Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TO
Crayton
Austin
Hurd
Amendiola
Stanback

3-6 can go up or down, only time will tell.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'm in Amendola's corner. That guy has moxie and I think he can contribute this level. Hopefully he shows up in TC and the pre-season. I'm very excited to see him out there mixing it up.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bizwah;2158879 said:
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think any will step up....

Austin is the best blend of size and speed.

There was a article several weeks ago talking about the young wides. And one of the things that Sherman mentioned was how improved Austin was and most impressive, was his attitude about going up to get the ball. Sherm said that Austin believes that know one can beat him to the ball.

We will see, let's hope.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
PhillyCowboysFan;2159240 said:
There was a article several weeks ago talking about the young wides. And one of the things that Sherman mentioned was how improved Austin was and most impressive, was his attitude about going up to get the ball. Sherm said that Austin believes that know one can beat him to the ball.

We will see, let's hope.
Yeah I will hope. I really want him to be aggressive towards the ball. He seemed to lack that more then anything.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Lots of enthusiasm and maybe it's deserved. But I don't see Amendola doing a lot this year. It's odds on we only keep five WRs. You can generally stash undrafted FAs on the PS. Now if he creates a big enough stir in camp and more importantly on film in the preseason he or someone could force a hand. Right now I'd call looking for something from nothing as optimistic thinking. But now's the time for that.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jobberone;2159463 said:
Lots of enthusiasm and maybe it's deserved. But I don't see Amendola doing a lot this year. It's odds on we only keep five WRs. You can generally stash undrafted FAs on the PS. Now if he creates a big enough stir in camp and more importantly on film in the preseason he or someone could force a hand. Right now I'd call looking for something from nothing is optimistic thinking. But nows the time for that.

Normally, I would agree with you, but this kid has done nothing but impress. I'm no pro scout, but he looks like he has a quickness that few wideouts can claim, and he apparently doesn't drop anything. He sounds like the type of guy that you want to keep around.....and the type of guy that doesn't get past other teams if you try to stash him on the PS.

He has a skill set like no other receiver on the roster, while several others are carbon copies of one another. Now, he obviously has to keep impressing the coaches if he's to have a shot at the roster, but he's given no one any reason to think that that isn't exactly what he's going to do.

BTW, two of the reported big plays by him today were against non-rookies. Ball and our new FA, Jones, both fell victim to Amendola today.

ddh33

Reaction score
If all Amendola can do is catch 8 yard passes on 3 and 7, then haven't you hit gold?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I can't help but really like Amendola. I've been really trying to keep my enthusiasm down about him and remind myself that he's just a UDFA rookie... but damn, he's done nothing but get noticed and make plays when called on. I think two of the most important traits a WR can have are great hands (which he appears to have) and quickness out of his breaks (which he has in spades).

I honestly think he's going to sneak on the 53 man roster and really help on special teams and as the season goes on get more snaps on offense.

He is exactly the type of guy coaches love and should be a great lockerroom presence.

I hope they don't try to sneak him on the practice squad because so many teams tried to get him after the draft that I don't see any way he'd make it to the PS.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
TO
Crayton
Hurd
Austin
Stanback
Amendola

I can definitely live with this for one year.....then maybe we will find out just what we have in Hurd, Austin, Stanback, and Amendola and we can plan our WR future accordingly.

The reason I am not so bent out of shape about our WR position is because of Witten. If we didn't have Witten, I would be extremely worried about having only TO as a proven commodity at the WR position.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
tomson75;2159482 said:
Normally, I would agree with you, but this kid has done nothing but impress. I'm no pro scout, but he looks like he has a quickness that few wideouts can claim, and he apparently doesn't drop anything. He sounds like the type of guy that you want to keep around.....and the type of guy that doesn't get past other teams if you try to stash him on the PS.

He has a skill set like no other receiver on the roster, while several others are carbon copies of one another. Now, he obviously has to keep impressing the coaches if he's to have a shot at the roster, but he's given no one any reason to think that that isn't exactly what he's going to do.

BTW, two of the reported big plays by him today were against non-rookies. Ball and our new FA, Jones, both fell victim to Amendola today.

Well, I'll gladly turn in my pessimistic badge about him but these guys have to do a lot more than catch passes without pads on. I really do like to see him doing something and that's better than hearing bad things or the ususal nothing. But he has to learn to read defenses and make hot reads, block downfield, learn terminology, likely two positions, get off the line in the pros, and a lot more. But hey, I'm all for a surprise player and there are often at least one per year from TC. But this team is pretty sewed up. But if there is room then it's at WR.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
jobberone;2159502 said:
But if there is room then it's at WR.

That's exactly what I was thinking... if you're going to come out of nowhere and make this Dallas team... it's probably going to be at WR and nowhere else.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It may very well come down to, do you want Amendola as the sixth wr or Oglesby as the seventh corner(11th DB).

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jobberone;2159502 said:
Well, I'll gladly turn in my pessimistic badge about him but these guys have to do a lot more than catch passes without pads on. I really do like to see him doing something and that's better than hearing bad things or the ususal nothing. But he has to learn to read defenses and make hot reads, block downfield, learn terminology, likely two positions, get off the line in the pros, and a lot more. But hey, I'm all for a surprise player and there are often at least one per year from TC. But this team is pretty sewed up. But if there is room then it's at WR.

Oh, there's no question he's got a lot of work ahead of him, but as far as the opportunities he's been given so far, I'd say he's succeeded admirably. I'm not expecting big things from him right away, just hoping that he can continue to develop his skills and become a slot receiver for us that creates mismatches.

monkey

Reaction score
FWIW: I think the biggest step up will be Amendola to go from being undrafted to a steady slot receiver. Not a number 2 guy, but I could see him being a solid #3 if used well (technically #4 when including Witten).

Hopefully Austin/Hurd/Crayton all step up this year. For sure hopefully Crayton learned from last years playoff performance to motivate him to work hard on the field and shut up off of it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
If Austin can legitimately raise the bar on his play, that would be the best option because Dallas' real problem at WR was they had nobody to stretch the field opposite of Owens. Owens isn't a bad deep threat, but he works at his best when he can get a few short/intermediate catches early in the game to set himself up for the deep ball later on. With Crayton playing opposite of him, he couldn't really stretch the field to open things underneath for Owens. Plus, if we could get Austin to play opposite of Owens, we could then move Crayton to the slot where he's actually quite good. I think Hurd is pretty much a guy that at best has solid hands and knows the patterns and works hard. I'm intrigued by Amendola, but he comes across as a potentially great slot receiver and punt returner. Nice to have, but not exactly what Dallas needs.

YAKUZA