All That Fuss About our D Tackles

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Who is to say that the D isn’t playing well in spite of the DT’s? Do DT’s not also play a role in the passing game in Op’s Opinion?

6 weeks of good play from an overall D isn’t proof that the DT position isn’t important. Why not a thread rubbing in how everyone was wrong about S’s as well?
Because Woods, Irving, Crawford, Collins and Ross have all made but time plays and/or pressure. As far as safety they have made some mistakes but both starters have an interception

lockster

Reaction score
No one id
Given the pedigree of the guys he's coached in Dallas...he's been elite.

-Lawrence was drafted in the second round...expected to be pretty good...not the monster he's become.
-George Selvie was total journey man...under Rod 7 sacks
-Antuan Wood is on the street...until he's with Rod...then he's showing something
-There are lots of guys that have career seasons with Marinelli

As far as the secondary...no I don't think he's much good in scheme or coaching there. His thing has always been the d-line.
no one is saying he can't coach dls, but his philosophy is what's kept our line getting the ball ran over them until we started with price and better still with Woods. 312 lbs is a load at his height. Kris Richards is way better at designing defense even though he may not be Marinelli 's equal in coach8ng do. I bet McClay had something to do with getting some real nose tackles. The guys Marinelli hand picked from the draft aren't even on the roster. Remember him in the draft room cheering for those lousy 6th 7th rounders

lockster

Reaction score
This post is pure head-scratcher.

Marinelli didn't change a thing in his philosophy or approach. He likes his rotation of guys and he doesn't like space-eating hulks. He likes penetration and quickness.

Rod eats critics for breakfast.
Marinelli probably Hasnt changed, but his bosses have thankfully made him use a bigger guy at nose tackle the last two years. Marinelli needs to stick with coaching the DL, and leave defensive coordinator to Richards, and player acquisition to others.

ghst187

Reaction score
A month ago there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how our lack of defensive tackles was going to sabotage the team. Marinelli was crucified for not valuing the big nasties in the middle. Our front office was vilified for not getting a 340 pound thumper in the middle.

Six games into the season the defense is #2 in points allowed. We’ve given up 3.5 yard per rush attempt. I guess the guys inside knew a bit more than the guys on the outside.

What's even crazier is that the Rams, with one of the greatest DLs ever assembled with Suh, Donald, and Brockers have been getting criticism about not stopping the run and generally not as productive as expected. Also pretty sure Their DL is exponentially more expensive than ours.

visionary

Reaction score
His perennial development of 8-deep keeps the guys fresher than other teams and more able to sustain an injury.

I'm worried about Tank's shoulder and don't understand why he waited to get it fixed. But I expect to see improvements from Gregory and Armstrong.

Let's keep a few things in perspective

This need for DT has been going on for several years
Marinelli has not put up great defenses since he's been here. We get the occasional uptick but nothing consistent
Woods was a total fluke out of left field. So this FO was planning to go into the season with one DT suspended and the other one injured. They were planning on ignoring this position this year just like last year but we're gifted Woods
We're early in the season and DL wears down later in the season and teams run in cold weather so we don't know how these guys will perform even this year in December

After years and years of ignoring the position the FO got lucky. That is not reason to applaud them, it is reason to say: see idiots, a good 1T DT IS really really really important to a good defense like the rest of us have been saying for years and years

Now, what fans have to do is to hope and pray that lightning strikes twice and somehow someway an UDFA FS becomes a great FS. Then homers like you can come in here next season or the season after that or the season after that and crow and preen that "the problem at FS never materialized "

Just because the DT are doing ok through 5 games means that the house is not burning down but the people living in the house did little to prevent it from burning

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting point to note:

Of our three victories this season? All three teams rank below average in rushing so far this season.

Of our three losses this season? All three teams rank above average in rushing so far this season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Maybe we're not quite as good vs the run as some would have us believe? Or at least that we haven't been consistently tested by quality rushing attacks to this point.

