Another Draft Trade Suggestion??? Ellis to

sago1

Reaction score
Understand Broncos are $30+M over the salary cap & have to jettison several of their vet players. Adding to this problem--Broncos have 2 first round draft picks which increase costs of their rookie draft pool. One of the players cited as probably being cut is DE Courtney Brown (and 2 OL players). Unless Broncos have capable backup behind Brown, they need add quality DE.

Ellis would be good fit for them (along with his 8 QB sacks) but he will cost too much if they have to compete in FA for him. Locked into 4 more years in his contract, Ellis base salary $3M+ in 06 may prove very attractive to them. Would Broncos be interested enough to trade their 29th pick in first round to us & in return we send them Ellis & our first round pick in 07??? If not the first round, would it be attractive enough to get done in 2nd round?? If not doable in these 2 rounds, maybe they'd give us their third round for Ellis to avoid competing in FA for him???

Above scenario based on whether Cowboys do indeed plan/forced trade Ellis.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
sago1 said:
Understand Broncos are $30+M over the salary cap & have to jettison several of their vet players. Adding to this problem--Broncos have 2 first round draft picks which increase costs of their rookie draft pool. One of the players cited as probably being cut is DE Courtney Brown (and 2 OL players). Unless Broncos have capable backup behind Brown, they need add quality DE.

Ellis would be good fit for them (along with his 8 QB sacks) but he will cost too much if they have to compete in FA for him. Locked into 4 more years in his contract, Ellis base salary $3M+ in 06 may prove very attractive to them. Would Broncos be interested enough to trade their 29th pick in first round to us & in return we send them Ellis & our first round pick in 07??? If not the first round, would it be attractive enough to get done in 2nd round?? If not doable in these 2 rounds, maybe they'd give us their third round for Ellis to avoid competing in FA for him???

Above scenario based on whether Cowboys do indeed plan/forced trade Ellis.
Can't see that happening. The Broncos could end up with a better 1st round pick from us, depending on how our season goes, than the 29th spot. Plus get Ellis. Plus give themselves more cap room this year.

The Cowboys would be nuts to give all that just for the 29th pick.

I believe the Cowboys would consider a trade down to aquire more picks. Say someone in this draft in the mid twenties plus a 2nd or 3rd. Depending on who the trade partner was and who they wanted at the 18th spot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Why would a team eager to cut money against their cap want a veteran? They'd have to give up a pick and pay his salary. He doesn't make a ton but still would make more than a rookie.

And that trade? Totally unrealistic. We aren't giving up future picks. This draft just isn't that deep.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Can't see that happening. The Broncos could end up with a better 1st round pick from us, depending on how our season goes, than the 29th spot. Plus get Ellis. Plus give themselves more cap room this year.

The Cowboys would be nuts to give all that just for the 29th pick.

I believe the Cowboys would consider a trade down to aquire more picks. Say someone in this draft in the mid twenties plus a 2nd or 3rd. Depending on who the trade partner was and who they wanted at the 18th spot.

I dont understand the rush to jettison Ellis out of here.
I mean, we have been trying to find a pass rush ever since Haley, and now we have a few players that can get to the QB in Ware, and Ellis, and we want to try and trade Ellis off for what? A late first rounder, that has landed us the likes of.. (shiver).. Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman.... I just dont get it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typhus said:
Since Coakley isn't a Cowboy any more, somebody has to wear the target.

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Why would a team eager to cut money against their cap want a veteran? They'd have to give up a pick and pay his salary. He doesn't make a ton but still would make more than a rookie.

And that trade? Totally unrealistic. We aren't giving up future picks. This draft just isn't that deep.

Depends on who is available on the 29th pick. If someone like Huff, Marcus McNeil, Williams, Manny Lawson, or Wimberly is there I could see the pick getting traded. Maybe the Colts who need bigger Dlinemen would consider that trade as well.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Typhus said:
I mean, we have been trying to find a pass rush ever since Haley, and now we have a few players that can get to the QB in Ware, and Ellis, and we want to try and trade Ellis off for what? A late first rounder, that has landed us the likes of.. (shiver).. Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman.... I just dont get it.

