An embarrassingly fun win, with reality fast approaching

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don’t agree. The execution isn’t my concern. The risk versus reward is the bigger argument . Did we have more to gain than lose. That’s how you measure the risk factor.

I would rather have a coach that is willing to take risk to win games than a coach that acts like a silly robot that all he does is clap and not do anything for an entire game.

starfan1

Reaction score
If you cant look at a win and be excited then i feel sorry for you but the OP isnt really to far off base here. Yes I get that he doesnt like Dak and he and Pappy could be buddies in the Dak Hate saloon but he brings up valid points. The defense is a cause for concern. The offensive line is a cause for concern. Tank McKinnely going down injured started turning the tide in our favor and allowed the line to settle down some.

Jaylon Smith is awful and matt Ryan was able to watch a movie trailer back there before delivering dimes. Atlanta is no slouch offense they have a boatload of talent but our secondary looked lost and our front 7 that was supposed to be a strength is not. And yes the coach has made some bonehead calls thus far

Dallas has to outscore you to win and Dallas best recipe for success is throwing to get Zeke going not throwing to keep up because the defense is leaking oil. OP like to blame dak for not beating quality teams and i get that he's the QB and he's an easy target because of his past but he's a quality QB.

Yes reality could very well set in this week. I also remember a time when we were scheduled to go into Seattle and no one gave us a prayer and we came out with the W so its not an impossibility. even if we lose its not the end of the world we are going to win this division and go to the playoffs but if we don't shore up the D and fix the line it will be 1 and done.

EDIT * my bad Erod i confused you with another* you dont despise dak. sorry

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Sunday taught me anything is that anything can happen.
Not expecting a win against SEA, but hell who knows.
No one knows for sure As On Any Given Sunday still applies but we can make some reasonable assertions based on recent history and results.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Falcon fans are accustomed to this. Giving up seemingly insurmountable leads has become a trademark of Atlanta throughout Matt Ryan's career. Strangely, it never really seems like he's to blame, and yet there he is, a constant through them all.

The most notable, of course, was the cataclysmic 28-3 Super Bowl lead they enjoyed in the third quarter against New England. That took skill to lose that game. However, it wasn't an unusual feat for a club that routinely gives away games year after year after year. They look so good on paper at times, only to squander seasons away to 6-10 almost on a director's queue.

So there we were yesterday, a comedy of embarrassing errors by coaches and players alike, staring 0-3 right in the face, perhaps even 0-4 if the Browns are anything. They looked like junk on a stick. McCarthy said before the game they had a horrible week of practice, and it showed.

McCarthy made more dumb decisions yesterday than a season of Garrett. Zeke and Dak were fumbling balls like drunks taking wee-wees in the alley, then Dalton Schultz joined in on the parody. McCarthy had punters throwing to guys that don't have positions, then one-upped himself by by running up the middle on 4th and seemingly forever. He tripled down by going for two late and ruining the chance for a comeback.

Then Atlanta said, hold my beer.

Even before the twisting onsides debacle, Julio Jones dropped a perfectly thrown ball that would have iced the rout. Just inexplicably dropped it. This long after Dan Quinn had already strangely decided to go for two up 26-7. This game should have been put to bed.

Dallas scored a meaningless touchdown, setting up the impossible. An onside kick with today's rules makes them less than 1% successful.

Unless. The Falcons provided the unless.

What if your return team doesn't know the rules? Today's NFL players are notoriously ignorant when it comes to league history or game rules. (Would somebody please do the math for Pollard on returning kicks out of the end zone.) For some reason, players today don't seem to believe it's in their job description to know the rules of football.

Five Falcons just stood there. The ball wasn't hopping or doing crazy football bounces off its points. It was spinning smoothly with a slight curve toward that magical 10-yard come-and-get-me line for the Cowboys. And they just.....watched. Like it was going to take a hard left out of bounds or something. Like they had to let Dallas touch it first. Like they had money on the Cowboys to win.

