Ancient Aliens?

Creeper

Reaction score
I bet most of you guys have watched those shows about aliens that visited earth and helped the Egyptians build the pyramids and garbage line that. I don't buy it and I don't trust using ancient artwork as an indicator of spacemen visiting earth at that time. Artwork is a very unreliably indicator of reality.

But I was watching one of the shows recently about whether or not a space craft crashed on earth and was being reverse engineered by the Russians. I have seen similar stories about America doing the same thing with a space ship that crashed in Nevada around 1950. No one has real evidence of this, and honestly, I don't think a secret like that could be kept for this many years.

But the question is, could an alien spacecraft really be reverse engineered by earth scientists? I say no.

How many years more advanced would an alien species have to be to build the technology to get them to earth from another galaxy? 100? 200? 500? Now imagine taking an iPhone, even an iPhone 4, back in time 200 years. Do you think the people of the early 1800s would have any idea what do do with it? How to replicate the technology? Would they even understand the basic electronics? They would think it was some kind of magic, or some godly instrument. More than likely they would get on their knees and worship it!

But seriously, the idea that we could just reverse engineer technology that might be 500 or 1000 years more advanced than our own is preposterous. The best we could do is scratch our heads. But I guess it makes good TV.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I bet most of you guys have watched those shows about aliens that visited earth and helped the Egyptians build the pyramids and garbage line that. I don't buy it and I don't trust using ancient artwork as an indicator of spacemen visiting earth at that time. Artwork is a very unreliably indicator of reality.

But I was watching one of the shows recently about whether or not a space craft crashed on earth and was being reverse engineered by the Russians. I have seen similar stories about America doing the same thing with a space ship that crashed in Nevada around 1950. No one has real evidence of this, and honestly, I don't think a secret like that could be kept for this many years.

But the question is, could an alien spacecraft really be reverse engineered by earth scientists? I say no.

How many years more advanced would an alien species have to be to build the technology to get them to earth from another galaxy? 100? 200? 500? Now imagine taking an iPhone, even an iPhone 4, back in time 200 years. Do you think the people of the early 1800s would have any idea what do do with it? How to replicate the technology? Would they even understand the basic electronics? They would think it was some kind of magic, or some godly instrument. More than likely they would get on their knees and worship it!

But seriously, the idea that we could just reverse engineer technology that might be 500 or 1000 years more advanced than our own is preposterous. The best we could do is scratch our heads. But I guess it makes good TV.
From another galaxy? Don't you mean from somewhere in this galaxy?

Anyway, it would be the height of arrogance to think we are the only sentient life forms in the galaxy.

AS regards tech we have not yet been able to make fusion work. So I figure anyone visiting here which means FTL capability has to be at least a couple of hundred years more advanced and possibly more. Nuts they could have been wandering around space for a millennia and just decided to stop by and see if there was any intelligent life here.
Then they left, disapointed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The difference between the iPhone to ancients, and a spacecraft to our scientists is that

a) We actually have scientists who know it's not magic or Satan, and

b) We're aware of quantum mechanics, and probably know all the stable elements in existence. Reverse engineering the ship would be a matter of studying how they were able to influence the various elements in order the get the desired reactions.

This is assuming they'd be able to open the ship up without destroying it and/or themselves.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Life on other planets is pretty much guaranteed. After it all becomes public some books will have to be edited or added to and that’s alright. These things happen, it’s no big deal.

If alien craft are being reverse engineered with no luck that’s alright also, gotta keep trying.

By the time some very important person stands at the podium and tells the world we’re not alone most people won’t care anymore.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Reverse engineering does you no good if you have no clue how anything works; or do not have access to materials its made of since they do not exist in this solar system.

IT would be like Leonardo Da Vinci being shown a Space Shuttle and then told to reverse engineer it.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

A bunch of our major inventors give credit of their inventions to the ether, vril, prana, etc. I would take that rabbit hole over any of the space/galaxy stuff. That stuff is theoretical and science fiction .

It is a magic trick. Look up and imagine, and dont look at what is around you. They are discovering all types of unknown history in the oceans and ground right now. I just found out about lion city china, that was flooded in recent history, which is very interesting. There is a lot of chimera stuff there.

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We don’t know what we don’t know, anything is possible. IF a spacecraft has visited, we probably wouldn’t know……they could be up to millions of years on us technology wise, depending on the length of travel. I don’t know if we are alone here but it is a mathematical improbability that we are the only life in this universe. I just hope that I live long enough to know one way or the other :muttley:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We're human and curious by nature. Assuming we did have an aircraft of alien origin, I think we'd absolutely be trying to reverse engineer it. Even if we couldn't begin to scratch the surface on being able to understand it, I think we know enough about science to keep our hope going. The obsession alone of wanting to figure out the technology and/or materials of tbe craft would continue to drive scientists. Not to mention the military advantage of cracking the code on that kind of technology

Look up Bob Lazar and listen to his story. You're more than welcome to take his story with a grain of salt, but his story is an interesting one. He was a whistle-blower from area 51. A good listen if even for only entertaining purposes.

