All or Nothing Episode 1. Dez

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We don’t know if Garrett ever confronted Zeke directly about this.

Just because we didn’t see it on the show doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

What we did see is that Zeke was very contrite at a press conference shortly thereafter. So, someone got to him (or he came to accept responsibility on his own).

My point is that while the series was a really cool glimpse of what happens behind the scenes, and we can probably draw some pretty strong suspicions on what else is going on while the cameras are NOT rolling, our conclusions are ultimately based on a (very) incomplete picture.

All things considered, I am happy to have had the opportunity to glance behind the curtain, however brief a glance that was provided.
Very fair point.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I'm on episode 5.

It's clear from what I've seen so far these players aren't scared of these coaches at all. They view them as advisors, life coaches, pep talk guys, father figures.

You think the Patriots view Belichick and his staff that way?

What's funny is, Garrett talks up how Jimmy Johnson was his biggest influence in coaching, he's descended from the JJ coaching tree and so on.

Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry, that guy was not your buddy. He was not your best friend or your life coach. He was your boss.

So I'm alternately watching these coaches pretend to be BFF's with their players and then alternating that with dropping f bombs and s bombs while they rant about how the team isn't playing well.

Now that the curtain's been pulled back and I'm seeing how Garrett coaches this team day to day with Jerry hovering at his elbow, I'm absolutely horrified.

His hunger to be LIKED by his players is evident. His attempts at motivational speaking peppered with f bombs are almost comical.

I'm not saying we can't win with this staff, but now I have very real and deep concerns with the coaching philosophy here. Some guys exude command and control and some guys just don't have it. Garrett does not have it.

This is one of the biggest things that bothered Aikman in the shift from Jimmy to Barry Switzer. In that famous sideline rant he's talking about stuff is allowed now that Jimmy would have never put up with for a second.

Jimmy Johnson kept the buddy-buddy feel good let's all be one big happy family crap at arms length while he was there, but once he was gone and Barry came in, Jerry took over the club atmosphere and it's never recovered. Even Bill Parcells couldn't change it in his years here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In episode one of All or Nothing, WR coach Dooley was in film study with the WRs and they were prepping for the Denver game.

Dooley said something to the effect of "these guys are really good, if we want to succeed then we need to bring our A game."

Well after he said this, Dez pitched a fit, saying something to the effect of "Man why you gotta always be like that, these guys aint that good and you're always talking about how good other teams are and never believing we can beat them, why can't you tell us we are good" and so on. It really sounded whiny and Dez sounded like a total drama queen. He was basically mad that Dooley wasn't stroking his ego.

The part that blew my ever-loving mind was that Dooley, the COACH, flippin APOLOGIZED! What in the hell?? Since when do coaches have to apologize to their players for being real? Denver's D is no joke. He was trying to let them know it wasn't going to be easy.

Welp, we got absolutely dominated that game. 42-17.

I know a lot of us don't want to believe it, myself included, but I think Dez was a rough person to deal with behind the scenes.

Did this rub any of you the wrong way?
why is it hard to believe? It was completely obvious what kind of teammate he was. Dak is going to be so much better off without him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm on episode 5.

It's clear from what I've seen so far these players aren't scared of these coaches at all. They view them as advisors, life coaches, pep talk guys, father figures.

You think the Patriots view Belichick and his staff that way?

What's funny is, Garrett talks up how Jimmy Johnson was his biggest influence in coaching, he's descended from the JJ coaching tree and so on.

Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry, that guy was not your buddy. He was not your best friend or your life coach. He was your boss.

So I'm alternately watching these coaches pretend to be BFF's with their players and then alternating that with dropping f bombs and s bombs while they rant about how the team isn't playing well.

Now that the curtain's been pulled back and I'm seeing how Garrett coaches this team day to day with Jerry hovering at his elbow, I'm absolutely horrified.

His hunger to be LIKED by his players is evident. His attempts at motivational speaking peppered with f bombs are almost comical.

I'm not saying we can't win with this staff, but now I have very real and deep concerns with the coaching philosophy here. Some guys exude command and control and some guys just don't have it. Garrett does not have it.

This is one of the biggest things that bothered Aikman in the shift from Jimmy to Barry Switzer. In that famous sideline rant he's talking about stuff is allowed now that Jimmy would have never put up with for a second.

Jimmy Johnson kept the buddy-buddy feel good let's all be one big happy family crap at arms length while he was there, but once he was gone and Barry came in, Jerry took over the club atmosphere and it's never recovered. Even Bill Parcells couldn't change it in his years here.
Garrett is a poser. He simply doesn't have what it takes to be a great football coach.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
We don’t know if Garrett ever confronted Zeke directly about this.

Just because we didn’t see it on the show doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

What we did see is that Zeke was very contrite at a press conference shortly thereafter. So, someone got to him (or he came to accept responsibility on his own).

My point is that while the series was a really cool glimpse of what happens behind the scenes, and we can probably draw some pretty strong suspicions on what else is going on while the cameras are NOT rolling, our conclusions are ultimately based on a (very) incomplete picture.

All things considered, I am happy to have had the opportunity to glance behind the curtain, however brief a glance that was provided.

Not sure what you saw but Zeke on the practice field Garrett addressed it in such a lukewarm way talking about the team and the lack of effort on that play. He called Zeke over to parlay. And when Jerry states they doesn't want to undermine the coaching staff (my words but his sentiment) then goes on to make the comment about how tough it was on Zeke.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Prepare to face the wrath of the Homer's, they don't like hearing the fact that Dez was a cancer.
I being a homer dont mind truth at all. its the exaggerated crap that gets me riled. I didn't know about Dez behind the scenes distractions.
He's no longer my concern.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
In episode one of All or Nothing, WR coach Dooley was in film study with the WRs and they were prepping for the Denver game.