They simply didn't know the rules. The most basic onsides rule at that. Then Goodwin, who slipped and dropped a poorly thrown ball earlier to help lose this game, pounced on it with no resistance. The Cowboys had just hit a royal straight on the river.

Ba-da-boom, ba-da-bing, and the always garbage Falcons defense watched Dallas go take a game it had no business even being it by then. Another day in Atlanta football. Falcons fans probably laughed. This was so Falcon.

What's left here in the aftermath is a Cowboys team that looks lost. This is a 6-10 type team that just got gifted a win, and hopefully a dose of reality. They aren't good.

Yes, the tackles will return. Adding Tyron and Collins, and replacing Williams with Leary, would do a lot fo the offense. Granted, but...that defense is a disaster. Pash rush is anemic again, the linebackers not named Joe Thomas are trash, and the secondary is lost in space outside of Diggs.

Yesterday was fun in the end, but when the euphoria wore off, a dark reality remained. Good teams will annihilate the Cowboys. If they don't get serious right now, they're headed for a beat down in Seattle. A number of much better teams await.

This coming Sunday will tell us the truth, whatever that is.
Can you ever make a post that's less than 1000 words? Yeah we all get it you think you are some fountain of football knowledge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would rather have a coach that is willing to take risk to win games than a coach that acts like a silly robot that all he does is clap and not do anything for an entire game.
In other words you’d rather have a HC who can cost us games than one who doesn’t factor in.

My instinct tells me I probably shouldn’t engage with anyone who only saw Garrett as a clapper .

Since you only saw Garrett as a clapper how exactly are you visualizing McCarthy with a mask on and basically no expression or emotion we’ve seen displayed. Just taking risk that aren’t working. But you’re ok with that.

Sorry but this supports the notion we are happy to have similar struggles and concerns and be just as frustrated and disappointed as long as it’s someone other than Garrett.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can you ever make a post that's less than 1000 words? Yeah we all get it you think you are some fountain of football knowledge.
He’s an excellent writer. You just don’t agree with the message. Shame you still can’t appreciate his talent for writing. One of the best on this forum. And he can tell you I don’t always agree.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
In other words you’d rather have a HC who can cost us games than one who doesn’t factor in.

My instinct tells me I probably shouldn’t engage with anyone who only saw Garrett as a clapper .

Since you only saw Garrett as a clapper how exactly are you visualizing McCarthy with a mask on and basically no expression or emotion we’ve seen displayed. Just taking risk that aren’t working. But you’re ok with that.

Sorry but this supports the notion we are happy to have similar struggles and concerns and be just as frustrated and disappointed as long as it’s someone other than Garrett.

LOL 90% of CZ and the media refer to Garrett as the "clapper". Whats wrong with that?

Like I mentioned I would rather have a coach that tries to win games. Garrett played not to lose and it has cost us countless years of mediocrity.

Garrett would have lost that game badly yesterday. Then make a stupid speech of how the players didn't follow his "process" to perfection which attributed to the loss.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you cant look at a win and be excited then i feel sorry for you but the OP isnt really to far off base here. Yes I get that he doesnt like Dak and he and Pappy could be buddies in the Dak Hate saloon but he brings up valid points. The defense is a cause for concern. The offensive line is a cause for concern. Tank McKinnely going down injured started turning the tide in our favor and allowed the line to settle down some.

Jaylon Smith is awful and matt Ryan was able to watch a movie trailer back there before delivering dimes. Atlanta is no slouch offense they have a boatload of talent but our secondary looked lost and our front 7 that was supposed to be a strength is not. And yes the coach has made some bonehead calls thus far

Dallas has to outscore you to win and Dallas best recipe for success is throwing to get Zeke going not throwing to keep up because the defense is leaking oil. OP like to blame dak for not beating quality teams and i get that he's the QB and he's an easy target because of his past but he's a quality QB.

