Am I the only one worn out after this season?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
For the first time ever, I feel drained from watching the cowboys this year. I feel worse from WATCHING them play this year then I did in any of the last 3 seasons of semi-pro ball where I was actually PLAYING.

I'm just extremely emotionally drained. I didn't even get upset at the botched snap. I had nothing left. And quite frankly, it didn't even surprise me. I figured we'd find a way to give the game away at that point.

The problem isn't Parcells. You people crying about him need to jump in a cactus pit, naked and with lemon juice all over you. Seriously.

The biggest problems IMO (in no particular order):

1. Dropped passes from our #1 WR. Great players make the great plays, and a minimum amount of bad plays. TO was not great this season.

2. Inexperience at QB. The 3 years on the bench helped him to prepare for the NFL, but he isn't fully developed. It's sort of like teaching your kid to ride a bike with training wheels for 3 months before you take them off and let him go. Yes he no longer needs the training wheels, but it doesn't mean he'll be entering any "extreme" sport deals any time soon.

3. OL. Way too inconsistent. If you'd told me the seahawks would stop MBIII in short yardage situations twice, I'd of laughed at you. It wasn't his fault, no hole and the OL actually got pushed BACKWARDS. Do those losers even push the sled anymore?

4. Untimely penalties and/or turnovers. Witten's fumble was huge yesterday. You can't be a "Big time" player and make stupid careless plays like that in a PLAYOFF game. Same goes for the drops (Glenn and TO).

5. Zimmer. Nuff said. No doubt in my mind our D has the talent to be top 3 (and I"m not taking about the useless yards per game ranking. I'm talking about dominance, and yards per game don't measure dominance, necessarily).

Defensively I think we have the players in place - although Steven Jackson for JuJo and Spears is heavily NOT in our favor at the moment. DL is fine. Could be better, w/o Zimmer. LBs are ok, although I'd like to replace James with someone that has a decent amount of lateral movement and can also get down the middle of the freakin' field when we call cover 2. CBs are fine, and FS is our only weakness and I think with a good DCoord, Watkins would be fine.

We need to focus on OL in FA or the draft. We need to throw the kitchen sink at that area in the draft. Hope like hell one of them (or more) turns into something decent.

I don't look forward to the offseason. Washington is proof that it's worthless to get excited about it.

Anyway, I'm just relieved the season's over. The way the team had been playing gave me no inspiration to watch them. I think I watched just cuz it's what I always do. But I don't get excited about watching them play anymore. And really, I think the biggest reason is Zimmer. I'm tired of watching that group underachieve. After 7 years you have to stop blamign the players, and look at the coach. The only constant the last 7 years with that group has been Zimmer. Even the year the D was ranked #4 in the NFL (2001 I think) I said he had to go. I don't care what the yards per game were, it was obvious the style of play would never lead to a championship caliber defense.

I liken Zimmer's style to that of trying to hold water in your hand. You have to kind of just hold your hand stiff and not move, and if you get to aggressive and squeeze your hand, the water spills out. We need a DCoord that puts the water in a pot and boils it till it's completely evaporated.

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
Yeah, this season has drained me. My expectations were very high. The way we lost almost seems like a fitting end to the way our season went. Now it's another long off-season of hoping next season will be our season.

My biggest wish is to shore up O-line and GROZ for this off-season.

WarC

Reaction score
You know, there was a weird feeling I got as it looked momentarily like we could go up and win 27-21. The excitement came down when I thought "So what? The way they've played they aren't making it past the next one..." The idea of making the Super Bowl seemed so impossible.

The last four minutes of the game I just sat there with a dead expression on my face. I wasn't really surprised either, when "it" happened.

Do you ever watch the last seconds tick off the clock and the refs blow the final whistle, and still think there is a chance that somehow there could be a penalty or something, and everyone would have to run back to the field and magically there'd be a minute on the clock? That sounds crazy but that is the kind of disbelief I feel after losses like this. It takes a minute to set in. Watching Parcells and Holgrem meet in the middle of the field and knowing deep in the recesses of my mind that it was 21-20 and the game was FINISHED was something else.

I understand what you mean perfectly. It is strange how much of an impact being a fan of a team can have on you.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rack;1296544 said:
Anyway, I'm just relieved the season's over. The way the team had been playing gave me no inspiration to watch them. I think I watched just cuz it's what I always do. But I don't get excited about watching them play anymore. And really, I think the biggest reason is Zimmer. I'm tired of watching that group underachieve. After 7 years you have to stop blamign the players, and look at the coach. The only constant the last 7 years with that group has been Zimmer. Even the year the D was ranked #4 in the NFL (2001 I think) I said he had to go. I don't care what the yards per game were, it was obvious the style of play would never lead to a championship caliber defense.

I'm tired of Zimmer as well. Every year we seem to have the potential to do something, in the month of December or close to it, some intelligent offensive coordinator exposes his scheme (Norv in 2003 and Payton in 2006). A good defensive coordinator would fix this after a single game. But, we continued to have the other team's offense exploit a weakness all throughout the last quarter of the season. Zimmer's frequent fourth quarter defense collapses just transcended to the fourth quarter of a season.

