American Idol season 11

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tupperware;4393661 said:
Singing in a competition might not be mindless garbage. American Idol however, is mindless garbage.
What makes watching people sing in a singing competition mindless garbage? Is it the fact that it takes no talent ones self to enjoy it? That couldn't be it. Is it that all television is mindless garbage? That can't be it either -- or if it is, it's a terrible argument.

I'm curious if there's actually some logic behind the statement, because it's not apparent on its face.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
theogt;4393677 said:
What makes watching people sing in a singing competition mindless garbage? Is it the fact that it takes no talent ones self to enjoy it? That couldn't be it. Is it that all television is mindless garbage? That can't be it either -- or if it is, it's a terrible argument.

I'm curious if there's actually some logic behind the statement, because it's not apparent on its face.

It's simply my opinion. I understand that it is a minority one. I simply put no value to singing or music for that matter. Everyone I have observed talking about it have demonstrated themselves in the past to be near witless morons. People who can't answer even the most simple question about what should be common knowledge, can spout off endlessly about this trash.

I have no use for them or it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;4393688 said:
It's simply my opinion. I understand that it is a minority one. I simply put no value to singing or music for that matter. Everyone I have observed talking about it have demonstrated themselves in the past to be near witless morons. People who can't answer even the most simple question about what should be common knowledge, can spout off endlessly about this trash.

I have no use for them or it.
If your opinion is that enjoying music or singing is in itself mindless, I think we've discovered the problem here -- your opinion is simply wrong.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
theogt;4393677 said:

My opinion is a little different than that of Cliffs. American Idol is the kind of show that requires ratings to do well and come back each and every year. I generally don't watch much TV anyway and have a special kind of hatred for shows like American Idol. Each and every year, they've got to do things just a little bit differently to keep your attention. I can't be bothered with shows that play up to the crowd for ratings. First of all, the show is scripted. You'd have to be completely stupid to not realize that. It tries to pass itself off as not being scripted when it is.

It's just not a pure show. For me, personally, that makes it mindless garbage.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kristie;4393613 said:
i'm sorry, but when i see someone like her wearing the kind of outfit she was, all i can do is roll my eyes. BTW, i'm not a hater. i was hoping that she had a good voice.

She had a voice?

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
theogt;4394195 said:
If your opinion is that enjoying music or singing is in itself mindless, I think we've discovered the problem here -- your opinion is simply wrong.

In your opinion. Which is of little value to me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;4394601 said:
In your opinion. Which is of little value to me.
Sorry, it's not an opinion. It's a verifiable fact. Not to mention that yours wasn't an opinion either, but an incorrect statement of fact.

I don't doubt that you place little value on being correct or incorrect -- it shows.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tupperware;4394225 said:
My opinion is a little different than that of Cliffs. American Idol is the kind of show that requires ratings to do well and come back each and every year. I generally don't watch much TV anyway and have a special kind of hatred for shows like American Idol. Each and every year, they've got to do things just a little bit differently to keep your attention. I can't be bothered with shows that play up to the crowd for ratings. First of all, the show is scripted. You'd have to be completely stupid to not realize that. It tries to pass itself off as not being scripted when it is.

It's just not a pure show. For me, personally, that makes it mindless garbage.
Your problem with the show is that they update the show in order to keep the interest of viewers? Is that really what you meant to say? I don't think it is.

Also, the show is produced, but not necessarily scripted. There is a clear distinction between the two terms, and the distinction does not mean there are not parts that are scripted. Also, all of Shakespeare's plays were scripted. Being scripted does not make it "mindless garbage."

I'm running into a common problem I have when I try to get people to explain their "hatred" for the show -- that being they typically don't have any logical reason for it. What I think is often the case is that people don't actually hate the show -- they just think it makes them appear more discerning or intelligent if they dislike something that is popular. It does not do such a thing -- rather, it only makes them look like a poser or psuedo-intellectual.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
theogt;4394728 said:
Your problem with the show is that they update the show in order to keep the interest of viewers? Is that really what you meant to say? I don't think it is.

Also, the show is produced, but not necessarily scripted. There is a clear distinction between the two terms, and the distinction does not mean there are not parts that are scripted. Also, all of Shakespeare's plays were scripted. Being scripted does not make it "mindless garbage."