Yes reality could very well set in this week. I also remember a time when we were scheduled to go into Seattle and no one gave us a prayer and we came out with the W so its not an impossibility. even if we lose its not the end of the world we are going to win this division and go to the playoffs but if we don't shore up the D and fix the line it will be 1 and done.
We can enjoy the win. But the next day an evaluation is needed. Apparently we have fans who believe a victory washes away all that was wrong in our performance. And what the effects could be moving forward.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL 90% of CZ and the media refer to Garrett as the "clapper". Whats wrong with that?

Like I mentioned I would rather have a coach that tries to win games. Garrett played not to lose and it has cost us countless years of mediocrity.

Garrett would have lost that game badly yesterday. Then make a stupid speech of how the players didn't follow his "process" to perfection which attributed to the loss.
I was right. You’d rather lose with Mike than Jason. Sorry I bothered.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, Pats and Hawks both appear to be contenders. Who believes based on our performance yesterday we are in either one of their leagues?

The Falcons bundled the onside kick recovery for whatever reason and it was another epic collapse.

At some point during the season the D has to get it together or we're not doing better than 8-8, if that.

starfan1

Reaction score
We can enjoy the win. But the next day an evaluation is needed. Apparently we have fans who believe a victory washes away all that was wrong in our performance. And what the effects could be moving forward.
we were lucky yesterday i get it but dang it was a good day. How many times we have gotten the shaft with a bad call or something fluky happens. It was good to see something go our way for a change. We cant start like that next week.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I was right. You’d rather lose with Mike than Jason. Sorry I bothered.

BS! I never said I would rather lose a game. I said I would rather have a coach that tries to win games than with a coach that just sits there and claps and butt slaps his players. Please reread what I said.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I watched the Seahawks vs the Patriots. Seattle is the real deal. Their play was competent to outstanding on both sides of the ball. Our game with them next week will show us how we stack up with a real contender.

There D has given up a lot of points and their front 4 is useless when it comes to pressure. We have a better offense than NE so we can go toe to toe with them in a shootout. Let's not forget everyone is trashing this Defense but the Rams were held to 20 points and it took Turnovers for ATL to score on the short field. We are better defensively than the fan base thinks.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I watched the Seahawks vs the Patriots. Seattle is the real deal. Their play was competent to outstanding on both sides of the ball. Our game with them next week will show us how we stack up with a real contender.
The Rams seem to be a real contender, that was a close game. No fans in Seattle helps. The Cowboys will need to put up about 48 points because Russell Wilson is going to torch them in a big way.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
There D has given up a lot of points and their front 4 is useless when it comes to pressure. We have a better offense than NE so we can go toe to toe with them in a shootout. Let's not forget everyone is trashing this Defense but the Rams were held to 20 points and it took Turnovers for ATL to score on the short field. We are better defensively than the fan base thinks.
You might be right. The Rams seemed to score more easily against the Eagles than they did us. Maybe the ridiculous win will propel them forward to greater things? Wining in Seattle would go a long way.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's truly amazing how many hours NFL coaches put in, and during that time they cant figure out how to teach players basic fundamentals, or learn clock management on their own.

Fans should NEVER know more than coaches and they all too often do.

erod

Reaction score
McCarthy made more dumb decisions yesterday than a season of Garrett. Zeke and Dak were fumbling balls like drunks taking wee-wees in the alley, then Dalton Schultz joined in on the parody. McCarthy had punters throwing to guys that don't have positions, then one-upped himself by by running up the middle on 4th and seemingly forever. He tripled down by going for two late and ruining the chance for a comeback.

Garrett made too many dumb decisions during this tenure here in Dallas to count. McCarthy made some yesterday. But certainly not as many has Garrett.
McCarthy didn't kick on 4th-and-3 last week when it would have tied the game. He's not off to a good start at all.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

I was not impressed by their defense at all. NE moved the ball at will. And David Irvin looks to be done for the year. Which is a big loss for them.

Wilson will carve up our crappy defense, though. Offense better be ready to win this game on their own.