Amazon's Prime Video Gets Exclusive NFL Playoff Game Next Season

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read that Peacock paid 110 million for that one game, and Amazon is paying even more.

Seems there's a push to make TV go bye bye and everything be subscription based. WWE is putting Raw on Netflix starting next year.
Amazon actually turned down the game last year, and Peacock came in and made the offer.
Amazon said they learned from that mistake and will do it for this year.
I am sure Peacock will get another one. I can't remember but they said they got millions of new subscribers from it. But now, will they announce how many have cancelled since.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Well guess it's a pro to being a Cowboy fan, automatically exempt from things impacting the playoffs.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The superbowl will be pay per view by the next one lol
They probably make too much money from commercials but if they ever could make 1 more dollar from streaming the Super Bowl than TV they'd probably sell out.

One day we'll probably get a combination of you have to have a subscription oh but here's some commercials anyway because screw you. They may already do that I don't know I don't use subscriptions for anything. I did for Xbox once.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The article stated Peacock had 23 million viewers. I’m curious how many viewers there were for the playoff games on Network TV?

pancakeman

Reaction score
They probably make too much money from commercials but if they ever could make 1 more dollar from streaming the Super Bowl than TV they'd probably sell out.

One day we'll probably get a combination of you have to have a subscription oh but here's some commercials anyway because screw you. They may already do that I don't know I don't use subscriptions for anything. I did for Xbox once.
Oh yes that day arrived a while back.

Creeper

Reaction score
IMO, the NFL is committing suicide. They are like the heroine addict scoring a free hit, they just cannot stop even though the drug is destroying them from the inside out. If they keep putting their TV revenue ahead of the fans they will eventually lose fans - and their TV contracts. It happened to Americas pastime, baseball, and it can happen to the NFL as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct me than

The National Football League has contractual television broadcast rights agreements with Walt Disney ($27 billion [ESPN/ABC] Monday Night Football), FOX ($25 billion/Sunday NFC), Paramount ($23 billion [CBS] Sunday AFC), Comcast ($22 billion [NBC/Peacock] Sunday Night Football), Alphabet ($14 billion [YouTube] Sunday Ticket, and Amazon ($13 billion/Thursday Night Football—totaling over $125 billion—from 2023 through 2032/2033 (link).

Contracts vary in composition, but all can be summarized as follows:
• Offer – a service provided by one party (the NFL allowing their games to be broadcast in this instance)
• Acceptance – the agreement to the terms of the offeree (the networks consenting to the NFL’s specified broadcast packages)
• Consideration – what is considered as value for each party (NFL values billions of dollars and the networks values the audiences secured by each broadcasting package)

A fellow member stated the following condition, based upon the thread’s OP that was quoted with the reply:

This will backfire on them at some point as ratings will start dropping.

The Wall Street Journal thread article informed its readers of the contractual agreement between Amazon and the NFL to broadcast a playoff game.

Per its contract with the league, Amazon shall broadcast an x-number of playoff games, for the seasons specific in the contract, through and until 2033. Before replying, I had the following conclusion and assumption, respectively:

1. No party has ever broken a broadcasting rights contract between the NFL and networks in history
2. It is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that the league’s legal counsel agreed to any stipulation that provided an out for any network according to a variable as unknowingly foreseeable as an increase or decrease in ratings

With the above in consideration, I replied:

It will only backfire if the NFL cannot convince the networks to pony up more money each time their broadcast rights contracts expire.

Why? First, the networks are locked into their contract until either 2032 or 2033 (e.g., Comcast/NBC/Peacock in this instance). Second, a ratings decrease would contractually not ‘backfire’ for either the NFL or any of the networks streaming playoff games until that time. And third, any sustained ratings decrease incurred by any network would become either a contractual renegotiation talking point or refusal for agreeing to the terms of a new contract no sooner than 2033/2034 or later .

Afterwards, you read my original comment and replied:

you think they did all this without talking or planning?

pretty bold of you

Now, you may have an understanding of what I was talking about. While I certainly knew the league and networks’ legal counsels would evaluate and consider all the conceivable ramifications of a streaming playoff game…

In other words, I did comprehend there was extraordinary discussion and preparation between all the parties---just as it is always the case…

Quite frankly, I have no clue what you think you thought I was thinking.

Please. I am guilty of being bold but enlighten me why I said what I said.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Dallas East,

that is a heck of a reply.

I didnt see the second post, but i figured you might have thought that the NFL was trying to get into the streaming game. I had forgotten about the contracts.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
This makes more sense at least. Over 70% of all US adults are Amazon prime members.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Every NFL playoff game will be on a different streaming site soon
There is a proliferation of streaming sites also handling regular season games. Youtube NFL Sunday is a frustrating subpar whittled down football package and the cost is ridiculous. Directv NFL Sunday football package was the most accessible, higher quality, lag free streaming and less market restrictive. You could often negotiate a lower price and sometimes even get it free an entire season if you were a regular customer.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You can get SNF from an antenna l, so I just don't think it's the same thing. I love the NFL and it would have never occurred to me to get Peacock until I was forced to for one game.

And I'm no Goodell fan but he said he will never allow the Super Bowl to be streaming only as long as he's commissioner.
Don't listen to what they say, see what they do.....SB fixing to be a PPV event. Loads of money, maybe even the CCG too. .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I read that Peacock paid 110 million for that one game, and Amazon is paying even more.

Seems there's a push to make TV go bye bye and everything be subscription based. WWE is putting Raw on Netflix starting next year.
they wont do that anytime soon, maybe not for long time.
The free networks cbs,nbc, fox pay the nfl more $ than the streaming pay channels could ever afford to pay.
So those will be around for the next 10-20 years.

I use an old school ant, and get a great picture, and pay nothing.
I am satisfied with that. I can only watch a few games per week.