Another Car Problem Question

Creeper

Reaction score
I noticed something new with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee last night. As I was backing up into my driveway I noticed with the wheels turned all the way to the left, there was a feeling of substantial resistance against the engine. The more I turned the wheels the more resistance I felt. I had to give it a lot of extra gas to get the car to move but when I straightened the wheels the resistance stopped or at least was unnoticeable. Today I noticed the same problem with the car moving forward. I checked for anything like the wheels rubbing against something, but there doesn't appear to be any obstructions or anything like that.

Anyone know what this might be? I am ready to junk this problem of the month POS but I need the cargo room right now for some moving and hauling I am doing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It could just be that your wheels turn so far in that direction that you're actually pushing sideways against them. Did you try it in 4WD?

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not an expert, but it could be power steering related. I would check the power steering fluid and make sure it's not low.

I thought of that earlier. I will check it in the morning. Good suggestion. I was also wondering if there is something wrong with my breaks again. It would be the 40th time in the last 3 years.

It could also be much worse, like a transfer issue in which case I will drive it to some deserted field and use it for target practice.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No noise or vibration? Only turning left? Is it a manually activated 4wd system or automatic?

My first thought was it sounds like it might be in 4wd on a not slippery surface. One axle pushing sideways against the other which can't freewheel because it's being held back by the engine braking. Or somehow a caliper is binding up, which seems unlikely.

Curious to see what the problem turns out to be.
I thought of that earlier. I will check it in the morning. Good suggestion. I was also wondering if there is something wrong with my breaks again. It would be the 40th time in the last 3 years.

It could also be much worse, like a transfer issue in which case I will drive it to some deserted field and use it for target practice.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'd jack up the front end and get my wife to operate the steering wheel while I manipulated the front wheels.

Safety third!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed something new with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee last night. As I was backing up into my driveway I noticed with the wheels turned all the way to the left, there was a feeling of substantial resistance against the engine. The more I turned the wheels the more resistance I felt. I had to give it a lot of extra gas to get the car to move but when I straightened the wheels the resistance stopped or at least was unnoticeable. Today I noticed the same problem with the car moving forward. I checked for anything like the wheels rubbing against something, but there doesn't appear to be any obstructions or anything like that.

Anyone know what this might be? I am ready to junk this problem of the month POS but I need the cargo room right now for some moving and hauling I am doing.
It's probably in 4WD.

If not, then the power steering pump or steering gearbox is bad.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
How would a power steering problem cause this?

It would cause substantial resistance in the steering but the driveline wouldn't be affected. The vehicle would still roll normally once you got the wheels turned.

I would think a PS problem would also manifest itself in all conditions and not just this specific condition.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How would a power steering problem cause this?

It would cause substantial resistance in the steering but the driveline wouldn't be affected. The vehicle would still roll normally once you got the wheels turned.

I would think a PS problem would also manifest itself in all conditions and not just this specific condition.
When you start to pull away on a forklift with the wheels turned all the way, a lot of them stall, because they're pushing sideways against the steer wheels. It may be something similar with your jeep. Just something to consider.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
When you start to pull away on a forklift with the wheels turned all the way, a lot of them stall, because they're pushing sideways against the steer wheels. It may be something similar with your jeep. Just something to consider.
I get that there will be more resistance to overcome if the wheels are cranked but I'm still not getting how lack of power steering would affect that and cause you to have even more resistance in the drive line than there would be if the power steering was working.

There's probably something I'm missing. I'm just trying to understand what that is.

I would think it would be obvious by the feel of the steering wheel if the PS was fubared.

I enjoy these kinds of puzzlers. I hope we find out what the deal is when it is determined.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get that there will be more resistance to overcome if the wheels are cranked but I'm still not getting how lack of power steering would affect that and cause you to have even more resistance in the drive line than there would be if the power steering was working.

There's probably something I'm missing. I'm just trying to understand what that is.

I would think it would be obvious by the feel of the steering wheel if the PS was fubared.

I enjoy these kinds of puzzlers. I hope we find out what the deal is when it is determined.
Oh, I'm not saying anything about the power steering. Have you had the car since it was new?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I, for some reason, had thought you had already got rid of this vehicle since the last thread. lol

I am not an expert, but it could be power steering related. I would check the power steering fluid and make sure it's not low.

This was my first thought as well. Maybe low on fluid? Notice any drips on your driveway?

He seems to be explaining that he is feeling the resistance through the steering column/wheel. To me that would indicate a steering pump/belt issue, especially when he was turning. I guess this depends on what his definition of resistance is.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I, for some reason, had thought you had already got rid of this vehicle since the last thread. lol

This was my first thought as well. Maybe low on fluid? Notice any drips on your driveway?

He seems to be explaining that he is feeling the resistance through the steering column/wheel. To me that would indicate a steering pump/belt issue, especially when he was turning. I guess this depends on what his definition of resistance is.

As I reread the OP I do see where the confusion originated.

I was focusing on this...
I had to give it a lot of extra gas to get the car to move but when I straightened the wheels the resistance stopped or at least was unnoticeable.

I took that to mean he needed more engine power than usual to get the vehicle to move as it was resisting much more than usual.

I don't know if Jeep has gone this way but my 2011 F150 was the first one I had that had an electric PS motor instead of a hydraulic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As I reread the OP I do see where the confusion originated.

I was focusing on this...

I took that to mean he needed more engine power than usual to get the vehicle to move as it was resisting much more than usual.

I don't know if Jeep has gone this way but my 2011 F150 was the first one I had that had an electric PS motor instead of a hydraulic.
That's what he meant, I think. The resistance isn't in the steering, it's in the drive train.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I think the issue is getting the vehicle to move forward or backward when the wheel is fully turned, not trying to steer it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It's more than likely the wheel barring. If you jack it up take the tire off and try to spend the rotor you'll hear rubbing noise. The wheel bearing is sticking time to change it out.

That's the piece with all the studs coming out of it that allows you to put the tire on and tighten it up.