Allen Hurns To Be Approached About Pay Cut

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
I didn't understand the fascination with Hurns when Dallas signed him, and I really don't understand it now. He's nothing special.

The FO was probably overly confident to land Sammy Watkins. Hurns was plan B.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If Hurns agrees to a paycut and then you trade him, expect more of our FAs to play hardball with the FO. You can't play the 'just business' card on players, but then expect them to take a hometown discount.

But the other side of the argument is that its a pay for play league and Hurns didn't perform. He averaged 4 catches per game for the Jags and 1 catch per game last year in Dallas. And Dallas paid him 6 Million dollars last year.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I didn't understand the fascination with Hurns when Dallas signed him, and I really don't understand it now. He's nothing special.
Don't get it either. He's the definition of a JAG. Not terrible but not that good either. I feel for his injury (well thankfully not) but this is the NFL,

Wood

Reaction score

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It makes sense, but after the Cobb acquisition and Tavon Austin re-signing I'm not sure why Hurns is even still on the roster.

I know he had the bad leg injury and he's a heck of a nice guy and teammate, but this is a business.
He's on the roster because he is injured obviously. How you treat injured players resonates in this league ... because it's a business.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It makes sense, but after the Cobb acquisition and Tavon Austin re-signing I'm not sure why Hurns is even still on the roster.

I know he had the bad leg injury and he's a heck of a nice guy and teammate, but this is a business.
But if he takes a huge pay cut why not keep him. Would be 4th or 5th option and he is great value at that spot. Would be hard to find a team with better depth

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

No reason to throw away his rights until we have to. Not a penny is guaranteed. Given his limited production last year, he's got to know that he's not going to get the full contract this year. We'll squeeze him til August and he the opportunities to go elsewhere are few and far between.

But Hurns was actually very good per target after game 6. I have some hope for real production out of him.

It's weird how completely his production flipped. Game 6 he was 0/5, but even if you throw that game out, it's a huge turnaround.
Up to game 6 8/21 84
After game 6 12/14 211

Austin was another guy with great per touch numbers. If he stays healthy like he did for all but last year, and we use him, we should get a lot out of him.

I really like our WRs. I see a lot of quality.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dude has a $4 million base salary.

Not sure why he is still on the roster.

Either pay cut or release, his choice

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ummm.... what? Sorry but I just follow that. If they were cheap, they wouldn't have overpaid him.

There's no hiding the fact that the Cowboys' FO is known to be highly frugal these days. They simply misjudged Hurns' talent and overpaid, due to an error in judgment. They apparently felt they didn't need a #1 wideout to get by. I suppose the term "frugal" is a gentler way to put it, though, huh? ;)

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
For those of us wondering what the team would do with Hurns and his contract, here it is:

https://nfltraderumors.co/cowboys-expected-to-approach-wr-allen-hurns-about-pay-cut/

My guess is some of this will be used towards Quinn.

What do y’all think?

LooL, I knew someone would come up with saving one or two million on Hurns for the sake of Quinn. Trust me, Quinn will want much more than Hurns' savings. If we're thinking a one year deal with Quinn, forget it, he and his agent will crap on that quicker than I crap in the morning and I crap right after my first cup of coffee!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, I forgot about Robinson.

Actually you didn't. He wasn't plan B for the Cowboys. In fact, he signed with the Bears on March 13th, before free agency officially began while Watkins signed with the Chiefs on the 14th.

The Cowboys only had two plans in 2018, and they were both bad. First, they couldn't decide if or when they were cutting Bryant, and second, they almost paid huge money for Sammy Watkins. Thank you Chiefs!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if he takes a huge pay cut why not keep him. Would be 4th or 5th option and he is great value at that spot. Would be hard to find a team with better depth

I agree, Hurns has some value at the right price. But $6.5 million ain't it. That number has to come way down.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He was actually Plan C because they pursued Allen Robinson after Watkins. And all of that was with the idea Dez would be coming back on a reduced salary.

It's interesting.
Most analysts wanted Hurns and Robinson because their logic was, these guys had 1,000 yard seasons with freaking Bortles passing them the rock. Let's see what they can do with a better QB. Then both Robinson and Hurns both fell flat.