Amari really likes to play in Dallas

ghst187

Reaction score
Interesting stats that may tell a story....
His production at home is almost double what it is on the road.
Personally, I theorize that being the route technician he is, he gets his cuts better on the carpet which is where he gets his separation. Or.... he just hates playing outdoors on grass.

Here’s the data...
I don’t ascribe to the charge that he “ disappears in big games”.... as philly is always a huge game and he’s put up video game numbers against them on a few occasions. Maybe it’s a home v away thing?

A cursory look at his time in Oakland....he didn’t play many games indoors but tended to play well on carpet and esp against division rivals... maybe familiarity...which he played extraordinarily well for the most part against our divisional rivals also....
Thoughts?

Home

2018: 58, 180, 20, 106,

2019: 106, 88, 226, 106, 147, 85, 19, 92

=102.75 average

Away

2018: 75, 36, 76, 217, 32, 31, 65

2019: 44, 48, 3, 80, 38, 0, 83, 24

=56.8 average

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I theorize that being the route technician he is, he gets his cuts better on the carpet which is where he gets his separation. Or.... he just hates playing outdoors on grass.

Here’s the data...
I don’t ascribe to the charge that he “ disappears in big games”.... as philly is always a huge game and he’s put up video game numbers against them on a few occasions. Maybe it’s a home v away thing?

A cursory look at his time in Oakland....he didn’t play many games indoors but tended to play well on carpet and esp against division rivals... maybe familiarity...which he played extraordinarily well for the most part against our divisional rivals also....
Thoughts?

Home

=102.75 average

Away

=56.8 average

I've looked at Cooper's up-and-down numbers and I've found it hard to pinpoint the exact reasons for the huge swings. I don't think you can simply says "he struggles against good corners". I also don't think you can just chalk it up to "home or away". And I don't think it's simply a "grass vs turf" thing.

In this case, I'm hopeful that better offensive minds and coaching will figure out a way to get him to be more productive on a more consistent basis.

John813

Reaction score
I've looked at Cooper's up-and-down numbers and I've found it hard to pinpoint the exact reasons for the huge swings. I don't think you can simply says "he struggles against good corners". I also don't think you can just chalk it up to "home or away". And I don't think it's simply a "grass vs turf" thing.

In this case, I'm hopeful that better offensive minds and coaching will figure out a way to get him to be more productive on a more consistent basis.

It's interesting though. In 2018 Xavien Howard effectively shut him out in Miami and on Howards first INT Cooper gave up on the route(quite long but non the less). But last year in Dallas, Cooper broke Howards ankles repeatedly.

Was in frustration in Oakland for that one game? Possibly. Or is it some mental block he goes through during a game and maybe checks out?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's interesting though. In 2018 Xavien Howard effectively shut him out in Miami and on Howards first INT Cooper gave up on the route(quite long but non the less). But last year in Dallas, Cooper broke Howards ankles repeatedly.

Was in frustration in Oakland for that one game? Possibly. Or is it some mental block he goes through during a game and maybe checks out?

It's so hard to figure out.
:banghead:

RS12

Reaction score
Welp the home game this year against the Egirls and Darrius Slay should be very interesting.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
I guess I must be wrong but it seemed like coop had a nagging injury last season. I know at least two of those games he didn’t play most of the game because of it. My honest best guess is the injury flared up a lot more then we know and that greatly affected his play in those games.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Here’s the data...

Thoughts?

Home

=102.75 average

Away

=56.8 average

Thanks for putting in this work. However, your numbers may widen even MORE when you put the 76 (Saints) and 217 you have for away in the home column - that was the Philly 3TD game.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Here’s the data...

Thoughts?

Home

=102.75 average

Away

=56.8 average

Thanks for putting in this work. However, your numbers may widen even MORE when you put the 217 you have for away in the home column - that was the Philly 3TD game.

817Gill

Reaction score
This ties directly to playcallling.
Gotta think that a cerebral guy like Amari gets frustrated with things like that. That’s one of the constants IMO.

Amari has talked about how he likes to see the game in a cerebral way. He loves chess and his rubix cube, he’s not the typical alpha male physical oriented athlete; hence his demeanor and interviews. He’s spoken about how important it is to him that his QB takes his suggestions into consideration as he feels he has a good idea of what’s happening out there. He spoke about this directly in 2018 about that play in Philly with Dak when the play was a comeback and he pleaded with Dak to throw the 9, resulting in a tub.

In Oakland there were times when we fell out of favor with Carr due to drops, and Carr started having second thoughts about throwing his way. I also heard grumbling about his role vs Crabtree’s as he was a top 5 pick and better player, never really got treated as such in the gameplan with a Defensive HC.

Here there are well documented instances of repetitive route combos, discretionless pass vs run spreads, and even his supposed beef with Sanjay Lal. Coop seems like an overwhelmingly mental guy, so if he sees a bunch of external issues, seems to me he kinda gets frustrated and shuts it down a bit. With smart coaching and gameplanning, I think you see a more consistent Coop.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Players should just be honest and stop all this BS about i care for this team, or that team it is about who pays you more period

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I agree 100%. Because if he struggles against good corners a real coach would scheme for him to get open. I'm know stats says he probably struggles against corners and in road games but the coach suffered in those games too as did the whole team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agreed on all this. There is also the belief that he was banged up a lot last year, which would explain why he spent as much time on the sideline as he did, but I don't recall ever hearing much from the team or Amari about it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Gotta think that a cerebral guy like Amari gets frustrated with things like that. That’s one of the constants IMO.

Amari has talked about how he likes to see the game in a cerebral way. He loves chess and his rubix cube, he’s not the typical alpha male physical oriented athlete; hence his demeanor and interviews. He’s spoken about how important it is to him that his QB takes his suggestions into consideration as he feels he has a good idea of what’s happening out there. He spoke about this directly in 2018 about that play in Philly with Dak when the play was a comeback and he pleaded with Dak to throw the 9, resulting in a tub.

In Oakland there were times when we fell out of favor with Carr due to drops, and Carr started having second thoughts about throwing his way. I also heard grumbling about his role vs Crabtree’s as he was a top 5 pick and better player, never really got treated as such in the gameplan with a Defensive HC.

Here there are well documented instances of repetitive route combos, discretionless pass vs run spreads, and even his supposed beef with Sanjay Lal. Coop seems like an overwhelmingly mental guy, so if he sees a bunch of external issues, seems to me he kinda gets frustrated and shuts it down a bit. With smart coaching and gameplanning, I think you see a more consistent Coop.
Good post, agreed with most of it.

I'd be critical of him checking out if he disagrees with what they're doing, but I think that's almost a certainty.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed on all this. There is also the belief that he was banged up a lot last year, which would explain why he spent as much time on the sideline as he did, but I don't recall ever hearing much from the team or Amari about it.

More of that 'public information' we get so little of. Which leads us to more of our speculation like we have here.

:thumbup:

I looked at his numbers last year, and I saw a correlation between his numbers being lower in some cases because the team didn't need to throw to him as often (reduced targets). And there were some outliers like @Philly where he just played poorly, no excuses.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Except the Commanders paid more lol.
https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/products/T210A22PA3176PT17X13Y37D3495712FS4800/views/1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=22,backgroundColor=bebebe/offseason-champs-washington-Commanders.jpg

Nav22

Reaction score
The way Cooper has gotten trashed this offseason is a big reason why some guys are reluctant to play hurt.

He was hurt for most of the year but played through it like a warrior. Maybe part of that was because he was seeking the huge contract that he ended up getting, but he should still be commended for laying it all on the line physically.