All you who said you thought Kevon Frazier would make the cut, stand up

tayloner

Reaction score
I think I saw a tweet, trying to find it, but Wilson is probably gonna miss time with his injury the other day, and Darian Thompson is also dealing with an injury. So essentially Kavon is the only healthy depth, they were forced to keep him. Speculating, but he may be a cut once the other guys are healthier.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would be the first guy to bring back Gregory, Quinn, Irving and Hardy for week 1 if they were available. McClain situation is a little different because we are very deep at star LB, but why not strengthen your team as much as possible?

Hardy? The joke who is fighting in MMA because no one wants him? :muttley:

McClain doesn't care about football. He cares about McClain. Anyone with a clue sees him for what he is, and isn't counting on him for anything.

Altestic

Reaction score
Hardy? The joke who is fighting in MMA because no one wants him? :muttley:

McClain doesn't care about football. He cares about McClain. Anyone with a clue sees him for what he is, and isn't counting on him for anything.
McClain is a good guy who's been through problems. Same for Gregory. Now Hardy is kind of a jerk like Charles Haley was, but he had 7 sacks his last season and provided constant pressure in only 12 games. "No one wants him" had nothing to do his on-field football reasons. I'm not in favor of keeping guys like Heath just because they are RKGs in favor of "bad guys" who are better football players. Now Joseph Randle was a jerk but he wasn't good enough.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I didn’t predict anyone to make the roster. What the hell do we know about the players and how they practice and how they are in meetings and how they are on film? Nothing.

Granted, we're all getting intel second-hand at-best regarding anything outside of the preseason games, and from sources who, like any other human, is going to bring their own biases to any discussion.

So, sure, it should only be natural to assume there will be some "surprises."

But speculation is part of the entertainment value. No one fined, no one rewarded. It's just part of the fun of being a fan to try to figure things out from a distance.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
He he...an out of shape uncommitted druggie...dont need em...our team annually has at least 2 suspensions...time to put that in the rear view. As for Gregory, I bet 90% of the posters expect him to be suspended by seasons end. If he really was committed to playing, he would have attempted reinstatement before the end of TC.

You don't KNOW that he's out of shape. McClain was a supremely gifted linebacker with excellent football instincts. He's just also been an idiot. Maybe he's smartened up. Whatever the case, there is no way the Cowboys will keep him at a salary of $5M. If he wants to play for the Cowboys, he'd have to agree to a new contract.

The questions in my mind are,
  1. "How long do they get to make up their minds?
  2. Doesn't he need to pass a physical to come back?
  3. Do the Cowboys get a roster exemption for McClain, so they can actually determine if he's capable of playing?
  4. Can McClain practice with the team during that period of a roster exemption?
  5. How much would the Cowboys be willing to pay him?
  6. Would McClain take a paycut to stay with Dallas, or would he force them to cut him by sticking to his contract?
  7. Could the Cowboys decide to cut him after signing him to a new deal, and before his roster exemption runs out, if they decide he's not worth keeping?
  8. If he's on the roster, even with an exemption, next Sunday, would his contract become guaranteed, like other vested veterans?
  9. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, how could the Cowboys determine if he's actually serious about playing football, and not just collecting a paycheck?

Altestic

Reaction score
You don't KNOW that he's out of shape. McClain was a supremely gifted linebacker with excellent football instincts. He's just also been an idiot. Maybe he's smartened up. Whatever the case, there is no way the Cowboys will keep him at a salary of $5M. If he wants to play for the Cowboys, he'd have to agree to a new contract.

3. Do the Cowboys get a roster exemption for McClain, so they can actually determine if he's capable of playing?
  6. Would McClain take a paycut to stay with Dallas, or would he force them to cut him by sticking to his contract?
  7. Could the Cowboys decide to cut him after signing him to a new deal, and before his roster exemption runs out, if they decide he's not worth keeping?
  8. If he's on the roster, even with an exemption, next Sunday, would his contract become guaranteed, like other vested veterans?
  9. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, how could the Cowboys determine if he's actually serious about playing football, and not just collecting a paycheck?
exactly. Points 3-7 are most important. Paying him $5m/season would be ridiculous. He's going to have to agree to a prove-it year for a million or less. And he's going to have to agree to play on special teams to earn his snaps. Prove to me that he's worth trading Joe Thomas for a 3rd rounder or something like that. Because we know Lee won't be available for 16 games even if he is the 3rd LB.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Did we have people hate on Frazier? He’s always had a good rep for hitting. He got injured a bit but that happens. He’s good depth...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Frazier is basically a Barry Church clone. Great on special teams, OK as a box safety only, but absolutely atrocious in coverage.

Church was a *good* in the box safety. Frazier is a failed attempt at a Barry Church clone. If he were even OK as a box safety, we wouldn't have been playing Heath there.

IMO, good chance he gets cut if Wilson is healthy when Quinn comes back.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Another detail - when he left he owed the team some prorated bonus dollars from the bonus we gave him in the contract where he got suspended.

Lots of fans like to get all emotional and want to just throw Purple Drank in the river, but I expect the Cowboys to not throw away his rights until it costs them something to keep them. I bet Jerry wants to draw down every last penny of the owed prorated bonus dollars.

Possible they keep him for a while even if on the 5mil. *If* the contract is not guaranteed, and we get weeks of evaluation without paying for him, then why not? We don't know how much he has left, or whether someone else will get injured. Due diligence. Don't throw away options.

Hadenough

Reaction score
... and take a bow.

And. Explain why you thought that would happen. Other than Knight being on the 53, that one's the biggest surprise fer me.
I thought Frazier looked good in 2017 and was gonna be even better the next year. Kinda surprised he didnt get more playing time last year. He is a physical tackler and hits hard. Probably good special teams player.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I didn’t predict anyone to make the roster. What the hell do we know about the players and how they practice and how they are in meetings and how they are on film? Nothing.
I get it. I just don't want his crazy arse around those young minds.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Did we have people hate on Frazier? He’s always had a good rep for hitting. He got injured a bit but that happens. He’s good depth...
Agreed, I've been a Frazier fan from the start. Great hitter and good instinct. I know he doesn't have the top gear people would like to see in a safety, but I think he's better in pass coverage than more give him credit for. I don't think he's an all star at it, but not as bad as some portray.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm standing. I never thought he would be cut. I am on record on this board many times saying he wouldn't be. His special teams prowess cant be ignored. The team agrees with me apparently.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully. McClain would instantly be our 4th best linebacker and one hamstring pull away from being our 3rd.
He hasn’t played in 2 years, so that’s far from certain. Plus he’s really only a MLB with very limited coverage ability.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Agreed, I've been a Frazier fan from the start. Great hitter and good instinct. I know he doesn't have the top gear people would like to see in a safety, but I think he's better in pass coverage than more give him credit for. I don't think he's an all star at it, but not as bad as some portray.

He’s been burned a few times for being out of position but who hasn’t. Still it’s telling that he hasn’t beat out Heath. We’ve needed upgrades in the backfield for a while but I don’t hate the guy. He’s serviceable...