Ancient Aliens?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Once technology gets started you can’t count the years before that. Once technology gets moving it keeps doubling basically, so 300 years is a big difference.

Light speed is too slow, speed is the wrong way of looking at space travel, other methods are needed.
I agree, but there could be a point at which technology plateaus.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I am not an expert on history, but in 1723 the puritans were about 100 years into this country, had overthrown a king, started a new country, built schools like harvard and yale, were incredible multi linguistic scholars, self sufficient etc. Their books and writing are top notch scholarly works

If you just look at the romans who were in power around 2 thousand years ago, and how they changed the world with their technology and architecture and the "science" involved in that, you should reach different conclusions.

In the past few hundred years, there has been a giant leap in electrical type technology, along with circuit board technology, airplane technology, etc., but thinking people sitting in a room with ability to turn on a light at will and make stupid tiktok videos makes us smart and people in the past were stupid and unscientific is hubris.

I think you guys are comparing the top tier today with the peasants and serfs of yester year. It is not the right comparison.

I think scholars of yester year could walk circles around most people today, hold their own against the top tier, and very quickly learn any new technological advances.

What we see in the world today supports advancement in civilizations and catastrophes where technology gets setback. There is 0 support for life from other places in what we call space.

Earth is the main stage, and we are special creations
Sure. Yawn. We are the greatest and only. Fine.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I didn't say we "know" the universe is homogeneous. I said it seems to be. I said that because looking out in every direction, the same elements we know are spread rather evenly, and the temperature and background radiation as well. If the Big Bang Theory is correct, that stands to reason. This is also why I said it seems unlikely that they'd have materials unknown to us.(By "materials" I mean naturally occuring substances, made by the same elements on the periodic table.)

Comparing us to our historical peoples and comparing the people 300 years into the future to us doesn't work. Humanity lived for thousands of years with very little change until the last century, and the advent of technology and the industrial age. Also, as I stated earlier, we now rely on science, rather than superstition, so our curiosity drives us to learn and understand, as opposed to our fear keeping our heads in the sand.

It's entirely possible that we're close to reaching the limit of what's possible, technologically, at least where space travel is concerned. It may be that we can work out how to travel at near light speed, or maybe even beyond light speed, but it may require a power source that's impossible to harness.

I have no doubt there are other life forms out there, and little doubt there are intelligent species. But it may be that no matter how intelligent they are, they'll always be subject to the laws of physics that we know.
We know one planet somewhat out of hundreds of millions. Claiming we know much of anything is a joke. We look but what do we see and what CAN we see?

We are INFANTS.

The arrogance of claiming we know far more than we do is rather pathetic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We know one planet somewhat out of hundreds of millions. Claiming we know much of anything is a joke. We look but what do we see and what CAN we see?

We are INFANTS.

The arrogance of claiming we know far more than we do is rather pathetic.
Are you again saying I claim we "know"?

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn't say we "know" the universe is homogeneous. I said it seems to be. I said that because looking out in every direction, the same elements we know are spread rather evenly, and the temperature and background radiation as well. If the Big Bang Theory is correct, that stands to reason. This is also why I said it seems unlikely that they'd have materials unknown to us.(By "materials" I mean naturally occuring substances, made by the same elements on the periodic table.)

Comparing us to our historical peoples and comparing the people 300 years into the future to us doesn't work. Humanity lived for thousands of years with very little change until the last century, and the advent of technology and the industrial age. Also, as I stated earlier, we now rely on science, rather than superstition, so our curiosity drives us to learn and understand, as opposed to our fear keeping our heads in the sand.

It's entirely possible that we're close to reaching the limit of what's possible, technologically, at least where space travel is concerned. It may be that we can work out how to travel at near light speed, or maybe even beyond light speed, but it may require a power source that's impossible to harness.

