And with the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select..

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Romo will be 31 when the season starts next year. They have to consider QB. That's not a knock on Romo at all. It's a fact. If they ignore that then we'll be stuck like we were at the end of Aikman's career, scrambling with the next Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson. People lose perspective when they see Old Man Favre running around, but the cold truth is that Romo probably only has 3 or so more good years left before he starts to decline. To think he's going to play at an elite level for another 5 years is probably wishful thinking. They - hopefully "they" doesn't mean Jerry Jones - have to seriously consider QB.

If you have a #1 overall (or top 3 or so for that matter), you need to look at 3 positions, IMO: QB, LT, and pass rusher. Almost every other position is overvaluing a guy who won't have as much impact on the game. Even RB. Although an RB can definitely have a huge impact, their shelf life is what, 7 years in most cases? Most RBs are a shell of their former selves after 6 or 7 years, and more importantly, are far and away the easiest position to find a quality player with in the middle of the draft.

With LT, we could likely easily shift Free to RT and put a new guy there pretty quickly. Look around the league the last few years and a lot of rookie LT's have been good right away, and in some cases, helped turn their offense around. Our OL needs a heavy dose of toughness. We also need a guy who won't get totally rolled on 3rd and short, like our OL does with regularity. In other words, we need an alpha male on the OL, not a fake one like Colombo (that's not a shot on his character, just that he isn't a very good football player).

And with OLB/DE, don't tell me we're set there. We have one guy who can consistently rush the passer and no one else. Spencer has some nice qualities, but it's year 4 with him and we're still waiting for him to break out. How would he compare to the Giants? Their 4th best pass rusher? 5th? Whether we stay 3-4 or not, we need to find another pass rusher, because other than the last 5 or so weeks of last year, Spencer hasn't shown he can do it.

Like with safety, there's an ok veteran available in free agency annually. How many QBs? How many decent left tackles? How many pass rushers? With those 3 positions, it's a rarity that a decent player - much less a really good one - ever hits the open market. Drafting a safety that high is a Roy Williams disaster waiting to happen. Name one safety drafted in the top 10 in the last decade that's lived up to his billing. I can't think of any. No way I'd take safety high. That's a Commander/Raider move.

Those 3 positions: QB, LT, DE/OLB. IMO, every other position is complimentary, and taking a guy at one of them assumes that we're set overall and are just looking to fill holes. We're not. Not even close.

alancdc

Reaction score
RT, RG, STUDD MLB. The good/bad news is that we will also have a top 37ish pick. Should be abel to address 2 areas of need.

Randy White

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3650060 said:
I still think that the raiders will self desctruct, and that their pick which patriots have will be a top 10 pick.

In order for that pick to end up top 10, the Raiders would have to lose 8 out of their 9 games remaining. Looking at their schedule, I don't see that happening. The 2 toughest team they play are Seattle and Pitt. Everybody else is almost literally a toss up. They could easily end up with a 7-9 record or even 8-8.

AS reports say, there could be at end of year, 3-5 top super QBs coming out, if Luck does come out. If raiders do self explode, and patriots do want the alabama running back, you could trade down alittle, not far mind you stay in top 5, but get extra picks.

There's no doubt that Luck will come out. He's the consensous #1 pick of the draft and the team with the worst record happen to need a QB, so he's Buffalo bound unless something unforseen happens ( injuries, dirty pictures, etc.. )

Looking at the teams that are destined as of right now to select in the top 10, I don't see any need for them to move up. Let's assume that everything stays the same way it is right now:

0-6 / 1-6:

Bills = QB - Andrew Luck
Detroit = DE - Da'Quan Bowers
Carolina = DE - Robert Quinn or Adrian Clayborn
49ers = QB - Jake Locker
Cowboys = CB - Patrick Peterson

2-5

Cleveland = DE - Adrian Clayborn or Robert Quinn
Chargers = WR - A.J. Green
Cinci = DT - Marcell Dareus
Denver = OLB - Akeem Ayers
Minnesota = CB Janoris Jenkins

I'm not saying those players are going in that particular order. I'm just pointing out the general area of need for those teams and the available talent they have to choose from.

There's no need for us to trade down, even if Peterson is taken ahead of us. Other than the QB and WR, and perhaps the DT, any of those players could come in and should make an immidiate contribution, which is what you're looking for in a top 5, top 10 pick.

I don't see any O-lineman doing that.

As far as brewster, let me ask you this. When cowboys cut brewster, and before they resigned him to practice squad, did any other NFL team sign him? No!

That doesn't mean anything to me, nor is a true reflection of Brewster's worth. He's a developmental lineman. Very few, if any, team in the NFL right now would be willing to take on a developmental lineman and spend a 53 roster spot on him. They'll glady put him in their practice squad, but that doesn't make sense to Brewster ( unless teams come up with some extra incentive - as in money ), who would have to agree to that, because he's already doing that in a familiar setting. Not to mention that we don't know if the Cowboys paid Brewster some extra cash for him to stick around, which is perfectly within the rules and has been done before.

