Am I the only Cowboys Fan who has no interest in the USFL?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Kurt Warner is the only player I can really think of that ever amounted to anything in the NFL after playing in a scrub league.

Out side of USFL players like Walker, Kelly, Young and even Nate Newton. But others have come in as backups at best.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Out side of USFL players like Walker, Kelly, Young and even Nate Newton. But others have come in as backups at best.

I’m not referring to the USFL when it first started in the early 80s. They brought in some top-notch college talent like Reggie White, Steve Young and Herschel Walker just to name a few. They were trying to compete with the NFL. Once they folded these new leagues have become scrub leagues with NFL castoffs and players that can’t even make an NFL roster.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not referring to the USFL when it first started in the early 80s. They brought in some top-notch college talent like Reggie White, Steve Young and Herschel Walker just to name a few. They were trying to compete with the NFL. Once they folded these new leagues have become scrub leagues with NFL castoffs and players that can’t even make an NFL roster.

For the most part I agree. again always exception and while none of these guys will ever be top players in the NFL these guys all played for the XFL and in the end paid off with a chance to play in the NFL. Most will never make it but in life for these guys it was an opportunity to play the game in a lesser league and continue to work to get a chance and sometimes all a person needs is the chance.

Taylor Heinicke QB Wash
Kenny Robinson S, Car
jacques patrick RB, SF

even He Hate Me Rod Smart spent 5 years in the NFL after the XFL folded

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I attended the next to last USFL championship. It was a great game, and the players were very good. Michigan vs Philadelphia, Kelvin Bryant was a beast. I followed him in college. I was attending military training in Colorado, at Lowry AFB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will check it out, but won't go out of my way to do so, or to watch an entire game at first. Just depends how bored I am at the time.
Need a team I would be interested in to watch, as well as players.
But will check it out for sure, if I remember. I am sure there will be many reminders.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think I may just have to attend these games. I'm only about 50 miles away.

Flamma

Reaction score
That supposed to premiere on NBC in April which is supposed to be something for NFL fans to watch since the NFL is over. Who will actually watch this nonsense?

One thing will determine whether I give this a chance or not. Their rules. No gimmicks. No kissing the QBs butt. Kickoff from the 30 without the stupid rules.

The best would be if they relaxed the pass interference rules, but that's probably too much to ask for. What we'll most likely get is an attempt to mirror the NFL with even more safety in mind.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
One thing will determine whether I give this a chance or not. Their rules. No gimmicks. No kissing the QBs butt. Kickoff from the 30 without the stupid rules.

The best would be if they relaxed the pass interference rules, but that's probably too much to ask for. What we'll most likely get is an attempt to mirror the NFL with even more safety in mind.
they need to make rules to help the offense, because in beginning the defenses will gel faster, and if you have games that are 13-3 fans wont
like that.
Better to have a lot of scoring, thats what fans like, and adjust rules the 2nd or 3rd season.

I agree though not to mirror NFL, because the NFL SUCKS now days.

The problem is the money guys usually know about as much as jerry about football and what fans want .

Flamma

Reaction score
they need to make rules to help the offense, because in beginning the defenses will gel faster, and if you have games that are 13-3 fans wont
like that.
Better to have a lot of scoring, thats what fans like, and adjust rules the 2nd or 3rd season.

I agree though not to mirror NFL, because the NFL SUCKS now days.

The problem is the money guys usually know about as much as jerry about football and what fans want .

I agree. They tried that with the last league. Still the defense was more dominant. Although that doesn't bother me, it might the casual fan.

My guess is they'll double down on what the NFL is doing. Eliminate kickoffs altogether. Have some gimmick for an onsides kick. Do something stupid for extra points, and to top it off, use the manure OT rules college uses. I won't even watch a single game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I probably will at least check it out. Maybe they'll do some innovative stuff that improves the sport.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Kurt Warner is the only player I can really think of that ever amounted to anything in the NFL after playing in a scrub league.

Most college football players never make it in the NFL, yet there are plenty of entertaining games and millions watch them. The NBA G league draws fans to games and people watch on streaming sites, the same is true of minor league baseball. High school football is popular in some states, and most of those kids never play college football.

If you love the sport you can still be entertained by it below the highest level. If all you want to watch is the NFL, that's fine too. A "scrub league" doesn't have to produce players for the NFL in order for some to enjoy it, and it's great for guys who just want to keep playing football. If one or two of them get lucky and make it big, all the better.

Besides, they're playing in the Spring. It's not like they're competing for eyeballs with the NFL and college football. Baseball just doesn't do it for some folks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most college football players never make it in the NFL, yet there are plenty of entertaining games and millions watch them. The NBA G league draws fans to games and people watch on streaming sites, the same is true of minor league baseball. High school football is popular in some states, and most of those kids never play college football.

If you love the sport you can still be entertained by it below the highest level. If all you want to watch is the NFL, that's fine too. A "scrub league" doesn't have to produce players for the NFL in order for some to enjoy it, and it's great for guys who just want to keep playing football. If one or two of them get lucky and make it big, all the better.

Besides, they're playing in the Spring. It's not like they're competing for eyeballs with the NFL and college football. Baseball just doesn't do it for some folks.

I don’t find it entertaining watching NFL rejects and players that aren’t even good enough to make the NFL. I’m not alone the ratings for these leagues haven’t been very good. Most fans want a break from football after the Super Bowl. These leagues keep folding for a reason they don’t have a big enough audience.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

players that get cut from NFL rosters are hardly scrubs. Go check out some youtube videos of NBA players that never smell the floor playing against guys that think they are good.... they get scorched by the 'Scrub."

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t find it entertaining watching NFL rejects and players that aren’t even good enough to make the NFL. I’m not alone the ratings for these leagues haven’t been very good. Most fans want a break from football after the Super Bowl. These leagues keep folding for a reason they don’t have a big enough audience.
if these teams were the minor league teams of NFL teams, they would have the audience.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm looking for a team to root for in the new USFL. I'm just not compelled to do so considering the choices. I think I'll wait until Dallas gets a team.