Zimmer is the only constant for an always underacheiving defense.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
very sad to say but I have to say it, losing this game gave me some relive that I don't have to die with every deffensive play some 30 time or so every week. God I hope we get a better D coordinator next year.

This season gave me so many upset stomaches it is not funny to mention.

I wish there was a memory delete machine so I can delete three games off my mind. NO, PHI, and that play.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
A lot of highs and Lows this Year, Romo does make things exciting, but sometimes for the wrong reasons.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Rack;1296544 said:
For the first time ever, I feel drained from watching the cowboys this year. I feel worse from WATCHING them play this year then I did in any of the last 3 seasons of semi-pro ball where I was actually PLAYING.

I'm just extremely emotionally drained. I didn't even get upset at the botched snap. I had nothing left. And quite frankly, it didn't even surprise me. I figured we'd find a way to give the game away at that point.

The problem isn't Parcells. You people crying about him need to jump in a cactus pit, naked and with lemon juice all over you. Seriously.

The biggest problems IMO (in no particular order):

1. Dropped passes from our #1 WR. Great players make the great plays, and a minimum amount of bad plays. TO was not great this season.

2. Inexperience at QB. The 3 years on the bench helped him to prepare for the NFL, but he isn't fully developed. It's sort of like teaching your kid to ride a bike with training wheels for 3 months before you take them off and let him go. Yes he no longer needs the training wheels, but it doesn't mean he'll be entering any "extreme" sport deals any time soon.

3. OL. Way too inconsistent. If you'd told me the seahawks would stop MBIII in short yardage situations twice, I'd of laughed at you. It wasn't his fault, no hole and the OL actually got pushed BACKWARDS. Do those losers even push the sled anymore?

4. Untimely penalties and/or turnovers. Witten's fumble was huge yesterday. You can't be a "Big time" player and make stupid careless plays like that in a PLAYOFF game. Same goes for the drops (Glenn and TO).

5. Zimmer. Nuff said. No doubt in my mind our D has the talent to be top 3 (and I"m not taking about the useless yards per game ranking. I'm talking about dominance, and yards per game don't measure dominance, necessarily).

Defensively I think we have the players in place - although Steven Jackson for JuJo and Spears is heavily NOT in our favor at the moment. DL is fine. Could be better, w/o Zimmer. LBs are ok, although I'd like to replace James with someone that has a decent amount of lateral movement and can also get down the middle of the freakin' field when we call cover 2. CBs are fine, and FS is our only weakness and I think with a good DCoord, Watkins would be fine.

We need to focus on OL in FA or the draft. We need to throw the kitchen sink at that area in the draft. Hope like hell one of them (or more) turns into something decent.

I don't look forward to the offseason. Washington is proof that it's worthless to get excited about it.

I liken Zimmer's style to that of trying to hold water in your hand. You have to kind of just hold your hand stiff and not move, and if you get to aggressive and squeeze your hand, the water spills out. We need a DCoord that puts the water in a pot and boils it till it's completely evaporated.

I sometimes wish I could quit loving the cowboys, but they've been a big part of my life. I've been watching them since I was 10 years old. Saw Staubach, Dorsett, White, White, Walker Pelluer Aikman etc etc. I feel numb right now. I think Romo gave everyone a lot of hope and got everyone believing we could do something this year. But when the Defense went eventually so did Romo.

Losing 4 out of the last 5 games including a heartbreaker playoff game is very hard on a fan for any team, but especially a cowboys fan. I woke up this morning and decided I really have to concentrate on other areas in my life right now (well really have no choice about that). With time this loss will go away and then we can start thinking about the draft FA etc.

I never like to criticize other people and the jobs they do, but our personnel on defense should be doing a lot more. Our defensive system isnt getting what it can from these players. Parcells may not have the fire that he had in his youth as well. It just happens.

goshan

Reaction score
Yes I am drained but I was devastated when Tony dropped the snap.

The Seattle game is frustrating because if our O gets going like it has most of the last 6-8 weeks we beat them by 10 points.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rack;1296544 said:
:bow:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I'm ok with it. I'm of the belief that the slow methodical approach to building this team is better than the way we have tried in years. Quick fix is nice for a season or two. Our approach is better for the long haul.
We are cap safe, we have a ton of young talent, we are on the rise.
We are one point away from where I thought we would be. I had little hope of winning next week. I'm in the minority but I hope we stay the course and next year I will expect more.
I think a change now would hurt more than help.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
No Rack, you're not alone at all. When it was over last night I remember being discouraged and somehow relieved at the same time. The roller coaster ride is fun, but it can wear you out. I hate that I got my hopes so as to predict we'd run the table, see the talent for that to happen, and leave games on the field like we did. It's beyond discouraging.