I try to stay open-minded about all of this. Of course I'm skeptical about certain things, but I also know it's an insanely massive (so massive the human mind can't even comprehend it's size) universe out there and anything is possible.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

You know that small ball at the end of a Bic pen?

The Chinese just recently figured out how to engineer that. Like this year or last...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I’ve always been interested in ancient aliens being Gods. That’s why I liked the Stargate SG:1 series. The Ancient Aliens tv show is crap, though.

I guess reverse engineering alien tech would depend on how advanced it is. If aliens are actually ourselves from another dimension and time, it might be possible they left breadcrumbs.

Hardline

Reaction score
There are no modern aliens much less ancient ones.
This is a great documentary that totally blows ancient aliens and ancient technology out of the water.

Creeper

Reaction score
From another galaxy? Don't you mean from somewhere in this galaxy?

Anyway, it would be the height of arrogance to think we are the only sentient life forms in the galaxy.

AS regards tech we have not yet been able to make fusion work. So I figure anyone visiting here which means FTL capability has to be at least a couple of hundred years more advanced and possibly more. Nuts they could have been wandering around space for a millennia and just decided to stop by and see if there was any intelligent life here.
Then they left, disapointed.
I said another galaxy but it could be solar system or whatever. The point being the technology to make such a trip to earth would have to be far more advanced that anything we have on earth. And, we cannot assume that their technological developed followed the same path as ours. We would have to assume their tech would be unrecognizable to us.

There are myriad problems with interstellar space travel, including distance/time. I am just assuming a life form that have solved all the big problems is probably hundreds of not thousands of year more advanced than we are. Then again, maybe they lucked out and had one Einstein like guy who had an epiphany that solved gravity or something and they solved space travel but can't make an iPhone.

Creeper

Reaction score
We don’t know what we don’t know, anything is possible. IF a spacecraft has visited, we probably wouldn’t know……they could be up to millions of years on us technology wise, depending on the length of travel. I don’t know if we are alone here but it is a mathematical improbability that we are the only life in this universe. I just hope that I live long enough to know one way or the other :muttley:
I don't disagree. The number of planets in the universe makes it highly likely that there is intelligent life out there somewhere. But, it is also highly unlikely that wherever it is , it is close to earth. More than likely, they are as oblivious to us as we are to them.

I am assuming there is intelligent life somewhere else in the universe, and even advanced civilizations that have come and gone long ago. My point was really just about humans on earth reverse engineering the technology of aliens who may have crash landed on earth.

Creeper

Reaction score
The difference between the iPhone to ancients, and a spacecraft to our scientists is that

a) We actually have scientists who know it's not magic or Satan, and

b) We're aware of quantum mechanics, and probably know all the stable elements in existence. Reverse engineering the ship would be a matter of studying how they were able to influence the various elements in order the get the desired reactions.

This is assuming they'd be able to open the ship up without destroying it and/or themselves.
I accept that we are more advanced in our knowledge than our ancestors. But we do not know what we do not know. We do not even know how far were are from knowing what we do not know. We cannot assume that aliens traveling through space to earth have used the knowledge we have to develop their own technology. They have probably discovered things we cannot conceive and built their technology from that knowledge. The human brain limits us to how we think and what we think, and much of that is environmental, and much is just based on the structure of the brain. Alien life may have evolved differently. Perhaps their brain structure and function is completely different. Maybe they have 3 brains, or no brains, just a neural network that functions as its "brain". They think differently. They have greater ability to imagine and explore.

Is it possible that we have reached the limits of technology? That we can improve what we have but that are no further revolutions in technology to advance our capabilities? Does every species including humans have a limit to have far they can advance? I suppose we will not live long enough to get an answer to that question, but I suspect a life form capable of interstellar travel has thought of stuff we cannot imagine.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I accept that we are more advanced in our knowledge than our ancestors. But we do not know what we do not know. We do not even know how far were are from knowing what we do not know. We cannot assume that aliens traveling through space to earth have used the knowledge we have to develop their own technology. They have probably discovered things we cannot conceive and built their technology from that knowledge. The human brain limits us to how we think and what we think, and much of that is environmental, and much is just based on the structure of the brain. Alien life may have evolved differently. Perhaps their brain structure and function is completely different. Maybe they have 3 brains, or no brains, just a neural network that functions as its "brain". They think differently. They have greater ability to imagine and explore.

Is it possible that we have reached the limits of technology? That we can improve what we have but that are no further revolutions in technology to advance our capabilities? Does every species including humans have a limit to have far they can advance? I suppose we will not live long enough to get an answer to that question, but I suspect a life form capable of interstellar travel has thought of stuff we cannot imagine.
All of this is valid.

However, just because we don't know how to invent something doesn't mean we can't understand it, once we've studied the model.

