Am I the only Cowboys Fan who has no interest in the USFL?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That supposed to premiere on NBC in April which is supposed to be something for NFL fans to watch since the NFL is over. Who will actually watch this nonsense?

If there is a line people will be watching.......:eek:

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched the Dallas Renegades when the XFL was active and will probably start doing so again when the league relaunches in 2023. It was a fun league while it lasted. The Rock bought a majority ownership and it seems that they are doing their due diligence from a business perspective so who knows, maybe this time it sticks.

As a funny side note, the Renegades were the preseason favorites to win the title and had two household names in Landry Jones at QB and Bob Stoops as head coach. They proceeded to wildly underwhelm and were barely in the middle of the league standings by the time it folded. This town has a football curse.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
If the NFL teams would invest to have a mirror spring league team for extra players on their rosters I think it could be interesting.

You would be watching players who could be potentially fighting for spots on their respective Tier 1 teams, not unlike MLB and its minor league farm system.

If they had a shortened season in the spring, played three quarters instead of four, had less timeouts, featured NFL back benchers and PS players I think it could be interesting.

This way we could see if a guy like Isaac Alarcon could really make the NFL. If we NFL fans want to see if some of our PS guys could actually play in the NFL they need snaps. Way more snaps than they currently get.

Maybe a development league in the spring could do what NFL Europe couldn't.

BTW, I suggest a shorter game cause come spring I do want to enjoy the good weather and outdoors. I rather not blow my season away watching another 3.5-4 hours on the couch each week.

Two hour game for a short 6 week season would be fun.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If the NFL teams would invest to have a mirror spring league team for extra players on their rosters I think it could be interesting.

You would be watching players who could be potentially fighting for spots on their respective Tier 1 teams, not unlike MLB and its minor league farm system.

If they had a shortened season in the spring, played three quarters instead of four, had less timeouts, featured NFL back benchers and PS players I think it could be interesting.

This way we could see if a guy like Isaac Alarcon could really make the NFL. If we NFL fans want to see if some of our PS guys could actually play in the NFL they need snaps. Way more snaps than they currently get.

Maybe a development league in the spring could do what NFL Europe couldn't.

BTW, I suggest a shorter game cause come spring I do want to enjoy the good weather and outdoors. I rather not blow my season away watching another 3.5-4 hours on the couch each week.

Two hour game for a short 6 week season would be fun.

I think this could be an interesting proposition. Maybe even combine the practice squads of a few teams in order to field a big enough roster.

Unfortunately the NFL would never do this. It would probably increase the quality of the game, but I don't see how they wold make enough money to justify the administrative costs of a spring league.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Who will oversee the new USFL?

Brian Woods, the founder and CEO of The Spring League from 2017 to 2021 and a co-founder of the new USFL, will serve as the league's President of Football Operations.

Three-time Super Bowl champion and former Dallas Cowboys fullback Daryl "Moose" Johnston will serve as Executive Vice President of Football Operations.

Joining the new USFL as Head of Officiating is former NFL Vice President of Officiating and FOX Sports' NFL and College Football Rules analyst Mike Pereira. And FOX Sports’ Edward Hartman will serve as Executive Vice President of Business Operations.

If moose is involved, at high level, should be good as it can be.

All the games in first season will be played in
Where will games be played?

In the inaugural season of the USFL, all eight teams will play in Birmingham Alabama, at both Protective Stadium and Legion Field.
protected is a small open stadium , cant tell if it is grass or turf.

I am guessing all games will be on tv in areas local to teams, or maybe just all games.
To me this is the key.
If the only games I get are the houston team, that will not be good. As viewers, we should get to watch any of the teams.
There are only 8 teams, so 4 games a week should be doable to be on tv.
If they are not on tv it wont work.

I was watching the aaf, but only a few of their games were even on tv. could not follow a team like that.

When will the season begin?

The 2022 USFL regular season will begin April 16 and run through mid-June, followed by the playoffs.

The first game will feature the Generals against the Stallions and will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 16. That game will air on both FOX and NBC, making it the first scheduled sporting event to air on competing broadcast networks since Super Bowl I in 1967, which was shown on both CBS and NBC.

all this I got from
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/usfl-2022-jeff-fisher-larry-fedora-named-as-final-two-coaches

to be honest , the nfl players are not that special, I would watch non nfl players play games and enjoy it.
But another key is the uniforms and helmets, which I expect to be bad, but hopefully they are ok.
The other thing is how the players act, hopefully they are not childish divas like so many nfl players today. I am sick of all the celebrations etc.

This should be starting this next weekend, waiting till april is a mistake. People are in football mode now, not so much 2 months from now.

I will watch and see how it goes, and then decide if I want to follow it or not.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll check it out -- the longing for football gets pretty desperate in the spring. :grin:

Sammy

Reaction score
For the amount of money USFL players are being paid they better stay in college and further their education.

Some really great players just aren't college material. If they could keep playing after high school and get NFL eyes on them when they're eligible for the NFL, that would be worth it.

I can't find player rosters for the USFL. Anyone know where the team webpages are?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That supposed to premiere on NBC in April which is supposed to be something for NFL fans to watch since the NFL is over. Who will actually watch this nonsense?

I have never got caught up in things like the WFL or USFL. I have watched some games from both leagues when they were around but not with much enthusiasm. I grew up on NFL football which consist of teams I like and teams I despise and of course the team I am a fan of and pull for. Closest thing from these league was the USFL Houston Gamblers with Jim Kelly at QB but never got overly involved with watching them as I do NFL teams

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I just heard about it and I have zero interest in it. I'd rather watch the NFL Combine re-runs.

quickccc

Reaction score
It might as well be NFL Europe all over again ..

. No Steve Youngs....Hershel Walkers.... Jim Kellys,..or Anthony Carters ...

but the just like MLB has minor league development,... NBA has their minor league development ...makes sense for NFL to have its alternative project league.

Just wonder how the NFL is gonna sell their market to fans and viewers on this league, with zero marque names ..

And how many teams are willing to risk their top projects on practice squads to injury with such a risk ?

and i'm surprised they even used the same football title as the defuncted league that tried viciously to sue the NFL in court- en route to their $one dollar total winnings. :rolleyes:

Otis313

Reaction score
Garbage football.
I certainly don’t want to watch NFL rejects play.
Thats why we have the beagles. It’s bad enough we have to watch those losers every year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some really great players just aren't college material. If they could keep playing after high school and get NFL eyes on them when they're eligible for the NFL, that would be worth it.

If a player isn’t college material they’re not going to be NFL material. All the great players in the NFL played college football. Playing college football is how they get NFL eyes on them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If a player isn’t college material they’re not going to be NFL material. All the great players in the NFL played college football. Playing college football is how they get NFL eyes on them.

I agree, I think there are guys who take longer to develop whom could benefit in a league like the USFL, not talking star player but a guy who can contribute to a team some where down the road given the time to develop . Of course you also have the rare situation like Kurt Warner

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree, I think there are guys who take longer to develop whom could benefit in a league like the USFL, not talking star player but a guy who can contribute to a team some where down the road given the time to develop . Of course you also have the rare situation like Kurt Warner

Kurt Warner is the only player I can really think of that ever amounted to anything in the NFL after playing in a scrub league.

bewp7

Reaction score
i do not like the time of it

i am tire of football now after college and nfl

now it is march madness, nba, hockey, spring training baseball (lol)

they should do another football league close to training camp in summer when basketball and hockey and stuff is over and people want football again