Amari Cooper was overrated here. Look at the numbers

MajesticRey

Reaction score
well looks like wilson may not be here lol, and gallup, there is no way for him to be back at his previous level by Sept.

I said the same about dak last year, that he could not be as good and the season would wear him out, and it did.
That was one reason for the calf injury, and the ensuing slump.

Being able to play and being in football shape are 2 different things.
Did Wilson sign somewhere else??

birdwells1

Reaction score
To put it into perspective since 2018 Amari has 19 broken tackles compared to Deebo with 37 in just 3 seasons. Ja’Marr had 11 just this year. here is the real kicker though. Amari only had 235 yac this season which is abysmal for any #1 WR.

To put it into even more perspective Ceedee had 445yac and broke 12 tackles this season. Amari is never going to be a break tackle guy and needs time for his routes to develop. With defenses stopping out running game in base pass defenses he struggled to get open.
These are the lies the Joneses want people to believe. They purposely diminished his targets this year to make it more palatable to release him. He had more targets and catches last year with backups.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
These are the lies the Joneses want people to believe. They purposely diminished his targets this year to make it more palatable to release him. He had more targets and catches last year with backups.
Or is Cooper responsible for his lack of production?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Stopped reading after the first paragraph, nothing but drivel. You sound like a typical casual fan. lol Wasted enough time with you.
as usual DITTO

59433710.jpg

birdwells1

Reaction score
Or is Cooper responsible for his lack of production?
Naw, if he had the same targets as last year then I would be on board with you. Cooper averaged 6.9 targets per game and that puts him tied for 42nd in the league. Who pays a number one 20 mill and targets him as little as the Cowboys did?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Naw, if he had the same targets as last year then I would be on board with you. Cooper averaged 6.9 targets per game and that puts him tied for 42nd in the league. Who pays a number one 20 mill and targets him as little as the Cowboys did?
Maybe he should show up. Lamb averaged more.

ondaedg

Reaction score

If you look at enough data you can paint a good picture of what happened. Amari averaged 2.5yds of separation which is almost last for receivers with 800+ yds. He is not a Tee Higgins type of player who can outmuscle a DB for the ball so he needs to have more space. Kupp and Tyreke averaged 3.6 yds of separation. If you're not open the QB isn't going to throw it to you it's that simple. Now whether that is Amari's fault or Kellen Moore's is the question.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Amari was brought in in 2018 to, among other reasons, get us to the playoffs. It happened twice in 4 seasons

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
who knows if he's overrated? we don't have a good enough QB to get him the ball.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the jones boys do!! lol
the reason I think is they drafted their darling lamb, and jerry wants kellen to target him alot, so that means amari's targets go down.

The thing is they had just paid amari the big deal, and he was the # 1, then they stupidly drafted lamb in 1st round, and jerry likes lamb way more than amari before he ever played a down!!
Gave him the # 88 and poured anointing oil all over him!

So those 2 things are counter productive .
The cowboys should have picked a big nose tackle or left guard, tackle or another position instead of lamb.

jnday

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A HATE AMARI COOPER THREAD. I like Cooper. But I also think it was a smart move for the Cowboys, both for obvious cap reasons and the fact that he was overrated here.

Now that I have that out of the way, let us count the reasons why Cooper’s release could be a good thing:
  • Amari Cooper is a very good receiver. He’s an excellent route runner. BUT- he is not a great 3rd down receiver (when you need a 3rd down conversion)
    • In 2021, Cooper was 26th in the league in 3rd down receptions for a first down. For $20 mil a season, that’s not great. (Btw- Cedee Lamb was 16th)
  • He’s not as much of a big play guy as he used to be- In YAC yardage, Cooper was way below avg- GET THIS- Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard all had better YAC numbers than Coop in 2021.
    • Cooper has never been that great in YAC numbers in his career. He’s really more of a possession receiver which makes both his price tag and his lack of big 3rd down plays a problem.
    • His last two seasons, he’s only averaging about 12 yards per reception. Again, more of a possession receiver than a big play receiver.
  • He has tended to disappear in the bigger games when your big play receiver is MOST needed. Not all big games. He did have some big games. But not enough to make him a star. Here are some examples:
    • In both playoff losses Cooper played in, (2018, 2021) he averaged less than 70 yards per game.
    • In 2019’s most critical game that decided the NFC East vs Filly, Cooper had 4 receptions for 24 yds and famously stood on the sidelines in the last drive.
    • Another critical game in 2019, vs NE on the road, Coop got shut out with zero catches. (Randall Cobb and Gallup had 86 and 55 yds that day)
    • In that terrible loss against Arizona last year that cost us the #2 seed, Coop had 3 catches for 18 yds, despite 8 targets and two drops.
I’m not here to bash Amari Cooper. He’s a very good receiver. But Cowboys fans, let’s be honest. Is he a top 20 receiver in this league? NO. Not in receptions, YAC, 3rd down conversions…etc, etc. We cannot pay a WR $20 mil a season with that kind of return.

Will we miss Cooper? Maybe some. But the cap savings could provide more help at other positions without losing much on offense.

In my book letting him go is the right move.
Cooper can’t throw the ball to himself. He was open a lot, but Dak could not or would not throw the ball to him. A good QB that could spot open WRs would have made a huge difference in his stats. Dak’s play will return to the level that he was playing at before Cooper came along. I remember how some fans said that the offense would be unstoppable with the WRs that Dallas has on the roster. It was easily stopped by a QB that can’t read defenses and see open WRs.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Crazy how these 3rd string players have one “decent” season and expect to be paid top dollar.

Laurent Robinson, anyone? Look how that turned out.

Ya I feel the same way. Wilson doesn't have one of those intangibles that you like to see before you get your checkbook out. He made some clutch plays though.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Someone called Cooper a possession WR. Arlington Jonesboys fans say we need a WR that can go dep and stretch the defense.

What was his time in the 40 at the combine?

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Its criminal that they cannot find money for Wilson...the reason he gets thrown the ball so much is that the dude is an AWESOME route runner....something that Duk Pratfall needs!!!

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Ya I feel the same way. Wilson doesn't have one of those intangibles that you like to see before you get your checkbook out. He made some clutch plays though.
Agreed. He’s a good depth guy, that’s it. Far from #1 material.

Ken

Reaction score
My take on Cooper is he is at best a top 25 receiver, which is very good. But the Cowboys needed him to be bigger based on what they were paying and counting on for production. His lack of YAC is what makes him far less valuable. I was shocked to see that Dalton Schultz and Cedric Wilson had more YAC than he did.

He’s a top 5 best route runner in the league but we’ve been paying him like he’s a star and he’s just not THAT kind of receiver. He was at times the best receiver here, but when you look around the league at so called #1’s, he simply doesn’t stack up.
Agree with this about his ranking and productivity.

However, his technical route running, especially this year, left a lot to be desired. His creativity to get open is probably the best in the league. His actual precision in running the route tree is pedestrian due to his "freelance" propensity to creatively get open.

JMO.

Ken

Reaction score
Cooper had his best year under Dak. You Dak bashers are so stupid.
Exactly and they don't put their ridiculous statements through a logic test either. How was Ceedee more productive and able to make a pro bowl with the same QB?????

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Exactly and they don't put their ridiculous statements through a logic test either. How was Ceedee more productive and able to make a pro bowl with the same QB?????
How about a 3rd rounder from Colorado St being a 1000 yard receiver?