EVEN IF the defence doesn't 'bite' on the PA.. he can find an open receiver. Browns struggle with PA because their QB play is poor. So even if the defence 'bites' on the PA.. Mayfield misses the pass or the receiver drops the catch.. and then it looks like it was a dud play.

So I know the shiny stats are right now telling you that years of accepted logical about PA are wrong.. I just happen to know how statistics work. Play Action works because it gets the QB in motion (which has been shown to be more effective - roll outs, quick plays, boot legs, PA etc etc), it forces the defence to react and it takes pressure out of your QBs eyes. However for PA to work effectively.. you either need a run threat or a very very good QB.

Zman5

Reaction score
Teams just aren't afraid of Dak, and why would they be?

If that's true, why are they running 2 deep safety most of the time? Why wouldn't the teams make it easy for themselves and just load the box instead of going through all the trouble to disguise their coverages/blitz looks?

The way the defenses are playing us, they are afraid of our passing game more so than our run game.

Zordon

Reaction score
I looked up his run blocking and he ranks 34th and former Cowboy Geoff Swaim ranks 5th overall.
Can you link it? Curious what Blake Bell is. I think I might have been the only person on the planet screaming for a blocking TE at the deadline.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Agree to disagree and I actually think PA is one of Daks biggest strengths.. he is better rolling out than standing in the pocket for mine.

The defence didn't bite on the PA though.. so I think a roll out works just as well, if not better.

Which is another annoyance of mine.. just because we get yards on a play.. doesn't make it the right play necessarily.

If we establish the run early.. and have a D really biting.. then Dak can PA, roll out and then hit Cooper or Lamb deep for those big plays.

Also, and I might be incorrect and apologise if I am, I think it was 3rd down and the 7 yards wasn't enough for the first?
Agreed, but the problem is our Oline.

Get a better Oline Coach who will fix our Oline problems. Dak, our RBs, TEs and WRs will execute much better.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If that's true, why are they running 2 deep safety most of the time? Why wouldn't the teams make it easy for themselves and just load the box instead of going through all the trouble to disguise their coverages/blitz looks?

The way the defenses are playing us, they are afraid of our passing game more so than our run game.
You're talking to posters who don't understand the game, plus how and why opposing teams are playing the Cowboys.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

The Cards played mostly single safety high on early downs, not 2 deep.

I think it has more to do with Dallas' scheme than not fearing Dak. They just don't throw many fades, back shoulder passes, deep balls down the sidelines so why not play more of a cover 3?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Confirms what I thought. Outside the fumble dak was pretty good running the ball. Hell a couple times he outran some linebackers. For the life of me idk why we aren’t using more designed runs using him. Some more read option stuff

Zman5

Reaction score
The Cards played mostly single safety high on early downs, not 2 deep.

I think it has more to do with Dallas' scheme than not fearing Dak. They just don't throw many fades, back shoulder passes, deep balls down the sidelines so why not play more of a cover 3?

I was talking about how defenses have been playing us in general past few weeks. Not just the Cards.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Confirms what I thought. Outside the fumble dak was pretty good running the ball. Hell a couple times he outran some linebackers. For the life of me idk why we aren’t using more designed runs using him. Some more read option stuff

I assume they are trying to keep him healthy, plus he was banged up for a while.

I do think it makes a difference in the running game when defenders don't have to worry about him coming out the back door.

Have a feeling we will see a few more of those runs in the playoffs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Our first game against Tampa we didn’t even try to run but the PA was still working.

Nexx

Reaction score

Cause they eventually Dak will screw up if you give him the opportunity. Why let him have a big play. His inconsistency will eventually show up.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I swear the most underreported story about this offense this year has been the abysmal blocking from Schultz. How could the coaches allow this crap to persist all season? He is responsible for so many negative plays.

Schultz run blocking is ATROCIOUS. Holy cow. Almost every run that was negative came as a result of Schultz man instantly beating him. Dude is a liability YIKES.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Not lost on me. There is NO WAY you can re-sign this guy. He's like a NBA player you are enamored with that scores 20...but failing to realize the guy he is guarding scored 30!

People fall in love because of his offense. He is WIDE OPEN. It's not like he makes tough contested catches like Gronk. What he provides for this team is replaceable. We need a guy that can do both. He can't even just use angles to get in the way and prevent his man from dropping the RB for a 2 yard loss. That tells you he has ZERO interest in blocking. He is just a big slower WR. We can find that anywhere!!!

zeke21

Reaction score
Not lost on me. There is NO WAY you can re-sign this guy. He's like a NBA player you are enamored with that scores 20...but failing to realize the guy he is guarding scored 30!

People fall in love because of his offense. He is WIDE OPEN. It's not like he makes tough contested catches like Gronk. What he provides for this team is replaceable. We need a guy that can do both. He can't even just use angles to get in the way and prevent his man from dropping the RB for a 2 yard loss. That tells you he has ZERO interest in blocking. He is just a big slower WR. We can find that anywhere!!!
100% this. A lotta hate on our RBs without understanding they are often tackled before the handover is even completed.. how many runs from shot gun?

I would be finding a TE and fast.