I'm running into a common problem I have when I try to get people to explain their "hatred" for the show -- that being they typically don't have any logical reason for it. What I think is often the case is that people don't actually hate the show -- they just think it makes them appear more discerning or intelligent if they dislike something that is popular. It does not do such a thing -- rather, it only makes them look like a poser or psuedo-intellectual.
I like popular bands, so that can't be the case. American Idol isn't some special exception to this, because I dislike other shows for the same reasons. The WWE I dislike for the same reason, though it's obviously scripted and doesn't really try to hide it. I can't get in to the cheesy aspect of it. To me, that kind of thing is mindless garbage. But it's mindless garbage for me. If other people like the show I don't mean to imply they're mindless.

It's just not my kind of show. <- Probably should have said that instead.

Oh and I can think of another reason, the actual music. I can't recall much I've heard that fits my musical tastes really. If you're wondering how I would know, it's because I have to suffer through this when my GF watches it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tupperware;4394766 said:
I like popular bands, so that can't be the case. American Idol isn't some special exception to this, because I dislike other shows for the same reasons. The WWE I dislike for the same reason, though it's obviously scripted and doesn't really try to hide it. I can't get in to the cheesy aspect of it. To me, that kind of thing is mindless garbage. But it's mindless garbage for me. If other people like the show I don't mean to imply they're mindless.

It's just not my kind of show. <- Probably should have said that instead.

Oh and I can think of another reason, the actual music. I can't recall much I've heard that fits my musical tastes really. If you're wondering how I would know, it's because I have to suffer through this when my GF watches it.
I don't think liking certain things that are popular rules out the "faux discerning listener" theory, but that doesn't really matter (I'm not being accusatory). I agree that saying "I don't like the show" would have made more sense than saying it's "mindless garbage" or expressing some sort of hatred for it.

There's some fluff to the show, but the vast majority of what airs is just a pure singing competition. And that in itself is not mindless, nor can I see a valid argument for it being "garbage." As for personal taste, I don't like the cheesy aspects of the show either, but they're not enough to ruin the show for me. And I don't always like the genre's they choose, but I have broad enough tastes that it doesn't generally bother me.

I admit I have to watch the show with my finger on the fast-forward button, though, because there's enough of the show that's vapid, mindless television to warrant the fast-forward button. Also, I never watch the results shows because it is 99.9% mindless fluff.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
theogt;4394722 said:
Sorry, it's not an opinion. It's a verifiable fact. Not to mention that yours wasn't an opinion either, but an incorrect statement of fact.

I don't doubt that you place little value on being correct or incorrect -- it shows.

LOL. :laugh2:

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
theogt;4394911 said:
I don't think liking certain things that are popular rules out the "faux discerning listener" theory, but that doesn't really matter (I'm not being accusatory). I agree that saying "I don't like the show" would have made more sense than saying it's "mindless garbage" or expressing some sort of hatred for it.

There's some fluff to the show, but the vast majority of what airs is just a pure singing competition. And that in itself is not mindless, nor can I see a valid argument for it being "garbage." As for personal taste, I don't like the cheesy aspects of the show either, but they're not enough to ruin the show for me. And I don't always like the genre's they choose, but I have broad enough tastes that it doesn't generally bother me.

I admit I have to watch the show with my finger on the fast-forward button, though, because there's enough of the show that's vapid, mindless television to warrant the fast-forward button. Also, I never watch the results shows because it is 99.9% mindless fluff.
Yeah the singing competition might appeal to me if I liked any of the singers that routinely take the stage and I could also fast forward through all the crap. Unfortunately I just have to suffer through the show when my GF watches it.

kristie

Reaction score
tomorrow's episode takes place in colorodo. denver to be exact. if i see one contestant wearing a tebow jersey, i will scream.

blindzebra

Reaction score
kristie;4395173 said:
tomorrow's episode takes place in colorodo. denver to be exact. if i see one contestant wearing a tebow jersey, i will scream.

Aspen not Denver.

ragman

Reaction score
I don't regularly watch until after the auditions are over. Can't stand the train wrecks.

I think the show has about run its course. The Giants-49ers game drew over a 50 share of the audience, which is great. Fox tried to get ratings for Idol by running an episode after the game, but it only managed a 19 rating. However, it was repeated last night.

kristie

Reaction score
this gal is pretty good & her daughter is super cute too:

[YOUTUBE]GPZuNkukMdc[/YOUTUBE]