If there was reports that some players were late to meetings, with coaches screaming at them, with brewster still out of shape football wise, flabby and to heavy. so, you want to count on him as an OT.

Brewster not being in top shape, upper body wise, is understandable. He had " baby fat " issues coming out of college and the Cowboys knew that, so imagine missing an entire year without being able to do any lifting with your upper body because of an injury.

I'm going to believe my lying eyes on this one, since he did well in spurts during the pre-season, and give him another shot ( which is what I was suggesting ) next year.

Suppose to be 3-5 top super QB next year if luck comes out
Theres about 5 top OTs next year too,

No, there aren't. There isn't even a consensus potentially future franchise LT listed at this point and that's a very important indicator. The top one right now is Derek Sherrod, and he's middle of the draft type talent. Everybody else look like development projects. That doesn't mean that somebody in the later part of the draft won't break out and have a terrific season as a rookie, but good luck trying to figure out who that is.

Obviously we're not going to draft a QB with any pick in the first 4 rounds, if at all..

Just about everything else you said, I agree with.

Randy White

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3650100 said:
again i will scream if we take a defender with our top pick, we need offensive linemen and a young top impact QB like Luck

Are you suggesting that Luck is a better QB than Romo ?

Randy White

Reaction score
ZeroClub;3650195 said:
I hope Sam Young gets some reps this season ... Going into the draft, it'd be very nice to know if Young is a viable option at RT. And it isn't like playing Young will ruin the season. The season is already ruined.

:hammer:

Same with Brewster, when he's ready. This is a perfect time to see if they're worth it and what they need to work on.

VThokie7

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3650100 said:
again i will scream if we take a defender with our top pick, we need offensive linemen and a young top impact QB like Luck

Scream away my friend, if there is no OL worthy of the pick, you don't reach.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Randy White;3650265 said:
In order for that pick to end up top 10, the Raiders would have to lose 8 out of their 9 games remaining. Looking at their schedule, I don't see that happening. The 2 toughest team they play are Seattle and Pitt. Everybody else is almost literally a toss up. They could easily end up with a 7-9 record or even 8-8.

There's no doubt that Luck will come out. He's the consensous #1 pick of the draft and the team with the worst record happen to need a QB, so he's Buffalo bound unless something unforseen happens ( injuries, dirty pictures, etc.. )

Looking at the teams that are destined as of right now to select in the top 10, I don't see any need for them to move up. Let's assume that everything stays the same way it is right now:

0-6 / 1-6:

Bills = QB - Andrew Luck
Detroit = DE - Da'Quan Bowers
Carolina = DE - Robert Quinn or Adrian Clayborn
49ers = QB - Jake Locker
Cowboys = CB - Patrick Peterson

2-5

Cleveland = DE - Adrian Clayborn or Robert Quinn
Chargers = WR - A.J. Green
Cinci = DT - Marcell Dareus
Denver = OLB - Akeem Ayers
Minnesota = CB Janoris Jenkins

I'm not saying those players are going in that particular order. I'm just pointing out the general area of need for those teams and the available talent they have to choose from.

There's no need for us to trade down, even if Peterson is taken ahead of us. Other than the QB and WR, and perhaps the DT, any of those players could come in and should make an immidiate contribution, which is what you're looking for in a top 5, top 10 pick.

I don't see any O-lineman doing that.

That doesn't mean anything to me, nor is a true reflection of Brewster's worth. He's a developmental lineman. Very few, if any, team in the NFL right now would be willing to take on a developmental lineman and spend a 53 roster spot on him. They'll glady put him in their practice squad, but that doesn't make sense to Brewster ( unless teams come up with some extra incentive - as in money ), who would have to agree to that, because he's already doing that in a familiar setting. Not to mention that we don't know if the Cowboys paid Brewster some extra cash for him to stick around, which is perfectly within the rules and has been done before.

Brewster not being in top shape, upper body wise, is understandable. He had " baby fat " issues coming out of college and the Cowboys knew that, so imagine missing an entire year without being able to do any lifting with your upper body because of an injury.

I'm going to believe my lying eyes on this one, since he did well in spurts during the pre-season, and give him another shot ( which is what I was suggesting ) next year.

No, there aren't. There isn't even a consensus potentially future franchise LT listed at this point and that's a very important indicator. The top one right now is Derek Sherrod, and he's middle of the draft type talent. Everybody else look like development projects. That doesn't mean that somebody in the later part of the draft won't break out and have a terrific season as a rookie, but good luck trying to figure out who that is.

Obviously we're not going to draft a QB with any pick in the first 4 rounds, if at all..

Just about everything else you said, I agree with.

great post boss:hammer: