Amendola/Stanback/Austin

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score

Bizwah

Reaction score
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think any will step up....

Hurd is the most consistent
Austin is the best blend of size and speed
Stanback is the most exciting prospect and has the most potential

I would settle for a combo of these guys putting up numbers similar to what Crayton did a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think any will make us forget about Glenn any time soon.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I'd have to put money on Hurd making the biggest contribution outside of the starters. Despite the promising reports, I think Austin's days are numbered. I think Amendola continues to impress, and either squeaks onto the roster, or is lost after we try to sneak him on to the PS. I'm starting to think that Stanback is going to disappoint a lot of Cowboys fans.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I firmly believe in Hurd. This guy just always seems to get on the field and make plays. I don't care if he runs as slow as a turtle, this kid makes plays.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If think Amendola might just force them to keep six wrs, unless Austin fails to impress.

Woods

Reaction score
Bizwah;2158879 said:
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think any will step up....

Hurd is the most consistent
Austin is the best blend of size and speed
Stanback is the most exciting prospect and has the most potential

I would settle for a combo of these guys putting up numbers similar to what Crayton did a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think any will make us forget about Glenn any time soon.

I have to agree.

None of them will be NEARLY as polished as Glenn.

But out of this group, outside of TO and Crayton, I think that Hurd will be the most consistent.

But IMO, Hurd at this stage is more of a 4th wideout than a 3rd wideout.

I'd love to see Austin really step up, but until he shows more consistency catching the ball, I just don't trust him.

And as for Stanback, he may have the most upside, but he's the least polished, IMO.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I think hurd can do some positive things but not really step up. I have to look at Austin ant think how he fits nicely into the offense with his speed and size. The guy is pretty fast. His hands scare me a lot though. It certainly seems to be a weak spot for a WR. Even through all of that. He is my pick. Got a feeling about him.

And really does he not look like A rod

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Stanback will flash. But the real problem is will they be able to be where Romo thinks they will be when they need to be. Get it?

CoCo

Reaction score
Much as I really wanted a productive Terry Glenn on this team I do not believe that adding another WR is a requirement for this team to win a SB.

Look at previous SB winners and their WR corps. Do we need TO healthy? Probably so. But I don't believe we MUST have a high quality vet alongside him.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Hurd is a nice complimentary WR. I believe he's still very young...23? I think. He's a hard worker....but he really doesn't have any superior qualities (not necessarily fast, big, or a great leaper..has good/not great hands). I think Hurd is a good STs player. He's a guy that you want on your team.

But I just don't see him becoming our number two guy.

Austin sometimes to run faster than he can control....I love to see him return kicks, but it seems that he just goes too fast and can't make moves. If he becomes more comfortable running routes, then his hands will improve. If his hands improve...watch out. He may become the answer.

As it stands now, Hurd's spot on the team is more secure than Austin's due to him being more polished. But Austin's the one that, if he develops, will be the much better player.

Of course, I believe Stanback can be better than both. He was special with the ball in his hands.

CoCo

Reaction score
I have little faith in Hurd as a quality #2. Just don't believe he can consistently get separation. But I hope I'm wrong.

Woods

Reaction score
CoCo;2158923 said:
Much as I really wanted a productive Terry Glenn on this team I do not believe that adding another WR is a requirement for this team to win a SB.

Look at previous SB winners and their WR corps. Do we need TO healthy? Probably so. But I don't believe we MUST have a high quality vet alongside him.

The problem that I have is that an injury to either TO or Witten really hurts our passing game.

Ideally, Crayton makes an excellent 3rd wideout, IMO. Even if we had 2 Crayton's on the roster, I'd be o.k., I'd suppose. But while Hurd and Austin have upside, both are relatively unproven.

It's a big risk we're taking, but it is what it is. We'll just have to make do and hope that one of our young wideouts really steps up.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Didn't the offense do just fine with the same cast of characters last year?

Bizwah

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;2158948 said:
Didn't the offense do just fine with the same cast of characters last year?

Yes....but any injury to TO....like last year's end...and our offense really struggled.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think Austin will be the speed-threat we need to keep Ds honest and off of TO

it will also create a bit more room in the running game

I'm not predicting a big year from him, just him being a consistent threat racking up a nice per catch average, a couple of long TD strikes

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Bizwah;2158951 said:
Yes....but any injury to TO....like last year's end...and our offense really struggled.

I absolutely agree.

Without T.O., we're screwed, but I still think that if we're worrying about our #2 WR on a Top-5 offense, we're in pretty good shape.

That said, Glenn's been basically gone for near a year now, so hopefully, one of the young guys can step up.

JaiRiid

Reaction score
I have heard Mike Jefferson has really improved. Look out for him.

But really, I can see a three way competition between Jefferson, Bradford, and Amendola for a sixth receiver position. And then it depends on if the Cowboys want potential or the most-ready to play guy. They already have Stanback who has a lot of potential, so I will go with the masses and say one of them will have to step up... and it might be for a ST position.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2158956 said:
I think Austin will be the speed-threat we need to keep Ds honest and off of TO

it will also create a bit more room in the running game

I'm not predicting a big year from him, just him being a consistent threat racking up a nice per catch average, a couple of long TD strikes
I like where your head is at. The complete package is always nice. But it stands for any sport and most things in life, speed kills.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
JaiRiid;2158963 said:
I have heard Mike Jefferson has really improved. Look out for him.

But really, I can see a three way competition between Jefferson, Bradford, and Amendola for a sixth receiver position. And then it depends on if the Cowboys want potential or the most-ready to play guy. They already have Stanback who has a lot of potential, so I will go with the masses and say one of them will have to step up... and it might be for a ST position.
I have heard some good things about jefferson as well. Does anybody have more of a break down on the kid?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
If we could get 30-some catches 500-600 yards and 3-4 scores from Austin/Hurd/Stanback, that would be superb.