I have no doubt there are other life forms out there, and little doubt there are intelligent species. But it may be that no matter how intelligent they are, they'll always be subject to the laws of physics that we know.
I agree, the laws of physics are the same throughout the universe. But our understanding of the universe is relatively primitive, based on conjecture mixed with some science. Imagine how much more an alien species that can actually travel through the vastness of space knows are what we can only see in radio telescopes?

I admit we have to assume the periodic table is the same throughout the universe, or are there elements that exist elsewhere they we have never observed? As I said, we don't know what we don't know and can't envision what we don't know. This puts us at a great disadvantage when it comes to understand alien civilizations that may be millions of years more advanced than we are.

At the same time, it is also possible that a species no older or more advanced that we are in our understanding of science discovered something we have not yet discovered which gives them the ability to travel through space even though they still watch Family Guy and the Simpsons.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I bet most of you guys have watched those shows about aliens that visited earth and helped the Egyptians build the pyramids and garbage line that. I don't buy it and I don't trust using ancient artwork as an indicator of spacemen visiting earth at that time. Artwork is a very unreliably indicator of reality.

But I was watching one of the shows recently about whether or not a space craft crashed on earth and was being reverse engineered by the Russians. I have seen similar stories about America doing the same thing with a space ship that crashed in Nevada around 1950. No one has real evidence of this, and honestly, I don't think a secret like that could be kept for this many years.

But the question is, could an alien spacecraft really be reverse engineered by earth scientists? I say no.

How many years more advanced would an alien species have to be to build the technology to get them to earth from another galaxy? 100? 200? 500? Now imagine taking an iPhone, even an iPhone 4, back in time 200 years. Do you think the people of the early 1800s would have any idea what do do with it? How to replicate the technology? Would they even understand the basic electronics? They would think it was some kind of magic, or some godly instrument. More than likely they would get on their knees and worship it!

But seriously, the idea that we could just reverse engineer technology that might be 500 or 1000 years more advanced than our own is preposterous. The best we could do is scratch our heads. But I guess it makes good TV.
Who’s to say their technology is as advanced as you say? Maybe we’re not too far behind. You don’t know. Also, science has advanced rapidly of late and that’s because there are more extremely intelligent scientists now than there was in 1800.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Life on other planets is pretty much guaranteed. After it all becomes public some books will have to be edited or added to and that’s alright. These things happen, it’s no big deal.

If alien craft are being reverse engineered with no luck that’s alright also, gotta keep trying.

By the time some very important person stands at the podium and tells the world we’re not alone most people won’t care anymore.
But is intelligent life on other planets guaranteed? Big difference.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Who’s to say their technology is as advanced as you say? Maybe we’re not too far behind. You don’t know. Also, science has advanced rapidly of late and that’s because there are more extremely intelligent scientists now than there was in 1800.
Now HERE is the arrogance I talked about.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Are you again saying I claim we "know"?
You dance around it but the inference is obvious. I laugh at those who talk about how 'advanced' we are/

Clearly those 'geniuses' are not as smart as they think. FTL and the power to achieve it? CENTURIES away since we have no clue how to do either right now. Look at how much trouble we are having just getting fusion to work. Artificial gravity and so many other thing that would be necessary are only science FICTION right now OR for the foreseeable future.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Not a big difference, once life gets going it will become intelligent at some point. They say our solar system is 4.5 billion years old, the universe they say is 13.8 billion years old. Life they say got started on earth 3.7 billion years ago. That would mean it took about 800 million years for life to start on earth. Other solar systems are older than ours, and some solar systems formed after us. When a person looks at all the numbers and all the galaxies it would be almost impossible for us to be the only intelligent life in this universe. If there’s no other intelligent life that would indicate we’re most likely in a simulation of some kind.

However life started on earth those same mathematics exist all throughout the universe that means life is also somewhere else.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I am not an expert on history, but in 1723 the puritans were about 100 years into this country, had overthrown a king, started a new country, built schools like harvard and yale, were incredible multi linguistic scholars, self sufficient etc. Their books and writing are top notch scholarly works

If you just look at the romans who were in power around 2 thousand years ago, and how they changed the world with their technology and architecture and the "science" involved in that, you should reach different conclusions.