Now, if a ship were made of stable elements of which we're not aware, and can't unlock to even study, then we're screwed. But unless they've figured out a way to use dark matter, dark energy, or materials unknown to us (which seems unlikely, since the universe appears to be homogeneous) I doubt their technology would be impenetrable.

gtb1943

Reaction score
All of this is valid.

However, just because we don't know how to invent something doesn't mean we can't understand it, once we've studied the model.

Now, if a ship were made of stable elements of which we're not aware, and can't unlock to even study, then we're screwed. But unless they've figured out a way to use dark matter, dark energy, or materials unknown to us (which seems unlikely, since the universe appears to be homogeneous) I doubt their technology would be impenetrable.
Why would it be unlikely that they would have materials unknown to us?

How do we know the universe is homogeneous?

We actually know VERY LITTLE about the universe. We have lots of theory and some very arrogant people that claim they know a lot but cannot prove a thing.

Every twenty years or so a lot of so called conventional wisdom is turned on its ear one way or another. The odds of us being right about as much as we think we are - well maybe a lottery ticket is a better bet.

Any species able to get here from there is probably at least several hundred years more advanced; maybe a millennia or more. Maybe a LOT MORE.

Say they are 300 years more advanced. Look at us in 1723 and what did we know about much of anything. VERY LITTLE
someone living in a time before the French and Indian war brought here to the present time would be so lost as to probably die of shock or become catatonic.

And do you really want to talk about what was conventional wisdom in all areas in 1723?

And THAT is only if they are 300 years more advanced.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why would it be unlikely that they would have materials unknown to us?

How do we know the universe is homogeneous?

We actually know VERY LITTLE about the universe. We have lots of theory and some very arrogant people that claim they know a lot but cannot prove a thing.

Every twenty years or so a lot of so called conventional wisdom is turned on its ear one way or another. The odds of us being right about as much as we think we are - well maybe a lottery ticket is a better bet.

Any species able to get here from there is probably at least several hundred years more advanced; maybe a millennia or more. Maybe a LOT MORE.

Say they are 300 years more advanced. Look at us in 1723 and what did we know about much of anything. VERY LITTLE
someone living in a time before the French and Indian war brought here to the present time would be so lost as to probably die of shock or become catatonic.

And do you really want to talk about what was conventional wisdom in all areas in 1723?

And THAT is only if they are 300 years more advanced.
I didn't say we "know" the universe is homogeneous. I said it seems to be. I said that because looking out in every direction, the same elements we know are spread rather evenly, and the temperature and background radiation as well. If the Big Bang Theory is correct, that stands to reason. This is also why I said it seems unlikely that they'd have materials unknown to us.(By "materials" I mean naturally occuring substances, made by the same elements on the periodic table.)

Comparing us to our historical peoples and comparing the people 300 years into the future to us doesn't work. Humanity lived for thousands of years with very little change until the last century, and the advent of technology and the industrial age. Also, as I stated earlier, we now rely on science, rather than superstition, so our curiosity drives us to learn and understand, as opposed to our fear keeping our heads in the sand.

It's entirely possible that we're close to reaching the limit of what's possible, technologically, at least where space travel is concerned. It may be that we can work out how to travel at near light speed, or maybe even beyond light speed, but it may require a power source that's impossible to harness.

I have no doubt there are other life forms out there, and little doubt there are intelligent species. But it may be that no matter how intelligent they are, they'll always be subject to the laws of physics that we know.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Once technology gets started you can’t count the years before that. Once technology gets moving it keeps doubling basically, so 300 years is a big difference.

Light speed is too slow, speed is the wrong way of looking at space travel, other methods are needed.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Comparing us to our historical peoples and comparing the people 300 years into the future to us doesn't work. Humanity lived for thousands of years with very little change until the last century, and the advent of technology and the industrial age. Also, as I stated earlier, we now rely on science, rather than superstition, so our curiosity drives us to learn and understand, as opposed to our fear keeping our heads in the sand.
I am not an expert on history, but in 1723 the puritans were about 100 years into this country, had overthrown a king, started a new country, built schools like harvard and yale, were incredible multi linguistic scholars, self sufficient etc. Their books and writing are top notch scholarly works

If you just look at the romans who were in power around 2 thousand years ago, and how they changed the world with their technology and architecture and the "science" involved in that, you should reach different conclusions.

In the past few hundred years, there has been a giant leap in electrical type technology, along with circuit board technology, airplane technology, etc., but thinking people sitting in a room with ability to turn on a light at will and make stupid tiktok videos makes us smart and people in the past were stupid and unscientific is hubris.

I think you guys are comparing the top tier today with the peasants and serfs of yester year. It is not the right comparison.

I think scholars of yester year could walk circles around most people today, hold their own against the top tier, and very quickly learn any new technological advances.

What we see in the world today supports advancement in civilizations and catastrophes where technology gets setback. There is 0 support for life from other places in what we call space.

Earth is the main stage, and we are special creations

Last edited: