All That Fuss About our D Tackles

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walk us through it. How are we getting gashed or abused in the run game along the d-line?

The notion is pure unadulterated drivel.

Nobody said they were. Take your strawman somewhere else. But they're also not strong enough there for you to be giving anyone any "told ya so's!" like you're attempting here.

The defense has been outstanding--top NFC D based on points allowed-- and really the only weaknesses have been some mediocre safety plays and some assignment breakdowns in the secondary.

And now you're trying to run down another road about the overall defense, nice try.

lockster

Reaction score
This is beyond silly. Marinelli isn't even using bigger guys! No bigger at all!

The mythology memes just never end around here.
dude, you don't think woods, price and Ross are bigger than Crawford, McClain, Irving? Do I need to pull out my lindy's football book and start copying to this page?

blueblood70

Reaction score
A month ago there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how our lack of defensive tackles was going to sabotage the team. Marinelli was crucified for not valuing the big nasties in the middle. Our front office was vilified for not getting a 340 pound thumper in the middle.

Six games into the season the defense is #2 in points allowed. We’ve given up 3.5 yard per rush attempt. I guess the guys inside knew a bit more than the guys on the outside.
i know all the doom and gloom was correct in record but all way FN off on a lot of the players..its the way even the media, critics and fan base like to think they know so much but its all rhetoric and guessing..we could use a lot more turnovers to really be a great defense but its been very good..

kskboys

Reaction score
What's even crazier is that the Rams, with one of the greatest DLs ever assembled with Suh, Donald, and Brockers have been getting criticism about not stopping the run and generally not as productive as expected. Also pretty sure Their DL is exponentially more expensive than ours.
It's not crazy. Suh and Donald are both 3 techs. And I think Brockers is more the 3 tech type also. They lack that 6-0/310 guy who plugs it up and makes everyone around him better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Let's keep a few things in perspective

This need for DT has been going on for several years
Marinelli has not put up great defenses since he's been here. We get the occasional uptick but nothing consistent
Woods was a total fluke out of left field. So this FO was planning to go into the season with one DT suspended and the other one injured. They were planning on ignoring this position this year just like last year but we're gifted Woods
We're early in the season and DL wears down later in the season and teams run in cold weather so we don't know how these guys will perform even this year in December

After years and years of ignoring the position the FO got lucky. That is not reason to applaud them, it is reason to say: see idiots, a good 1T DT IS really really really important to a good defense like the rest of us have been saying for years and years

Now, what fans have to do is to hope and pray that lightning strikes twice and somehow someway an UDFA FS becomes a great FS. Then homers like you can come in here next season or the season after that or the season after that and crow and preen that "the problem at FS never materialized "

Just because the DT are doing ok through 5 games means that the house is not burning down but the people living in the house did little to prevent it from burning
Good stuff.

We've been better against the run twice. When TMac plugged the middle, and now when Woods is plugging the middle.

No one is saying a NT has to be 400 lbs to be effective. It's the height/weight ratio. 6-0/310 has the low build you need.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never thought the situation at DT was as big a problem as many have feared. Having said that, there’s a lot of DT talent in this year’s draft. It won’t surprise me at all if they use a high pick on one.
Since we don't use high picks on 1 tech types, it would shock the holy bejeezers out of me!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
This is beyond silly. Marinelli isn't even using bigger guys! No bigger at all!

The mythology memes just never end around here.
Not bigger, more prototypically built.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. It's not the size, it's the build. You need that low build to keep the OL's from getting under your pads. A more slim build at NT will get you more penetrations, but the tradeoff is that it also brings more gashes up the middle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Six games into the season the defense is #2 in points allowed. We’ve given up 3.5 yard per rush attempt. I guess the guys inside knew a bit more than the guys on the outside.

It was totally reasonable to be concerned.

DTs were an issue, so we moved Crawford back to DT, and we lucked out on Woods. Lawrence has been playing great, Taco is ok, and the LBs are monsters.

We made adjustments, and the DEs and LBs delivered around the DTs.

We're probably in good shape now, though, with Irving and Collins back. And Lee.

Great shape, actually. This should be the strongest front 7 we've had since forever.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good stuff.

We've been better against the run twice. When TMac plugged the middle, and now when Woods is plugging the middle.

No one is saying a NT has to be 400 lbs to be effective. It's the height/weight ratio. 6-0/310 has the low build you need.

Woods - 6-1, 318
A good fit

We struck gold on that one. Or at least silver. Will only be ERFA in 2020. Scavenging NFL dumpsters, and came up with a starter. I know you want to spend more at 1tech, but that's pretty good quality, and we paid nothing for it.

I still think Collins can be ok at 1tech. Better if you want more pass rush than Woods. 6-2, 308.

Interesting to see what we do with Irving and Crawford in the offseason.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Since we don't use high picks on 1 tech types, it would shock the holy bejeezers out of me!!!!!

It would probably be a 3 technique that could play some 1. It would allow them to move on from Crawford's contract and/or Irvin if he keeps getting suspended.

ghst187

Reaction score
It's not crazy. Suh and Donald are both 3 techs. And I think Brockers is more the 3 tech type also. They lack that 6-0/310 guy who plugs it up and makes everyone around him better.

Are you suggesting you can’t just plug big name stars with bloated salaries into a team and expect them to perform at their previous all pro levels?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It would probably be a 3 technique that could play some 1. It would allow them to move on from Crawford's contract and/or Irvin if he keeps getting suspended.

3T early seems very likely next year. It's interesting. There are a possibilities with Irving, Crawford, and Collins. A stud TE would be a good idea too.