Dooley said something to the effect of "these guys are really good, if we want to succeed then we need to bring our A game."

Well after he said this, Dez pitched a fit, saying something to the effect of "Man why you gotta always be like that, these guys aint that good and you're always talking about how good other teams are and never believing we can beat them, why can't you tell us we are good" and so on. It really sounded whiny and Dez sounded like a total drama queen. He was basically mad that Dooley wasn't stroking his ego.

The part that blew my ever-loving mind was that Dooley, the COACH, flippin APOLOGIZED! What in the hell?? Since when do coaches have to apologize to their players for being real? Denver's D is no joke. He was trying to let them know it wasn't going to be easy.

I know a lot of us don't want to believe it, myself included, but I think Dez was a rough person to deal with behind the scenes.

Yes, it dam sure rubbed me the wrong way. Dez is a whinny sensitive baby and the coach is to sensitive also. Snowflakes are infiltrating the NFL. Who would have thought that. Good riddance to both of them. There was stuff behind the scenes the team was sick of with Dez. This is a perfect example.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Reel them in? Jimmy Johnson repeatedly talking about giving talent extra rope. People like that who didn't have talent just got cut which is exactly what the Cowboys just did to Dez.

A personality like Dez is not going to respond how you want if you take that hardline "tough love" approach. In general that approach doesn't work with people.
A “tough love” approach can work. It depends on how you were raised. A “tough love” approach works in general if you have a strong caring family that teaches you right from wrong. It doesn’t work as much today because of those reasons.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still feel that there is very little difference, both in football skills & personality, between Dez and Irvin. If roles were reversed, we'd all be talking about Irvin being released because of his lack of production and his immature ways. As a few have noted earlier, there's no way that Dez is not on this team if Jimmy was the coach. Unless of injuries, mental breakdowns, etc.. :p Other than Garrett's blatant attempt to be a hard-butt, w/ his potty mouth, he is an extreme pushover and coddler. All that equals to a soft football team and an 8-8 record no matter the talent level.

Your opinion is, of course, your opinion, but it’s not supported by anything else in that show. The players clearly love Garrett, Dez makes a point of hugging him after each game, and our team is *far* from soft. And players from other NFCE teams have come in and said as much.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I love Dez's passion, but I have to admit that scene made me cringe. It was awkward and disruptive.

Dez whined. And then proceeded to get his butt handed to him by the other team.

Reminds me of the Seattle game too.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I sometimes think Dez would have been better off being drafted by Baltimore. The passiveness of this coaching staff has always bothered him. Dooley is a joke who only gets jobs because of his daddy.

So blame the coaching staff and Dez has no responsibility in it?

That’s actually the exact attitude that creates a personality like Dez’s.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Your opinion is, of course, your opinion, but it’s not supported by anything else in that show. The players clearly love Garrett, Dez makes a point of hugging him after each game, and our team is *far* from soft. And players from other NFCE teams have come in and said as much.

I should have rephrased my post...I meant to say that the current team is soft compared to Jimmy's teams. Correct, it's just my opinion. Regarding the players loving Garrett, this just proves my point even more. He's a 'players' coach and I feel that this team needs a change of direction to a coach that's a little less 'loveable'. Don't get me wrong, I am, and always will be a fan of this team, and the same goes for Dez but I'm not against change. Especially since Garrett coached teams seem to never be able to get over the proverbial hump.

Section446

Reaction score
I being a homer dont mind truth at all. its the exaggerated crap that gets me riled. I didn't know about Dez behind the scenes distractions.
He's no longer my concern.
You didn't know it because you refused to listen to facts that don't follow what you want to hear. It was pretty common knowledge, I've been saying it for years.

waving monkey

Reaction score
You didn't know it because you refused to listen to facts that don't follow what you want to hear. It was pretty common knowledge, I've been saying it for years.
I might be mistaken but I cant remember debates I got into about Dez. I didn't have a problem to have a debate about him so I didnt refuse jack.
Kettelblack 446

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was right in the scene. Dooley is a clown. But I don’t want to here Dez stans day he needs strong leadership then want him to go to the Giants. Makes no sense. I don’t think Green Bay has a great leadership structure either but they have Rodgers so he should get numbers to offset a lot of issues

There is nothing "right" about interrupting the coach when he is trying to lay out a game plan, so he can coddle you like a toddler. Especially when they have limited time these days with the team to go over a game plan. Ridiculous.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Another thing, odd ball characters like Dez littered the rosters of our 90s team. The difference is a coaching staff to reel them is lacking. Football is a crazy *** sport, you're never going to get a 53 man roster of choir boys.

Lol usually you're super passive, and tend to stop talking when you feel if will rub everyone the wrong way. Lately you have been going off.

I like it bro

tm1119

Reaction score
Kinda nitpicking isn’t this? It was definitely a weird and unnecessary interruption by Dez. But what else in that show made Dez look like a bad teammate? I was actually pretty surprised by his interactions with Garrett and Dak. It was pretty much all positive. Obviously they didn’t show everything and Dez’s production wasn’t good, but no idea how anyone is pointing to All or Nothing as a negative for Dez.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
There is nothing "right" about interrupting the coach when he is trying to lay out a game plan, so he can coddle you like a toddler. Especially when they have limited time these days with the team to go over a game plan. Ridiculous.
He should’ve told Dez to shut his damn mouth then. Who’s running that room, Dez or the coach? Looked like Dez to me.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He should’ve told Dez to shut his damn mouth then. Who’s running that room, Dez or the coach? Looked like Dez to me.

How many times, has he already done that? Then I am sure Dez cries to Jerry who tells the coach, to take it easy on him, he's having a rough day..