I remember a similar argument last year that the run defense was acceptable, or even good. While Todd Gurley had a field day and the Eagles put up 200 yards rushing, among several other performances. While I might say so far so good and that it hasn't really been a huge issue, I wouldn't be puffing my chest out and saying "told ya so!" at this point either.

visionary

Reaction score

Of our three victories this season? All three teams rank below average in rushing so far this season.

Of our three losses this season? All three teams rank above average in rushing so far this season.

Maybe we're not quite as good vs the run as some would have us believe? Or at least that we haven't been consistently tested by quality rushing attacks to this point.

I remember a similar argument last year that the run defense was acceptable, or even good. While Todd Gurley had a field day and the Eagles put up 200 yards rushing, among several other performances. While I might say so far so good and that it hasn't really been a huge issue, I wouldn't be puffing my chest out and saying "told ya so!" at this point either.

This is not possible since we have been brainwashed by the stat geeks that rushing has no correlation with winning

All the coaches and players who say their number 1 priority is to stop the rush (or run the ball effectively) are all wrong and the stat geeks who take 1 stat completely out of context are right

T-RO

Reaction score

Maybe we're not quite as good vs the run as some would have us believe?

Correlation is not causation. We lost those three games because we couldn't score in any of them! We haven't lost a game this year because of the defense.

Seattle averaged 3 yards per carry on us; Houston averaged 2.8

T-RO

Reaction score
This is not possible since we have been brainwashed by the stat geeks that rushing has no correlation with winning

All the coaches and players who say their number 1 priority is to stop the rush (or run the ball effectively) are all wrong and the stat geeks who take 1 stat completely out of context are right

Simple question: If one wants to blame the cowboys defense for the Texan's loss--quite silly but I'll play along--how did we give up the vast majority of yards and points? The SECONDARY. Houston got 81% of their yardage against us by passing.

Safety play has been the only consistent weakness w/our defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correlation is not causation. We lost those three games because we couldn't score in any of them! We haven't lost a game this year because of the defense.

Seattle averaged 3 yards per carry on us; Houston averaged 2.8

I never claimed that it was the sole reason. Just that it factored in. Specifically against Carolina (omitted) and Seattle.

And I’ll agree that the defense hasn’t been the cause of a loss. But your “told ya so” attempt here was misguided.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's a considerable difference between what we're fielding in the middle of our defensive line this year and what we had back there in the past.
They'll make an exciting difference in the remainder of our games if they have anything so say about it -- and they surely will. Book it, folks. :flagwave:

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. Rock solid. Airtight. Irrefutable.

Fans were worried offenses would gash us on the run and that absolutely has NOT happened.

Bull****. But keep looking bad if that’s your goal here.

T-RO

Reaction score
Marinelli probably Hasnt changed, but his bosses have thankfully made him use a bigger guy at nose tackle the last two years.

This is beyond silly. Marinelli isn't even using bigger guys! No bigger at all!

The mythology memes just never end around here.

visionary

Reaction score
Simple question: If one wants to blame the cowboys defense for the Texan's loss--quite silly but I'll play along--how did we give up the vast majority of yards and points? The SECONDARY. Houston got 81% of their yardage against us by passing.

Safety play has been the only consistent weakness w/our defense.

Not sure if this is just actual inability to comprehend or willfull ignorance on your part

You guys have to stop being prisoners of the moment
Stop focusing on one or 2 games
Look at what our defensive deficiencies have been FOR THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS

1T DT and FS have been crying needs for many many years

T-RO

Reaction score
Bull****. But keep looking bad if that’s your goal here.

Walk us through it. How are we getting gashed or abused in the run game along the d-line?

The notion is pure unadulterated drivel.

The defense has been outstanding--top NFC D based on points allowed-- and really the only weaknesses have been some mediocre safety plays and some assignment breakdowns in the secondary.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I never thought the situation at DT was as big a problem as many have feared. Having said that, there’s a lot of DT talent in this year’s draft. It won’t surprise me at all if they use a high pick on one.