All or Nothing Episode 1. Dez

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I am sure I am in the minority, but as much as I liked Dez, it always bothered me how much he whined about a little rookie hazing. So what if Roy Williams wanted him to carry his pads? I can understand some stuff is stupid like paying $50,000 for a team dinner, but the other stuff was ok. It always came across to me that it wasn't that Dez was trying to change the culture of rookie hazing, he just felt that he was to good to be a part of it at all.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Setting the conditions or environment for this may not be on Dez but he is a grown man and responsible for his own actions.

He is indeed. And for the most part, I don't have a problem with his actions.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
About the time you start thinking Scandrick has finally arrived as a good player he always took 2 steps back.

I'm glad the Scandrick era is over to be honest. He will be easily replaced.
Scandrick was so overrated on here. He was good, but thought to be better than he was by fans due to the years of bad cornerback play on the team. The one memorable game for me that shows how good Scandrick should have been is when he shut down OBJ. I believe that was the same game Carr got posterized by him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Exactly, and no teammate has ever said Dez was an issue. Even in the show outside of the competition between him and Lewis, which was just competition, it showed how good of a teammate he was.
I simply don't understand why he's gone...
Or why it's being reported that teams won't even sign him for the minimum...

Cray cray, right?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My point exactly you just proved it, there wasn’t 5-6 balls tipped by Dez that were ints. Nothing was wrong about not wanting to hear a slobberfest over two players.
Yes. there is something wrong because had he listened to Dooley maybe he'd have been better prepared. They shut him down and he played volleyball instead of making a catch.
Waaaa, I don't wanna hear you coach.......

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly, and no teammate has ever said Dez was an issue. Even in the show outside of the competition between him and Lewis, which was just competition, it showed how good of a teammate he was.
And then instead of listening to the HC talk after the drills Dez is once again not paying attention to the lesson and is freelancing around the group. There's two clear examples of Dez not focusing on his job with two different coaches. Sorry, if every excuse is he's passionate and competitive then we have different definitions. That's also poor leadership.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What gets me is the prevalence of this coach player relationship with more than Dez. Zeke was late tpo a meeting and the running backs coach asked him if he over slept and Zeke said he can't seem to sleep. This was during the fight to stay on the field.

The running backs coach agreed and soft soaped him.

Back in the day there used to be a debate here about the tough coach versus the coach that isn't. Anytime you brought up Jimmy you'd get the "Hey, this is a capped league now and you can't just cut players." As if this was an excuse for not intimidating the crap out of the players.

This game is built on intimidation. Maybe cutting Dez will wake these guys up. But you hear it said from people outside of the organization that Dallas has a country club feel.

Proximo

Reaction score
Ya’ll can argue all day and night about the true impact of his distractive behavior, but the bottom line is-

His production didn’t match the price tag anymore, AND his production wasn’t good enough to make up for said distractive behavior.

It also appears as though our real GM (McClay) thinks he’s over the hill. He said as much in different words.

*And for the record I am not some sort of Dez hater. My post history speaks for itself. I’ve always been a Dez fan and pretty much always gave him the benefit of the doubt.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What gets me is the prevalence of this coach player relationship with more than Dez. Zeke was late tpo a meeting and the running backs coach asked him if he over slept and Zeke said he can't seem to sleep. This was during the fight to stay on the field.

The running backs coach agreed and soft soaped him.

Back in the day there used to be a debate here about the tough coach versus the coach that isn't. Anytime you brought up Jimmy you'd get the "Hey, this is a capped league now and you can't just cut players." As if this was an excuse for not intimidating the crap out of the players.

This game is built on intimidation. Maybe cutting Dez will wake these guys up. But you hear it said from people outside of the organization that Dallas has a country club feel.
I can't imagine what that kid was going through with all of the league nonsense. I probably couldn't sleep either. I get that it's his job and his case issues are no excuse but I do understand how that could affect a young kid.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I can't imagine what that kid was going through with all of the league nonsense. I probably couldn't sleep either. I get that it's his job and his case issues are no excuse but I do understand how that could affect a young kid.

And then the issue in the Bronco game where he just quit on the pick play. Garrett brought it up, but he also let Zeke off the hook.

I just think of Jimmy and Haley in the restroom after the first half of the 1992 Denver game at Denver and Jimmy flushed the toilet and told Haley, "This is your career if you don't get off your butt and start playing hard the second half." Or something along those lines.

Seems something like, "Next time you quit on the team you will sit the rest of the game and maybe the one after. I know you are in the middle of something, but Cowboys don't quit on their teammates."

Garrett preaches being brothers and they do that hand shake thing each week. Yet here is a star just Jake legging it on a play and nothing. And as you can tell by my signature, I really like Zeke.

But this star attitude from the less mature players needs to be reeled in.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Scandrick was so overrated on here. He was good, but thought to be better than he was by fans due to the years of bad cornerback play on the team. The one memorable game for me that shows how good Scandrick should have been is when he shut down OBJ. I believe that was the same game Carr got posterized by him.
And then the next game they played OBJ torched him deep and had him pull his hamstring on the play lol.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He was an entitled jerk and if he were catching 16 TDs he could justify it. He couldn't so the team moved on.

Dude needs to go to a therapist. He is not taking his eroding skills well at all and the athletic decline after age 28 is a reality he cannot escape.
Don't I remember you defending Greg Hardy for days? Yet Dez is an entitled jerk who had to go?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Some of yall are more sensitive than Dez lol. If his behavior bothered you that much than consider maybe you are just as sensitive.

