All 32 teams current cap space after first wave of free agency

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Is there even enough good free agents left to spend all of this money on? What is going on in the NFL?

Theres a lot of hidden fees you don’t really think about. For instance: a record number of teams have multiple first round picks this year. Lions have 2, Packers have 2, Chiefs have 2, only of the only years ever that a team had 3 is this year, heck… Giants AND jets have 2 top 10 picks. Their rookie salary pool is going to be enormous.

Then think about currently signed players on rookie deals we all expect to get new contracts this summer: Lamar Jackson, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown…

And then traded still available, teams potentially preparing to take on major cap space for Garoppolo, for Mayfield, for Jordan Love new extension.

Free Agents could very well be the fourth reason some of these teams are accruing space

morasp

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Cowboys get $10 million more June 1 which would make them number 2.

jujoboys

Reaction score
That happens after you are forced to unload your QB that you gave a big contract to for a much cheaper guy who stinks

Yes, I think Wentz had a dead cap hit of $33.8 million last year. That was a terrible hit for the Eagles. However, Roseman is usually pretty good at working the Eagles' cap. Where he sucks is the draft. Especially in the first round. He did good by trading up and getting Devontae Smith last year but that doesn't make up for Jalen Reagor, Andre Dillard, Derek Barnett, etc. 3 out of last 4 1st round picks have been duds and he had another year he was not able to select due to trading for Wentz. Here are Howie's picks as a GM

2013 Lane Johnson (stud)
2014 Marcus Smith (dud)
2016 Carson Wentz (average)
2017 Derek Barnett (dud)
2018 No Pick
2019 Andre Dillard (dud)
2020 Jalen Reagor (dud)
2021 Devonta Smith (stud)

Nelson Agholor in 2015 was a Chip Kelly pick when Kelly took GM power for 1 year before being fired.

Last edited:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
So almost half the teams are cheaper than Stephen sitting on all that cap space.
Where is the outrage over this from the usual suspects on there.

Why aren't they spending $11 on Wagner?

A loser fan would compare his team to other losers.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I note the Packers have over $15 mil in cap space.

That's funny, per a Jan 26th Packers article: "The Packers were $40 mill OVER the cap."

Yet they signed Rodgers to a huge new contract and are STILL under the cap.

Too bad the Cowboys can't do that....

they lost the best receiver in the game and now have none, lost one of the best pass rushers on the team, and lost 2/5 of their starting offensive line. Be careful what you wish for.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just shows how well we're run as an organization to have that much cap space.

Tussinman

Reaction score

That's funny, per a Jan 26th Packers article: "The Packers were $40 mill OVER the cap."

Extensions to both Preston and Aaron caused a huge cap savings for this year. They restructured Jones and Amos which saved alot

They also cut Zadarius which saved over 15 million

Those moves alone saved at least 50 mil

Carson

Reaction score

Saints went from -70 to 21+

kevm3

Reaction score
No need to attempt to spin the cowboys moves this offseason as a positive. Chiefs made a nonsensical trade by getting rid of Tyreek Hill. That wasn't a smart move for a team with a win now window and now they have to waste resources and take a gamble on another WR. Most of those other teams with a ton of cap space are losing teams or teams with qbs on rookie deals aka Chargers and Bengals, so naturally they will have a lot more cap space since the QB isn't hogging up a huge chunk.

How did we get better as a team? James Washington better than Cooper? Is he even better than Cedric Wilson? Lael Collins and Connor Williams HAVE to be replaced, so now we are forced O line in the draft. Is Dante Fowler better than Gregory? That's unknown as well.

I frankly don't understand what we are 'saving' this cap space for? Grabbing two or three mediocre free agents who either won't make the team or barely be a contributor? Sorry, I'd rather pay Wagner for a year or two at 11 milli than go Ross shopping for free agents. Don't really care what other teams are doing.

kevm3

Reaction score
I was not supporting our FO nor insulting any posters.
More like making fun of some posters for the hypocrisy of it.

Just adding some humor to all of this.

I mean is it not ironic, how many posters on here complaining about Stephen not spending money on players like Wagner, then there are what, 14 teams that have more cap space than us. But yet nothing is said about those teams. I would bet many on here would say those teams are doing it the right way...hence the hypocrisy.

Nothing is said about those teams because cowboys fans likely are not following those teams and don't know or care about their cap space. Most of those teams are bad teams or teams with qbs on rookie deals and Kansas City flat out made a bad trade getting rid of Tyreek Hill.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing is said about those teams because cowboys fans likely are not following those teams and don't know or care about their cap space. Most of those teams are bad teams or teams with qbs on rookie deals and Kansas City flat out made a bad trade getting rid of Tyreek Hill.

So basically those teams are still in the same situation with cap room and not spending it.
But need as much if not more help than Dallas. Still not signing the likes of Wagner.

However it does not fit into the agenda or narrative on here if they follow or do not follow the other teams FA moves. It makes it ok to say things about this FO and the others don’t count? To me it is the same situation. They do not value Wagner either. But it’s ok for them not to sign him, but not ok for Jerry?

Got it. :lmao:

Just having fun with it, Don’t take it too seriously.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
So almost half the teams are cheaper than Stephen sitting on all that cap space.
Where is the outrage over this from the usual suspects on there.

Why aren't they spending $11 on Wagner?

I'm going to guess because they are not fans of those teams and could care less what they do?

kevm3

Reaction score
So basically those teams are still in the same situation with cap room and not spending it.
But need as much if not more help than Dallas. Still not signing the likes of Wagner.

However it does not fit into the agenda or narrative on here if they follow or do not follow the other teams FA moves. It makes it ok to say things about this FO and the others don’t count? To me it is the same situation. They do not value Wagner either. But it’s ok for them not to sign him, but not ok for Jerry?

Got it. :lmao:

Just having fun with it, Don’t take it too seriously.

The majority of those teams didn't even make the playoffs so they aren't in a win now mode and wouldn't benefit from a Wagner signing. I think we'd all be less critical if we knew we had a rational front office and not a bargain bin shopping and buddy hiring front office.

Imagine if we went all out during Dak's rookie years when he was getting paid less than one mill a year and actually filled spaces with talent instead of bargain shopping. Imagine if during those years, we had a Harbaugh here instead of Jason Garrett.

KC made an awful move trading away Tyreek and they are ruining Mahomes window, and the Chargers have a lot of cap space, but they don't necessarily need a Wagner when they just brought in Khalil Mack. They actually made an aggressive move to obtain talent where as we did nothing.

Not sure what the Bengals are doing this year, but they were aggressive last year and it paid off. The rest of the teams are mediocre to bad and would have no real reason to sign a one to two year Wagner deal

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
“destroyed” a team that made the playoffs 3 of those 4 years.

Saints and Chiefs are the only other teams in the top half of the league in cap space to do that
that team won a SB and has been to more NFCCG and playoff appearances than us, he's doing better than the Cowboys GM.

Jerry has destroyed this team and Stephen will turn us into the new Detroit Lions so not sure how you guys are even comparing the two. Eagles have had more success than the Cowboys in the last 2 decades.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure why this is tough to figure out.

Draft class and 3-4 guys for 2-3m each.

There's a certain amount of allowed carryover and that's where Collins money probably goes along with any excess from above.

Nit saying I agree with it but it's fairly clear they would rather have 3-4 cheap guys than one difference maker.

I can't wait to see if that changes once they can rid themselves of the Elliott contract.