American Cars

Sonny#9

Reaction score
pjtoadie;5090814 said:
What do you guys recommend for a higher mileage used car? I'm talking over 100k and about $2000-$2500 or so.

I have a friend of mine that has an older-than-dirt Lexus with 250K on, that still runs great.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
RastaRocket;5090818 said:
Ya rumble shmumble; they should have better engineering on that car. It's pretty sad the performance they are getting out of a V8, as with most muscle cars.

[youtube]ucr9981B2vQ[/youtube]

[youtube]DaZExdTHHjY[/youtube]

If I want a V8 I'm going European.

I bought my Camaro for $27500 -- new. Show me a car at that price that will out perform it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I used to buy nothing but North American vehicles but I had trouble with my Sebring and the engine died at 127000 km.

I switched to a Honda Pilot this time and it works perfectly.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Sonny#9;5090827 said:
I bought my Camaro for $27500 -- new. Show me a car at that price that will out perform it.

I would buy an STi or an EVO, but your getting good performance for the money. For EVO I would go with EVO 8 over 10. If you want a V8 under 30k you will only find that in American cars.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
dexternjack;5090817 said:
An early 2000's model like Volvo or Volkswagon. Maybe even late 90's. Those seem to run really good after 100k miles and it isn't that expensive to repair them.

The problem with Volvo and VW is the repairs are expensive. I would recommend the standard Japanese car. Something like a Camry, Accord, Civic, etc...

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RastaRocket;5090865 said:
The problem with Volvo and VW is the repairs are expensive. I would recommend the standard Japanese car. Something like a Camry, Accord, Civic, etc...

They are expensive on the newer models, but the old ones are not bad. A lot of the repairs can be done in their own garage, if ya know a little about cars that is.

The standard Japanese car isn't a bad idea either though, but harder to work on if doing it yourself. Another thing with these cars is...they can develop tranny problems around 120-140k, whereas Volvo's and VW's don't start until 160k or so, generally speaking.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Had a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix, bought in 1993 with 40,000 miles on it. Sold it in 2006 with 207,000 miles on it. Probably dead now, but original engine, trans, etc.

rags747

Reaction score
Man that Suby is horrible, u guys actually think that is an attractive car? It looks like an eggplant and has the interior quality of Rubbermaid.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
dexternjack;5090872 said:
They are expensive on the newer models, but the old ones are not bad. A lot of the repairs can be done in their own garage, if ya know a little about cars that is.

The standard Japanese car isn't a bad idea either though, but harder to work on if doing it yourself. Another thing with these cars is...they can develop tranny problems around 120-140k, whereas Volvo's and VW's don't start until 160k or so, generally speaking.

Yeah, that's a good point. But to me it pays to have someone do it for me. If you get a car old enough, if you know the right people..(I.E.) mobile mechanics. I know two in my area. And they are great. But they go to pull-a-part places, get your part and change it, which is what a lot of mechanic work I need done..changing stuff. Other than that..one part here, another small thing here, like a starter and that's the sort of maintenance I can deal with.. I go for reliability and other than those sorts of parts, I really don't spend much time working on my car. I can appreciate that.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
rags747;5090889 said:
Man that Suby is horrible, u guys actually think that is an attractive car? It looks like an eggplant and has the interior quality of Rubbermaid.

Ya I'm not a fan of the hatchback but you don't have to buy it in a hatchback...

Sonny#9

Reaction score
RastaRocket;5090841 said:
I would buy an STi or an EVO, but your getting good performance for the money. For EVO I would go with EVO 8 over 10. If you want a V8 under 30k you will only find that in American cars.

And that's always been the idea behind the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc.: Affordable V8 Performance.

And, really, it's a matter of preference -- I love the look, feel, sound of the American Muscle -- I always have. I have never gotten into the suped-up 4 banger. Others like that "Rally Racer" look: the compact, quick, AWD, big-tail-fin, etc.

To each their own.

rags747

Reaction score
The top of the line STI will set you back 40+k, a nice car that has a nice look to it but there are other choices out there for 40k+.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
rags747;5091006 said:
The top of the line STI will set you back 40+k, a nice car that has a nice look to it but there are other choices out there for 40k+.

If I bought a car like that it would be used. But your right, once you start hitting the 40K+ range I would start looking into a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. I love Mercedes.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
RastaRocket;5091048 said:
If I bought a car like that it would be used.

Just make sure it is 2011+ because they fixed the steering

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Need some rotary love in here

20B 3 Rotor RX-7 FD

[YOUTUBE]E3u6syg_Wds[/YOUTUBE]

20b 3 Rotor RX-8

[YOUTUBE]E2ung98buGc[/YOUTUBE]

Mazda 787b 4 Rotor. Engine was banned after winning LeMans.

[YOUTUBE]6NckAj8YVXw[/YOUTUBE]

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
dexternjack;5090817 said:
An early 2000's model like Volvo or Volkswagon. Maybe even late 90's. Those seem to run really good after 100k miles and it isn't that expensive to repair them.

Thanks! I will have to look for some of those!

Sonny#9;5090819 said:
I have a friend of mine that has an older-than-dirt Lexus with 250K on, that still runs great.

Thanks! Aren't Lexus' really expensive to fix?

RastaRocket;5090865 said:

Thanks! I have a 2011 Accord and love it so I'm always keeping an eye out for Honda and Toyota.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
pjtoadie;5091115 said:
Thanks! I will have to look for some of those!

Thanks! Aren't Lexus' really expensive to fix?

Lexus is the luxury brand for Toyota so I would imagine it is similar to Toyota repairs. I'm not certain but that's my guess.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I own a 2003 Saturn Ion. They don't make Saturns anymore. I bought it because I wanted an American-made fuel-efficient vehicle. I've been happy with my fuel economy, but disappointed in the cheap quality of some of the parts. The lever that releases the hood broke off easily. A crack developed across the part of the steering wheel that holds the air bag. However, by far the most frustrating was its ignition system problem. On cold days it would out of the blue not start. It would slowly turn over and then stop and flash some message to the effect of get the automobile serviced. Then I would have the thing towed in and it would start perfectly for the mechanic. This went on for two years. No mechanic could figure out what was wrong with it. It nearly got me fired from my job because it made me late so many times. I felt like leaving the stupid thing running with the keys in so that it would get stolen and I could replace it with the insurance money. Either that or I could sell it and buy something else. However, I was close to getting it paid off so I hung onto it. I was glad I did that. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I googled the problem. Turns out the '03 and '04 Ions had a factory defect in the ignition system. If it were cold, the cheapy wiring they used would send poor signals causing the anti-theft system to think someone was trying to hotwire it. It would then lock you out and there was NOTHING you could do to start it for 10 or 15 minutes. The internet sites advised me to take the Ion back to the Saturn dealer for repair. The stupid thing SHOULD have been recalled, but that didn't happen. Anyway, since I finally got that fixed, I've liked the car a lot more. I've kept it well maintained and it only has 86K miles on it, so I'm going to keep it a while longer.

The moral: If your car has an inexplicable problem, Google it! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I guess I'm so used to turning to mechanics to solve problems.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
viman96;5091075 said:
Need some rotary love in here

Mazda 787b 4 Rotor. Engine was banned after winning LeMans.

[YOUTUBE]6NckAj8YVXw[/YOUTUBE]

I love the 787b!