Another Car Problem Question

Creeper

Reaction score
Okay, I had a chance to further debug the problem. I do not think it is the power steering. The car is acting like it is in 4WD, it bucks when I backup with the wheels turned. When I start the car, it give a slight lurch forward which it neve did before. That is not a power steering symptom. it is definitely transfer case/transmission problem. I don't see and signs of a leak on my driveway so I don't think it is a transfer case leak. I have read a low level of oil in the transfer case can cause this behavior. Of course we are having the absolutely coldest November weather in decades now which is the perfect time be under the car in my driveway. Not!

For those wondering why I haven't ditch this junk box yet, I wish I could. But the inventory or cars around here is close to zero depending on the car. SUVs are extremely hard to find. I will look around and see if the local deals have anything but they are asking ridiculous prices for what they have. It is a really bad time to buy a car around here. Maybe after a few more interest rate hikes leasing prices will drive all the buyers away.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Okay, I had a chance to further debug the problem. I do not think it is the power steering. The car is acting like it is in 4WD, it bucks when I backup with the wheels turned. When I start the car, it give a slight lurch forward which it neve did before. That is not a power steering symptom. it is definitely transfer case/transmission problem. I don't see and signs of a leak on my driveway so I don't think it is a transfer case leak. I have read a low level of oil in the transfer case can cause this behavior. Of course we are having the absolutely coldest November weather in decades now which is the perfect time be under the car in my driveway. Not!

For those wondering why I haven't ditch this junk box yet, I wish I could. But the inventory or cars around here is close to zero depending on the car. SUVs are extremely hard to find. I will look around and see if the local deals have anything but they are asking ridiculous prices for what they have. It is a really bad time to buy a car around here. Maybe after a few more interest rate hikes leasing prices will drive all the buyers away.
Try posting your problem in a Jeep forum lots of the time a mechanic will respond

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Sounds exactly how my rig responds when I forget to disengage the 4x4.

I see that those rigs are full time 4x4. I bet there is a fuse you could pull to temporarily solve your problem until you get it figured out.

Might be worth it to pick up a cheap code reader or take it to your local chain auto parts store and have them check for any fault codes the ECM has stored.

Creeper

Reaction score

I see that those rigs are full time 4x4. I bet there is a fuse you could pull to temporarily solve your problem until you get it figured out.

Might be worth it to pick up a cheap code reader or take it to your local chain auto parts store and have them check for any fault codes the ECM has stored.

I have a code reader. I don't see any warning lights or messages but it won't hurt to see what the computers says.

Creeper

Reaction score

Okay, So I plugged in my code reader and it read no codes, but after doing some research I found out that Jeep uses proprietary codes for their 4 wheel drive system and cheapo readers will not pick them up. Naturally, I have the $24 reader so I got nothing. So I took the car down the street to my local mechanic and it looks like the transfer motor is bad. Guess who needs a new transfer case? Moi! Of course. It couldn't be I'm low on transfer case oil of something simple. This explains the symptoms. Once I replace this I think I have a brand new car made out of replacement parts!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, So I plugged in my code reader and it read no codes, but after doing some research I found out that Jeep uses proprietary codes for their 4 wheel drive system and cheapo readers will not pick them up. Naturally, I have the $24 reader so I got nothing. So I took the car down the street to my local mechanic and it looks like the transfer motor is bad. Guess who needs a new transfer case? Moi! Of course. It couldn't be I'm low on transfer case oil of something simple. This explains the symptoms. Once I replace this I think I have a brand new car made out of replacement parts!
4G2GRYb.jpg

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ouch. I hope that doesn't hurt to much.

I was rooting for a vacuum leak or a bad relay or something cheap and easy.

Creeper

Reaction score
Ouch. I hope that doesn't hurt to much.

I was rooting for a vacuum leak or a bad relay or something cheap and easy.

I appreciate that. But it seems the gods have chosen to put in my path the many obstacles of automobile ownership. Alas, poor Creeper, the price for thinking I could test the god of aging cars, Rusticles, is loss of much sestertius. Not as much as those thieves at Jeep wanted to fix my air suspension system though.