And with the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select..

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Funny thread.

My opinion is, if you trust your talent evaluators and they tell you that you can draft a 'franchise' quarterback then you do it, no matter what.

If the guy is as good as rated you will have lots of options later.

QB always first.

If there is any doubt then all bets are off. Tackles (off. and def.), ends, corners, linebackers, any 5 star studs in these categories are just fine thanks.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3649843 said:
Ware is the best pass rusher in the league by a mile. If the coach we bring in wants to move to something that is not suited to Ware, then they are not the coach we should be getting lol.

Austin, is having a slump, if he can fix the drops hes having 100 yard, 1 td games every week. Hes got everything down but the polished catching, that will come in time.

Ware is not miles better than Matthews in GB...no way no how.

He isn't better than Lamar Woodley.

He isn't that much better than Osi.

He is good...most times very good, but he does disappear quite a bit.

The Natural

Reaction score
rockwood2;3649851 said:
Funny thread.

My opinion is, if you trust your talent evaluators and they tell you that you can draft a 'franchise' quarterback then you do it, no matter what.

If the guy is as good as rated you will have lots of options later.

QB always first.

If there is any doubt then all bets are off. Tackles (off. and def.), ends, corners, linebackers, any 5 star studs in these categories are just fine thanks.

There's no way I'd take a QB with franchise Defensive players still on the board that can be impact now players.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649852 said:

Wow....Don't really know how to respond to a post like this.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
iGor Olpiffsky;3649863 said:
There's no way I'd take a QB with franchise Defensive players still on the board that can be impact now players.

Agreed...Romo still has three good years left...you can draft a guy in the middle rounds and hope he develops...but this team is close enough that if they don't change schemes and turnover there entire defense they could still come back to compete.

newlander

Reaction score
Oh Canada is right....Ware was non EXISTENT last night until the 4th quarter. You guys are blind because you love the guy. So do I, but he didn't play well last night: at all.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
cjr126;3648891 said:
this team has so many holes they would need 10 #1 picks to even come close to fixing them

the cowboys best chance is to have no football next year

I wish you people would just shut up with this nonsense.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
IheartRomo;3649871 said:
Wow....Don't really know how to respond to a post like this.

What? Are you saying he is far better than those guys? Really, have you ever see anyone outside of guys with stars on there helmets play? Those guys are just as good as Ware.

All I am saying is that Ware is slightly overrated. Good football player, just doesn't have the mindset to take over games.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649852 said:

:laugh2:

Unbelievable ....

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649873 said:
Agreed...Romo still has three good years left...you can draft a guy in the middle rounds and hope he develops...but this team is close enough that if they don't change schemes and turnover there entire defense they could still come back to compete.

Agree to disagree on the QB thing.

I don't think we draft that high anyway, just speculation.

The Natural

Reaction score
zrinkill;3649877 said:
I wish you people would just shut up with this nonsense.

How far off is he really. We have major holes in our secondary..Jenkins & Newman are our only 2 capable corners (we dont know what we have in AOA yet as a CB or S). Church is the only Safety that's shown any promise, but again..we dont know exactly what we have in him.

Spencer is garbage..Victor & B.W. get no playing time so we dont know how good they can be at OLB. Another DE wouldn't hurt, and our ILB play has been average at best.

On offense our glaring needs are about 2-3 spots on the OL.

So there you have CB, S, LB?, and OL..can we fix that all in one draft.

Randy White

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3649782 said:
WE need OT, OG and possibly center. Costa didnt look to bad last night to me, since he mostly has played center and cowboys hadhim at OG.

WE might have a center there in costa in time to take over for gurode. That would leave you with a need for top ROT, a dominant player and a top OG. I would also go after mankins, someone said he would be unrestricted next year. Leonard Davis needs to go, and Kosier keeps getting hurt.

If you could get 2 first rounders, you can get some good players, and still get some good players in 2nd to 4th rounders if season is real bad this year, and you have top picks in each round of the draft.

Look at the current roster and how it's set up. Getting someone like Mankins with Davis and Columbo's money ( after they're cut ) is a great idea and absolutely the path this team should take.

Trading a top 10, or top 5 pick, for two #1 draft choices and proceed to draft 2 O-lineman in this draft is NOT the path they should take. You mentioned Costa not playing bad. I'd say he did better than that. We still have Sam Young and Robert Brewster, plust Travis Bright, who we are developing. Spending two #1 picks on O-lineman in this draft in particular would only add to the gluttony of developmental players we already have.

You want to know why I mentioned Robert Quinn above ? It was because my first idea was to check out Anthony Castonzo, BC's starting LT. I, like you, thought of the Patriots and the possibility of moving down and even though we would be out of Patrick Peterson's range, we could pick somebody like Castonzo and CB Ras-I Dowling, for example, or another DB who might have made a late move into those range. Well, I saw films on Castonzo. I like him, I think in time he could be a terrific LT as he gets stronger. He's mean and he competes. BUT he's not ready to start in the NFL next year. Quinn got the best of him the majority of the time, although Castonzo did get his shots in and also looking at the FSU game, it showed that Castonzo has problems with speed rushers and upper body strength at this time.