There are solvable situations with this team. I truly believe that. I also believe the players were in place for much better results than this. From the time the Saints came marching it we were on a one way trip to discouragement.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worn out? Yes. Just the TO drama starting in training camp with him on the bike through the rest of the season wore me out. Throw in Bledslow, the meltdown of the D and last night and I'm ready for a vacation.

superpunk

Reaction score
Absolutely I'm worn out. Never have I seen such an eventful, up and down season.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A couple of seasons ago we had a season where every game seemed close and a heart attack waiting to happen.

This one was the same, but with a case of indigestion to go with it.

Not to mention my therapy bill for the tourettes condition I thought I contracted.

DipChit

Reaction score
I'm not really worn out over the season as a whole.. partly just cause I'm a day to day "liver" so to speak.

I am having trouble getting over this loss though.. not even the finality of it all..b eing no next week.. just the way the game ended. For me it was the same as the Washington game.

Those are the kind of losses that cause me to lose sleep. The others dont. But in these cases I find myself re-living just a play or 2 over and over.. I guess hoping I can will them to be different.

notherbob

Reaction score
This loss did not hurt me because I had expected it. What I did not expect was a win and was pleasantly surprised the the Boys were in a position to win. I was not devastated by Romo's gaffe - I expected something would happen to this recently snakebit team, I just didn't know what it would be so it didn't surprise me when it happened.

This is the most disjointed and inconsistant group of players I have ever seen and they clearly are not a team yet. Maybe this loss will be the thing that brings them together. Sitting on pins and needles about whether BP will be back can't be good for them.

Life is good and it goes on and it will be yet another very interesting off-season.

Will BP be back?

Will Zimmer and the other 4 coaches whose contracts are expiring be back?

Will TO be back?

What FAs will they pick up in the off-season?

Who will they draft?

Will Quincy return to this team in triumph and lead it to greatness? :lmao2:

What kind of nefarious plots will Jerry and his evil twin, Jethro, hatch out to keep them and TO in the limelight?

The way the season ended was pretty characteristic of the way it went and it's time to pick up the pieces and start looking for the superglue.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nope, im not warn out. When we were about to kick the field goal to go up, I was really looking forward to us moving on in the Tournament.

What does have me warn out is that Parcells, T.O. and Zimmer will probably be back and we will see more Read-React Defenses, Late season meltdowns and swift exits in the 1st round.

I dont think the above is overreaction, all I have to go by is history with Parcells and the Cowboys and history says that is what is going to happen :cool: .

Time to shift focus to the Mavericks.

- Mike G.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I am completely and utterly drained. I have only felt this bad twice.

Once was in 94 after the loss in sf.
the other time was in 1985, I was 9 years old and watched every yankee game, as I always did right until I moved. Anyway ernie whitt won a game in toronto's old stadium, sending the yankees home and the blue jays to the playoffs. I think ny was down 1.5 games starting the final three games of the year in toronto. In game 2 ernie whitt won the game with a homer, ending the yankees season.

It crushed a 9 year old little leaguer who loved mattingly and the yankees.

This morning, after hardly sleeping a wink, this 30 year old is crushed after a such a difficult loss. Its hard to take.

To lose to a team with such injury problems is just unheard of to me.

I am still numb. It is going to be a long time between now and free agency, the draft, mini-camp, preseason...

At the end of the day though I love this team. I have my season tickets for next season, I will be at training camp for a week in san antonio with my 2 year old son, I will be going to the road game in buffalo.

We have our quarterback and a kicker. Two big mysteries to this franchise for years. We are just a few players away.

Hopefully if we have a new head coach it will be someone positive that uplifts the team, if parcells stays that is fine with me.

I am numb. Probably going to have that feeling for about 6 months.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I am worn out,took a deep breath this morning and said "wow". The biggest reason I feel this way:

The coaching staff and their play-calling/schemes

The exposure of the secondary,primarily the poor coverage by Williams,man he takes poor angles,no wonder he horse collars

the fact that our LB's cant cover their own shadow

another year without a good pass rush,other then Ware

the up and down play of the o-line

the Owens circus and his drops

the inability to maintain a good running attack over a 16 game season

and the lack of intensity/pride on this team

as spags said, they are " a bunch of Boy scouts"

so to me their are alot of uncertain things right now,and I guess time will tell how they plan to fix this mess.

notherbob

Reaction score
From what I read in another post, JJ wants both BP and TO back next year.

If you look in the encyclopedia under "A fool and his money are soon parted", you will find 2 pictures or JJ, one before and the other after the facelift. TO is one of the many players rolling on the floor laughing in the background, along with Galloway, QC, Hutch, Henson, and too many failed draft choices and FAs to name.

Now he says he wants TO back for next season and that'll cost another 8 mil (instead of paying it to some other player/s who could improve the team.)

Ever since Jimma's teams went away, Jerry's trophy case is as bare as the Eagles' trophy case that is a glass monument to the emptiness of space.

Personally, I would have preferred a couple more 5 million dollar linemen than one 10 million dollar TO, or maybe a real free safety, fool that I am.

Oh well, at least we will have an interesting off-season.