While I agree Dez had several moments he was disrespectful, consider two things.

1. Dooley was weak willed and had no ability to put Dez in his place. He allowed Dez to walk all over him. No it wasnt right by Dez but consider (2.)

2. Maybe Dez thought as little of our coaches as most of yall do? Maybe he realized thier deficiencies and it pissed him off?

Everyone wants to pile on these coaches but gets upset when Dez does it? Im actually ok with Dez being cut so PLEASE dont think Im defending him at all costs. Ive remained neutral but that doesnt mean Im going to pile it on either.

Dez sucked and our coaches sucked. His attitude is exaggerated imo and a coach worth his salt wouldve fixed it.

I also noticed that when he went off on his tangents every other WR in the room sat there quietly. It amazes me NO ONE ever stepped up and said Dez "coach is trying to tell us these guys are good and will require our focus." This tells me our WRS are weak in general or SICK of listening to Dooley.

Your assessment is very fair.

Reactions: CWR

kumizi

Reaction score
Coaches that are not bigtime (Belichek, Phil Jackson, etc) routinely have to cater to and take a back seat to their star athletes.

Dre11

Reaction score
And then instead of listening to the HC talk after the drills Dez is once again not paying attention to the lesson and is freelancing around the group. There's two clear examples of Dez not focusing on his job with two different coaches. Sorry, if every excuse is he's passionate and competitive then we have different definitions. That's also poor leadership.

How in the hell do you know he wasn’t listen or that he wasn’t focus, he took what Dooley was saying about the first 5 steps and applied it, but I guess you missed that....lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes. there is something wrong because had he listened to Dooley maybe he'd have been better prepared. They shut him down and he played volleyball instead of making a catch.
Waaaa, I don't wanna hear you coach.......

And that int had nothing to do with anything Dooley said....lol

Whyjerry

Reaction score
In episode one of All or Nothing, WR coach Dooley was in film study with the WRs and they were prepping for the Denver game.

Dooley said something to the effect of "these guys are really good, if we want to succeed then we need to bring our A game."

Well after he said this, Dez pitched a fit, saying something to the effect of "Man why you gotta always be like that, these guys aint that good and you're always talking about how good other teams are and never believing we can beat them, why can't you tell us we are good" and so on. It really sounded whiny and Dez sounded like a total drama queen. He was basically mad that Dooley wasn't stroking his ego.

The part that blew my ever-loving mind was that Dooley, the COACH, flippin APOLOGIZED! What in the hell?? Since when do coaches have to apologize to their players for being real? Denver's D is no joke. He was trying to let them know it wasn't going to be easy.

Welp, we got absolutely dominated that game. 42-17.

I know a lot of us don't want to believe it, myself included, but I think Dez was a rough person to deal with behind the scenes.

Did this rub any of you the wrong way?
In episode one of All or Nothing, WR coach Dooley was in film study with the WRs and they were prepping for the Denver game.

Dooley said something to the effect of "these guys are really good, if we want to succeed then we need to bring our A game."

Well after he said this, Dez pitched a fit, saying something to the effect of "Man why you gotta always be like that, these guys aint that good and you're always talking about how good other teams are and never believing we can beat them, why can't you tell us we are good" and so on. It really sounded whiny and Dez sounded like a total drama queen. He was basically mad that Dooley wasn't stroking his ego.

The part that blew my ever-loving mind was that Dooley, the COACH, flippin APOLOGIZED! What in the hell?? Since when do coaches have to apologize to their players for being real? Denver's D is no joke. He was trying to let them know it wasn't going to be easy.

Welp, we got absolutely dominated that game. 42-17.

I know a lot of us don't want to believe it, myself included, but I think Dez was a rough person to deal with behind the scenes.

Did this rub any of you the wrong way?

Yes that cracked me up. Dez goes for a whopping 59 yards that game which sadly was one of his better games. The guy had the intelligence of an 8 year old. Good riddance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How in the hell do you know he wasn’t listen or that he wasn’t focus, he took what Dooley was saying about the first 5 steps and applied it, but I guess you missed that....lol
I'm sorry, what are you trying to say?

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
And then the issue in the Bronco game where he just quit on the pick play. Garrett brought it up, but he also let Zeke off the hook.

I just think of Jimmy and Haley in the restroom after the first half of the 1992 Denver game at Denver and Jimmy flushed the toilet and told Haley, "This is your career if you don't get off your butt and start playing hard the second half." Or something along those lines.

Seems something like, "Next time you quit on the team you will sit the rest of the game and maybe the one after. I know you are in the middle of something, but Cowboys don't quit on their teammates."

Garrett preaches being brothers and they do that hand shake thing each week. Yet here is a star just Jake legging it on a play and nothing. And as you can tell by my signature, I really like Zeke.

But this star attitude from the less mature players needs to be reeled in.
We don’t know if Garrett ever confronted Zeke directly about this.

Just because we didn’t see it on the show doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

What we did see is that Zeke was very contrite at a press conference shortly thereafter. So, someone got to him (or he came to accept responsibility on his own).

My point is that while the series was a really cool glimpse of what happens behind the scenes, and we can probably draw some pretty strong suspicions on what else is going on while the cameras are NOT rolling, our conclusions are ultimately based on a (very) incomplete picture.

All things considered, I am happy to have had the opportunity to glance behind the curtain, however brief a glance that was provided.

Reactions: G2