We already have two of those developmental tackles. We don't need a 3rd one.

If the Cowboys end up with a top 10 pick, they must select a player who's going to go in that range, regardless of need ( unless is a QB, WR, or TE ). As it so happen, and as of right now, they could get a very good one that's not any of those 3 positions ( wether it's Peterson or Quinn or even Karrigan ). They cannot pass on a possible impact player for the sake of need.

On a side note: I'd stay away from 1 player who, imo, is way overhyped: Nebraska's CB Prince Amukamara. I'm a Husker fan and I can tell you that Amukamara is not as good as advertized ( OSU proved it this past week ). He's a former RB turned CB who's not too flexible. He's fast and has excellent size, but he's too stiff for the position.

I might consider him a late 1st rounder, but would prefere a 2nd round pick instead.

Randy White

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649852 said:
Ware is not miles better than Matthews in GB...no way no how. He isn't better than Lamar Woodley. He isn't that much better than Osi. He is good...most times very good, but he does disappear quite a bit.

facepalm.gif

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;3649852 said:

ware disappears because spencer isnt doing his job on other side, and wade has ware covering passes downfield sometimes. Thats why I have never liked the 3-4. I like the 4-3 defense, you have 4 linemen on line. Not 3 like cowboys have, because as you can see most of time our linebackers are not making the plays.

why, to me its lack of intensity from head coach which reflects on defense somewhat.

example, look at jets defense, intensity all the way

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Randy White;3649914 said:
Look at the current roster and how it's set up. Getting someone like Mankins with Davis and Columbo's money ( after they're cut ) is a great idea and absolutely the path this team should take.

Trading a top 10, or top 5 pick, for two #1 draft choices and proceed to draft 2 O-lineman in this draft is NOT the path they should take. You mentioned Costa not playing bad. I'd say he did better than that. We still have Sam Young and Robert Brewster, plust Travis Bright, who we are developing. Spending two #1 picks on O-lineman in this draft in particular would only add to the gluttony of developmental players we already have.

You want to know why I mentioned Robert Quinn above ? It was because my first idea was to check out Anthony Castonzo, BC's starting LT. I, like you, thought of the Patriots and the possibility of moving down and even though we would be out of Patrick Peterson's range, we could pick somebody like Castonzo and CB Ras-I Dowling, for example, or another DB who might have made a late move into those range. Well, I saw films on Castonzo. I like him, I think in time he could be a terrific LT as he gets stronger. He's mean and he competes. BUT he's not ready to start in the NFL next year. Quinn got the best of him the majority of the time, although Castonzo did get his shots in and also looking at the FSU game, it showed that Castonzo has problems with speed rushers and upper body strength at this time.

We already have two of those developmental tackles. We don't need a 3rd one.

If the Cowboys end up with a top 10 pick, they must select a player who's going to go in that range, regardless of need ( unless is a QB, WR, or TE ). As it so happen, and as of right now, they could get a very good one that's not any of those 3 positions ( wether it's Peterson or Quinn or even Karrigan ). They cannot pass on a possible impact player for the sake of need.

On a side note: I'd stay away from 1 player who, imo, is way overhyped: Nebraska's CB Prince Amukamara. I'm a Husker fan and I can tell you that Amukamara is not as good as advertized ( OSU proved it this past week ). He's a former RB turned CB who's not too flexible. He's fast and has excellent size, but he's too stiff for the position. Jenkins hasn't shown much when it comes to coverage.

I might consider him a late 1st rounder, but would prefere a 2nd round pick instead.

Interesting that you liked what you saw from Costa last night....I've read where other good posters said that he was pretty bad.

....but yeah, I think we really need at least one proven player to add to the OL mix. Even then, I'd still use high picks up front.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3649052 said:
He realistically has 5-7 years left unless we continue to never fix the oline. Anyone we draft at 23-24 would then be at or near 30.

And you got a Top 5 pick making Top 5 money sitting on the bench his entire rookie contract.

Drafting a QB would take a staggering degree of stupidity.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Get Mankins in FA and you draft Patrick Petersen.

Davis is the weak link you start with replacing him first. Second round you take another G. Gurode is Ok if have have quality around him but bad if you don't.

No way you draft a QB, you trade down for WHATEVER you can get and take Petersen.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
aikemirv;3649952 said:
Get Mankins in FA and you draft Patrick Peterson.

Davis is the weak link you start with replacing him first. Second round you take another G. Gurode is Ok if have have quality around him but bad if you don't.

No way you draft a QB, you trade down for WHATEVER you can get and take Petersen.

Those are the first two moves I would make if I were GM. Davis would be gone, Mankins in, and Peterson would be my #1 rated player in the draft no matter what pick we end up with.