In the past few hundred years, there has been a giant leap in electrical type technology, along with circuit board technology, airplane technology, etc., but thinking people sitting in a room with ability to turn on a light at will and make stupid tiktok videos makes us smart and people in the past were stupid and unscientific is hubris.

I think you guys are comparing the top tier today with the peasants and serfs of yester year. It is not the right comparison.

I think scholars of yester year could walk circles around most people today, hold their own against the top tier, and very quickly learn any new technological advances.

What we see in the world today supports advancement in civilizations and catastrophes where technology gets setback. There is 0 support for life from other places in what we call space.

Earth is the main stage, and we are special creations
Lol no creation bruh

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not a big difference, once life gets going it will become intelligent at some point. They say our solar system is 4.5 billion years old, the universe they say is 13.8 billion years old. Life they say got started on earth 3.7 billion years ago. That would mean it took about 800 million years for life to start on earth. Other solar systems are older than ours, and some solar systems formed after us. When a person looks at all the numbers and all the galaxies it would be almost impossible for us to be the only intelligent life in this universe. If there’s no other intelligent life that would indicate we’re most likely in a simulation of some kind.

However life started on earth those same mathematics exist all throughout the universe that means life is also somewhere else.
Don’t disagree on life elsewhere but disagree we couldn’t reverse engineer their technology.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You dance around it but the inference is obvious. I laugh at those who talk about how 'advanced' we are/

Clearly those 'geniuses' are not as smart as they think. FTL and the power to achieve it? CENTURIES away since we have no clue how to do either right now. Look at how much trouble we are having just getting fusion to work. Artificial gravity and so many other thing that would be necessary are only science FICTION right now OR for the foreseeable future.
We’ve proved fusion works years ago. First fusion vehicle already built.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Lol we are not special
What is like us on earth, what in space is like us?

One of the major laws or principles on earth is that the seeds are within the seeds

1. GMO seeds do not reproduce, they do not have seed within themselves
2. When you try to cross breed species, if possible, they are sterile
3. Human seeds come from humans, it is in us, and if you dont have the right match of humans (male/female), it does not produce seed

Humans are the top of the food chain, and life or the creation of life, has laws

You might want to think about this undeniable fact of how our world is created, and think about how life could be on other "planets" by this law, rather than elements or theoretical stuff you guys spout

If its seed is within itself, it is good
If its seed in not within itself, it is bad

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Guaranteed? No. But it does seem likely, given the billions of galaxies out there. Whether they're advanced enough to travel fast enough to reach us (assuming they even know about us and would be interested) is unknowable.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I "dance around it"? I don't claim that we know anything for certain and you think that means I believe we do??

Yet here you are, stating unequivocally that we're centuries away from FTL speed, simply because we don't know how to do it right now. I imagine people in the 1940's would have said the same thing about landing men on the moon.

I don't know if FTL is even possible, and the same with artificial gravity, other than through acceleration or centrifugal inertia. As I said earlier, it may be possible that it requires more power than can be harnessed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Life is almost 100% guaranteed. But think of all the things that had to happen for humans to come to be.

A planet at just the right distance to a stable star, rotating at a speed which allows it to be fairly uniform in temporary, making a relatively stable climate. Water, oxygen, etc.(not that all life requires the same chemistry) Mass extinction events that allowed us to be the apex species. Large planets in our solar system that help protect us from stray comets and asteroids. Earth's molten iron core, providing a magnetic field to protect us from solar winds, etc.

There's a lot that needs to happen to keep a species alive long enough to develop into an intelligent civilization.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Guaranteed? No. But it does seem likely, given the billions of galaxies out there. Whether they're advanced enough to travel fast enough to reach us (assuming they even know about us and would be interested) is unknowable.
I don’t know if it’s likely or not. I do know that it took a combination of many things to come together at the same time for the evolution to humans.