An interesting test for Garrett looming

Plumfool

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the anecdotal case. On the other hand, they lost their playoff game (as we did in '07) to a team that was peaking and went on to win the SB. And then I look at the '09 Saints, who lost their last 3 games, rested everyone in week 17, had a bye week, and went on to win the SB. Color me skeptical.

I'd agree with that kinda. However I feel the emotion of the city recovering from Katrina really propelled that team. IMO that makes that team an anomaly.

Grevus

Reaction score
You treat these games like preseason games. 1st string gets the start and plays 1/2 half. After that you start putting 2nd, 3rd string players in. If in the 1st half things look bad, then you keep them in to make sure they leave the game with sucess.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Treat them as pre-season games. Starter play a couple of series or 1 quarter, then backups in .. This keeps starters involved and helps them freshen up

:cool:

bark

Reaction score
Just look at 2014 as an indication what Garrett would do. In week 17, with a meaningless game vs Washington, he played the starters well into the 2nd half, even using an onside kick to try to run up the score.
Yep. Garrett already showed us what he will do

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Do what Belichick does on his week 17 games. :)

And in before "cheat, spy" and all that nonsense.

If we go deep, I'm changing my status to "Idgit Was Right" @Idgit

Removing 2015 -- an injury disaster of a season -- in 2014 and 2016 JG is 24-5.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
You're scenario is not at all that improbable, I was thinking about this myself today. It's very likely that this whole this is wrapped up after the Giants game. Think about that!

You can't rest starters that early but I do see Garrett easing up on Zeke's carries. For sure, Romo is going to start the season finale against Philadelphia. And as others have said, anyone who is remotely injured sits.

Other than that, though, it's all out for 15-1. We'll get the rest we need during the bye week.

mooseq

Reaction score
Put Romo in to build up his trade value. Show he can still take a hit and can move this offense. Sit Dak and Zeke and save them for the stretch.

Romo is already proven as he has won the last 15 of 19 games he's played. I think it would be stupid for Dallas to put him in and risk an injury and lose out any chance of trading them in the off-season

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Romo is already proven as he has won the last 15 of 19 games he's played. I think it would be stupid for Dallas to put him in and risk an injury and lose out any chance of trading them in the off-season

He hasn't hardly played since 2014 and has had multiple significant injuries since then. In 2015 while he did go 3 and 1 he was less than great.

erod

Reaction score
He hasn't hardly played since 2014 and has had multiple significant injuries since then. In 2015 while he did go 3 and 1 he was less than great.

He was fine. Joseph Randle was less than great.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

How in the blue **** can you assess Romo off of his 2015 season? I see this all the time and it boggles my mind.

erod

Reaction score
How in the blue **** can you assess Romo off of his 2015 season? I see this all the time and it boggles my mind.

He brings the team down the field to beat the Giants late, has a lead against Philly before getting hurt, then comes back while he's still got a bad collar bone and beats Miami before having a bad day and getting hurt against the eventual Super Bowl team from the NFC.

Romo was 16-5 during that stretch.

Other Dallas QBs were 1-12.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Play along for a second. Let's say:
  • The Cowboys beat the Vikings and Giants
  • The Steelers beat the Giants this week
  • The Seahawks, Lions, and Falcons all lose a game in the next two weeks.
That could all happen. In fact, I think it will. That creates a very precarious position for Dallas the remainder of the way.

Essentially, that wraps up everything, leaving a full month before Dallas plays another game of significance. It also means the Cowboys would only travel once in six weeks the rest of the way until the Super Bowl, should they make it.

Games against Tampa, Detroit, and Philadelphia, followed by a bye in the playoffs. That's four weeks of nothing but a few full-contact scrimmages essentially. Time to heal is awesome, but a month is too long. Don't want to forget your football.

How should Garrett handle this?
I doubt we will have the number one seed locked up that soon. I fully expect a loss in the next couple of games. Either from this defense or from a ref screwing, but it's coming

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Time stops for no one. We saw Peyton Manning fall off a cliff from one year to the next. How can YOU assess Romo off of his play almost 2 years ago?

landryscorner

Reaction score
I want to see how he's going to handle getting Romo to play the last meaningless game of the season (I'm getting my popcorn ready)
Should be REallllyyyy interesting.

bandfan

Reaction score
Whatever it is it will probably be on a flowchart because it is a process you know......