An interesting test for Garrett looming

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
That's the good thing about what Garrett preaches. Everything is play to play and not game to game, and not dependent on the situation. The only thing that might change is who gets the snaps and how many, and even that can just be metered out to keep backups sharp and give the starters a few series of reps.

Apart from what he does at the QB position, the rest is straightforward. I am curious to see if Tony gets snaps in the event of a blowout to keep him sharp in case we need him on short notice. Even if we're looking to trade him, some quality reps help his value, but it's dicey opening up that box for all the obvious reasons.
Romo needs some live game reps in the event that he's needed down the road. Remember a couple of years ago when we opened up against San Fran...he was very rusty and threw a couple of picks in a season opening loss. He sharpened up quickly after that game. I don't care as much about trade value as I do having him sharp in the event we need him in the playoffs.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
These are the two things I could see happening in this situation if it were to play out as he laid it out. We could see them ease up on the use of Zeke (Of course that will likely also depend on how close he is to the record, if he is at all) and we might actually see a little bit of Romo out there just to knock some rust off.

Well I just hope they don't get in the mentality that they don't want Romo out there cause of the 'drama'. He needs to knock off the rust, we might need him, you never know. Heck, Dak isn't superman, he could actually get hurt.

We need to be ready for anything, thats all, and since he is our backup......we gotta get him ready too if possible.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Easy.

He would take each day as an independent day of the others and start stacking together with other independent days until we have a collection of independent days that will no longer be independent days but a combination of days a pile of days if you will.

By doing this you make sure that each day is as important as the other days by giving each their due attention.

I don't think you can take some days as less important and try to stack them with the more important days as this would cause a lack of symmetry and stability among the days and if I know anything about Jason "the mad Ginger" Garrett is that I don't think his coaching OCD would allow for a lack of stability and symmetry among stacked days as they would look too disorganized in a pile.

But...that is just one man's opinion.
I think you nailed it!:hammer:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Play along for a second. Let's say:
  • The Cowboys beat the Vikings and Giants
  • The Steelers beat the Giants this week
  • The Seahawks, Lions, and Falcons all lose a game in the next two weeks.
That could all happen. In fact, I think it will. That creates a very precarious position for Dallas the remainder of the way.

Essentially, that wraps up everything, leaving a full month before Dallas plays another game of significance. It also means the Cowboys would only travel once in six weeks the rest of the way until the Super Bowl, should they make it.

Games against Tampa, Detroit, and Philadelphia, followed by a bye in the playoffs. That's four weeks of nothing but a few full-contact scrimmages essentially. Time to heal is awesome, but a month is too long. Don't want to forget your football.

How should Garrett handle this?

Rest the questionables and give everyone else week 17 off

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo needs some live game reps in the event that he's needed down the road. Remember a couple of years ago when we opened up against San Fran...he was very rusty and threw a couple of picks in a season opening loss. He sharpened up quickly after that game. I don't care as much about trade value as I do having him sharp in the event we need him in the playoffs.

It's been a while for him, he definitely needs the reps. At the same time, it's a huge pandora's box to put him in right at the end of the year, given the potential for controversy. Realistically, we all know there's zero chance they go away from Dak, but it definitely would start up another two weeks of talk show fodder and invite an unnecessary distraction that the team might or might not be able to shut out completely.

On the flip side, if he plays and plays well, you get some insurance if you need him in the playoffs, and you get some ammunition for an offseason trade, assuming he plays well and stays healthy. It's kind of a tough call for me. I lean towards just playing Dak, knowing you do have Tony there if, god forbid, anything happens to your starter.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree, because right now he's a guy who can't take a hit and no one's going to pay for that. If he can show that he can get hit and stay in a game, that'll go a long way. If he breaks again, well, that's what everyone thinks will happen anyway.
This logic doesn't flow.

Let's assume every league decision-maker--general manager, owner, etc--has an overwhelming preconception that Romo would become injured and unavailable to their team after they acquired him. If true, it would not matter to them how well Romo functioned in live contact conditions before they acquired him.

csirl

Reaction score
Put the team on a 2 week rotation so that with the exception of divisional to conference finals the starters only play a game every two weeks i.e.

Wk 14 backups
Wk 15 starters
Wk 16 backups
Wk 17 starters.
Wc bye
Divisional starters
Conference starters
Bye
Superbowl starters

Get the starters used to 2 week gaps. Get the backups extensive gametime in 14 and 16 to ensure they are sharp if needed.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
This logic doesn't flow.

Let's assume every league decision-maker--general manager, owner, etc--has an overwhelming preconception that Romo would become injured and unavailable to their team after they acquired him. If true, it would not matter to them how well Romo functioned in live contact conditions before they acquired him.

