American Cars

Sonny#9

Reaction score
RastaRocket;5091158 said:
Lexus is the luxury brand for Toyota so I would imagine it is similar to Toyota repairs. I'm not certain but that's my guess.

My friend who owns it is basically a non-pot-smoking Jeff Spicoli (although he is in grad school). He cannot afford to fix anything...at all.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
RastaRocket;5091158 said:
Lexus is the luxury brand for Toyota so I would imagine it is similar to Toyota repairs. I'm not certain but that's my guess.

Ahh yeah good point!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5089981 said:
Just a note on diesel trucks. Diesel is way overrated unless its something you need for towing a lot of weight. With today's diesels' and the cost involved its not a good way to go unless its a necessity.

Diesel used to be good because of long term reliability with very little maintenance. You used to go 300K-500k miles using cheaper fuel than gas motors. That has changed.

Diesel trucks now have all kinds of issues with the injectors. And its not uncommon to destroy an engine due to injector failure. I know, becasue I had to do a new engine and injectors with my Cummins. The design flaw w/o any safeguards is huge. And it can happen simply from fuel contamination. So you end up with $2-3K for injectors, anywhere from $4-9K for an engine, and then labor on top of that. The risk of failure is ever present.

Fords with the PowerJoke are notoriously bad for injector issues. Its an issue with the Dodge and Cummins motors as well. The Duramax has basically the same Bosch injector used in the Dodge/Cummins. An upgraded fuel filtration/water separation system is the only safeguard that is known to help.

Also, the new EPA regulations that have taken the sulfur out of the fuel means the necessary fuel lubrication for injector health/life is now gone.

Diesel now costs more than premium gas.

So what used to be a really good, cost effective, longevity way to go isnt what it used to be.

I will tell you what I am excited to see Dodge put together the 6 cyclinder Clean Diesel. I believe that is going to be what sets the american car industry apart from everyone else. They will be using those 30mpg Clean Diesel 6 cyclinders in SUV/Trucks and you get great Foot Pounds per Torque and decent HP. Perfect for the family who has a boat or an RV and this is the future IMO. I love what the american car makers are doing Chevy's car line looks great as does Ford and Dodge very cool IMO.