All started with the disrespect of Bill Callahan

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where did I say he was fired? He was chased out. Bill Parcells took responsibilities away from him and he didn't see a future here. So he left.

You said he was "run off". Were we supposed to take "run off" as being synonymous with "they wanted to keep him"?

And no, he wasn't "chased out", and I would love for you to explain how a promotion to assistant head coach and OC constitutes taking responsibilities away from him.

It's not only ridiculous, but nonsensical and laughable that you think the lure of a head coaching gig wasn't responsible for him leaving - as if being happier in Dallas would have made him pass on the opportunity to reach the highest level in the football coaching profession.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You said he was "run off". Were we supposed to take "run off" as being synonymous with "they wanted to keep him"?

And no, he wasn't "chased out", and I would love for you to explain how a promotion to assistant head coach and OC constitutes taking responsibilities away from him.

It's not only ridiculous, but nonsensical and laughable that you think the lure of a head coaching gig wasn't responsible for him leaving - as if being happier in Dallas would have made him pass on the opportunity to reach the highest level in the football coaching profession.

He lost play calling before he left.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Really? Jerry disrespected the franchise by hiring Phillips in the first place. And as great as you think Bill Callahan is, the Commanders have done squat since he went there and he failed in his head coaching opportunities.

He's dealt with crazy injuries last year. Their OL injuries were as bad as I can remember.

But from all accounts it looks like he may have revived APs career there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2017 OL ranked 21st by pff, record 7/9

Of course I'm biased and was surprised the online was 7th in 2016 and 11th in 2015.

It's your prerogative of course to place value in those subjective numbers. I don't.

But those numbers don't factor in the fact that everyone on that line was injured.

dfense

Reaction score
Callahan sucked at calling plays. So he lost the job.

Wade was soft as a headcoach. Great D coordinator. Camp cupcake?

GenoT

Reaction score
Bill Callahan who isn't great, was still THREE times the coach Jason Garrett ever was. He should have been allowed to install his offense while he was here. We're still running Jason Garrett's garbage offense whether it be under Garrett or Linehan. This offense has no creativity.

I don't think you need to blow up this offense as far as the players are involved (not all of them anyway), you just need to start from scratch on coaching. Every single offensive coach should be fired including the rb coach. Bring some creativity here. Even when this offense was tooling it was because we had 1st round draft picks or pro bowlers littered at every position. Garrett has shown time and time again, he can't deal with having to use a back up player. That's why Jones was so excited about Prescott, we were winning despite a backup QB.
Nope.

It all started when Jerry Jones ran Jimmy Johnson off.

Other than Barry Switzer being smart enough to step back and let Jimmy’s vets win the last SB (1996), Jerry’s only had one real HC since then (Bill Parcells) and he managed to run BP off as well.

While I’ll entertain the idea that Bill Callahan might(?) be a better HC than Garrett, he wouldn’t have made enough of a difference to get us another SB, as long as Jerry Jones was the GM.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Callahan sucked at calling plays. So he lost the job.

Wade was soft as a headcoach. Great D coordinator. Camp cupcake?

Callahan sucked at calling plays for Garrett's offense. Callahan is a west coast guy.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Nope.

It all started when Jerry Jones ran Jimmy Johnson off.

Other than Barry Switzer being smart enough to step back and let Jimmy’s vets win the last SB (1996), Jerry’s only had one real HC since then (Bill Parcells) and he managed to run BP off as well.

While I’ll entertain the idea that Bill Callahan might(?) be a better HC than Garrett, he wouldn’t have made enough of a difference to get us another SB, as long as Jerry Jones was the GM.

The point isn't that Callahan is a better head coach than Garrett, though basically anyone would be... The point is that this front office has created a system on a poor foundation that could never stand in the first place.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll he is a great OL coach, he just thinks he is so much more than that. It does seem a little more tan coincidence that our OL play started to drop off after he left.

That does seem weird until you realize that it isn't true as in 2016 the Cowboys had the best OL in the game. The great legendary Bill Callahan wasn't a part of it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That does seem weird until you realize that it isn't true as in 2016 the Cowboys had the best OL in the game. The great legendary Bill Callahan wasn't a part of it.

You have to look at investments and maturation as well.

I do think that 2014 line was better than the 2016 line though.

GenoT

Reaction score
The point isn't that Callahan is a better head coach than Garrett, though basically anyone would be... The point is that this front office has created a system on a poor foundation that could never stand in the first place.
Bingo!

Disrespecting Callahan had nothing to do it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Bingo!

Disrespecting Callahan had nothing to do it.

I disagree. The offensive line was the foundation of the offense. By pushing Callahan out, they were a detriment to that very foundation.

Ultimately, however, it goes back further than that, which starts by undermining Wade Phillips.

People don't understand or think about the mistakes and decisions they make and how they snowball and domino into other issues.

What are the odds that Wade Phillips with no connection to Jason Garrett, hires Jason Garrett. Puts his second? chance at head coach on the line for a completely inexperienced offensive coordinator? It wouldn't happen.

In reality, Jerry Jones interviewed a 2 year? QB coach to be head coach, but couldn't justify it, so he hired someone he knew he could push out easily after a few years... It was always Garrett.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

His fingerprints were still there. T Smith, Frederick, Leary, and Martin learned the game under Callahan. You look at a guy like La'el Collins and see what a piece of poop he turned out to be and see what a crappy OL coach does to a young lineman.

Believe Jeremy Parnell and Doug Free had their best seasons under Callahan as well.