Your thinking is flawed. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and the latest we have seen Tony perform at a high level is in the playoffs of 2014-2015. If you think he cannot improve his stock by playing well to end this season you are fooling yourself.

Just yesterday we saw comments from Theisman that says he's done, that there is no more football left in Tony. A lot of football people think that.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It's been a while for him, he definitely needs the reps. At the same time, it's a huge pandora's box to put him in right at the end of the year, given the potential for controversy. Realistically, we all know there's zero chance they go away from Dak, but it definitely would start up another two weeks of talk show fodder and invite an unnecessary distraction that the team might or might not be able to shut out completely.

On the flip side, if he plays and plays well, you get some insurance if you need him in the playoffs, and you get some ammunition for an offseason trade, assuming he plays well and stays healthy. It's kind of a tough call for me. I lean towards just playing Dak, knowing you do have Tony there if, god forbid, anything happens to your starter.
I understand your point, but I don't think JG gives a fling flip about a media driven controversy. I think...no, I know, that he will do what he thinks puts the team in the best position to succeed. To me, that would include giving Tony an opportunity to get his game legs back under him. I don't want to think about what might happen if he were forced to go into a playoff game with no reps to speak of in over a year. He and the team deserve better, IMO. That said, it is quite the dilemma. I trust in Red to do the right thing here...like I have any other choice.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm of the mind that you let this play itself out, and see where you are at that time. One game at a time. It's worked so far, so no reason to look too far ahead.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn't expect Garrett to divert from his central theme which is to improve day by day, week by week. If the last 2 or 3 games have no bearing on HFA then players who may need rest in order to improve can get it without having to weigh it against winning. All preparation stays the same with backups filling in for the resting players, they still play to win and probably will. I think Romo getting some reps would be considered a path to improving the team.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The injured need to heal not play. There are many players at this time of year nicked up and not playing at top form. Let them rest and then play limited snaps when well. If they need until the playoffs to get as well as possible then so be it.

Tony needs to play at some point. I doubt he needs a great number of snaps but throwing a football under game conditions like golf and others is a perishable skill. He needs to see the field at game speed as well. His being able to play at a high level is imperative as QBs often miss a game or three every year. You don't worry about him getting injured nor his trade value. Right now his role is backup and that is what you worry about.

BTW, I wouldn't just play Romo but give Dak snaps as well. If he looks sharp then he comes out.

Zee doesn't need many snaps. A series or two is enough to stay in game shape and see the field. If you've ever played RB you know you need to keep that game speed play up to par. Putting some of the inexperienced OL into the game, as long as that does not jeopardize pass protection too much, is a good idea. Letting some developing players on the field judiciously is part of good coaching as is knowing when and how much is.

Each player has their own needs to stay sharp. Some need more snaps than others so I'd give them (up to a point) leeway to decide themselves. Since some won't ever want to come off the field you're going to need to monitor those guys.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Play all starters up until the halftime of the Lions game and rest those with history of injury - Lee, Church, Scan, Clai...etc.in the 2nd half.
Play all starters for 1st quarter of the Phili game and then pull them out for the playoffs.
You lose either Lee, Zeke, Dak, Wit, Martin or Fred, your basically done for the year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why a part of me hopes the Giants do stay within striking range for a few more games, as it'll keep our guys on edge. I don't think Garrett would start resting players at all during games, he didn't in 2014. But you want them all as sharp as possible.

But many of the teams we're playing will still be in the playoff hunt, so we won't have many meaningless games (other than maybe Philly)

Are you nuts...want them to stay in striking range...bull crap, you want to win the divison ASAP....worry about all this rest and crap later....it is not like,it is anything new to have 3 weeks of meaningless games waiting for the playoffs to start. The player will stay fresh and focused. They will play out the season ,and may get some time off from the last games.

I have never seen so many people wanting our division foes to win as this year. People wanted Philly to win the past few weeks, want the Giants to stay within striking distance....no you want them to lose and us to win until we win the divison, then who cares what they do.
Actually I want them to keep losing to be out of the playoffs all together.

I do not want to play a divison opponent for a throw time in the year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It becomes much like preseason. You don't want to take unnecessary risk for injury in meaningless games.

Veteran players don't need extended live action to stay sharp . They have practice.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2005 Indianapolis Colts is a cautionary tale.
Yeah, that's the anecdotal case. On the other hand, they lost their playoff game (as we did in '07) to a team that was peaking and went on to win the SB. And then I look at the '09 Saints, who lost their last 3 games, rested everyone in week 17, had a bye week, and went on to win the SB. Color me skeptical.