Amari Cooper was overrated here. Look at the numbers

ondaedg

Reaction score
Cooper can’t throw the ball to himself. He was open a lot, but Dak could not or would not throw the ball to him. A good QB that could spot open WRs would have made a huge difference in his stats. Dak’s play will return to the level that he was playing at before Cooper came along. I remember how some fans said that the offense would be unstoppable with the WRs that Dallas has on the roster. It was easily stopped by a QB that can’t read defenses and see open WRs.

Amari was among the worst at yac, brtkl , and separation. And he was getting the most attention from DCs. Did Dak miss him a few times? Absolutely. Did Brady miss Randy Moss a few times? Absolutely and Randy would be waving his hand up in the air every time he got past the DBs. The point is it happens no matter who the qb is.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Great point.

Or a 4th wr having 600 yards recieving and having almost twice the amount of YAC as our "#1".

:)
Yeah Wilson is going to get a nice contract but I guess Dak ruins wideouts.

Reactions: Ken

eromeopolk

Reaction score
His numbers make it crystal clear. I still can’t believe he had less YAC last year than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard. He avg a little over 12 yds per reception the last two seasons. That’s possession receiver numbers not star #1 receiver numbers.

He’s a great route runner which makes him very valuable. But he’s not a big play threat every down like about 20 other receivers in this league. This team needs more than he can give.

Again, Coop is a very good receiver. At this point in his career, I see him as a really good possession receiver. Not a $20 mil a year star like he was being counted on to be.
Bob, say it wasn't you. Called Amari Cooper a possession WR. This post was for you...
Someone called Cooper a possession WR. Arlington Jonesboys fans say we need a WR that can go deep and stretch the defense.

What was his time in the 40 at the combine?

He is a possession WR...he possesses a CB as..derriere.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Crazy how these 3rd string players have one “decent” season and expect to be paid top dollar.

Laurent Robinson, anyone? Look how that turned out.
well he wound up getting a bad concussion, then came back too soon and had another, then another, so I think he had to quit football.
He should have stayed with dallas. maybe he doesnt take that bad hit.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob, say it wasn't you. Called Amari Cooper a possession WR. This post was for you...

He is a possession WR...he possesses a CB as..derriere.
Hate to say it brother…but all the indicators are, Coop has become a possession receiver. (He wasn’t 3 yrs ago but he is now) For example:
  • Had less YAC yds than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson, Tony Pollard and even Zeke! He was not even in the top 30 in WR YAC yds last year.
  • For the second year in a row, avg about 12 yds per reception, much lower than in 2016-2019 when he was at his peak.
  • In his last 9 games of 2021, he avg only 57 yds per game despite having 7 targets per game.
It’s not that I think Cooper sucks. He’s a really good receiver. He’s just not a top 20-25 receiver in this league anymore. He’s good. But not $20 mil a year good.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Check down dak didn't feed him, simple as that! Dak isn’t designed to throw to a receiver like Armani.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check down dak didn't feed him, simple as that! Dak isn’t designed to throw to a receiver like Armani.
That’s not true. Cooper had 105 targets last year, second only to Lamb who had 121. That’s averaging 7 targets per game in 15 games and 65 receptions. I agree that he wasn’t thrown to enough but Cooper’s not the same receiver he was 3 years ago. He wasn’t getting open as often.

Obviously some of this is Dak’s fault too, but people thinking Coop is the same receiver he was in 2018 just aren’t paying attention to all the numbers and other indicators.