Ellis does not want to be here. He is trying to jettison himself out of Dallas. If we don't trade him, we might have a disgruntled player on our hands. Does anyone think Ellis could bring in a 2nd round pick this year?

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Ellis does not want to be here. He is trying to jettison himself out of Dallas. If we don't trade him, we might have a disgruntled player on our hands. Does anyone think Ellis could bring in a 2nd round pick this year?

I would say Ellis is worth about a 3rd. It all depends what team wants him. If we traded him to caroline he wouldnt be worth a 7th, if we trade him to someone like Denver he could be worth a 2nd or a 3rd

neosapien23

Reaction score
Howboutdemcowboys31 said:
I would say Ellis is worth about a 3rd. It all depends what team wants him. If we traded him to caroline he wouldnt be worth a 7th, if we trade him to someone like Denver he could be worth a 2nd or a 3rd

We need to go ahead and get what we can for him. Ellis was a a great locker room presence and we owe it to him to let him play for a 4-3 team. We should just cut him because he certainly has trade value. Glover and Allen have no trade value though. They are both going to make over 7 million next year, so teams are going to be sure that we cut them. I hate to say it, but a Glover for Owens trade is looking more appealing. Both teams would still have to get the players to accept a new contract, but at least both teams wouldn't have to compete for them in the open market. Bledsoe, Johnson, and Glenn are all older. We might as well make a big push for the Superbowl.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
We need to go ahead and get what we can for him. Ellis was a a great locker room presence and we owe it to him to let him play for a 4-3 team. We should just cut him because he certainly has trade value. Glover and Allen have no trade value though. They are both going to make over 7 million next year, so teams are going to be sure that we cut them. I hate to say it, but a Glover for Owens trade is looking more appealing. Both teams would still have to get the players to accept a new contract, but at least both teams wouldn't have to compete for them in the open market. Bledsoe, Johnson, and Glenn are all older. We might as well make a big push for the Superbowl.

Yeah I think we will make a big push in these next two years. Bill's not stayin here to just draft us good players and hope we do good in the future with another coach, hes here to win a superbowl, and now.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Gotta agree. Thats why I would have rather had a young coach. His old quarterbacks have not taking us to the big dance yet.Although Bledsoe performed really well with no Oline. A young quarterback like Leftwich could have already been in their fourth year next year. We are going to have to start all over real soon. Might as well bring in Owens and go for the kill shot.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Typhus said:
I didn't say to get rid of Ellis.

I don't think that he is going anywhere. If someone called to inquire, I think that the asking price should be no lower than mid round of the 2nd or higher. And that's if he really doesn't want to be here.

I believe that Glover has a better chance of being traded than Ellis, JMO of course.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Its not out of the realm of possibility we jettison Ellis and I could see them wanting him. He is an energy guy in the 4-3 who plays the run and rushes the passer well. They could get him in at 3 mil and then restructure so this years cap hit is very small.

I think they'd only want to ship us expensive players though not draft picks which they will need to replace expensive starters.

A guy they might send us is Trevor Pryce. If they'd send us Pryce and a 3rd rounder I'd do it(if only to reward Ellis for being a good soldier for years). Pryce is about 7 to 10 pounds heavier than Ellis and is a good fit in the 3-4 as he has played DT.

Now the question is do we want any vets on the DL? Right now we are getting depth there with all young guys.

neosapien23

Reaction score
jterrell said:
A guy they might send us is Trevor Pryce. If they'd send us Pryce and a 3rd rounder I'd do it(if only to reward Ellis for being a good soldier for years). Pryce is about 7 to 10 pounds heavier than Ellis and is a good fit in the 3-4 as he has played DT.

Now the question is do we want any vets on the DL? Right now we are getting depth there with all young guys.

I would do it for a 3rd or 2nd pick. Lets let Ellis shop himself. Some team will give a number two. BTW, I think Price renogatiated his contract to stay in Denver. They would probably move him back to DT although he has dominated at DE for awhile now.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Its not out of the realm of possibility we jettison Ellis and I could see them wanting him. He is an energy guy in the 4-3 who plays the run and rushes the passer well. They could get him in at 3 mil and then restructure so this years cap hit is very small.

I think they'd only want to ship us expensive players though not draft picks which they will need to replace expensive starters.

There are some AFC teams running the 4-3 who have holes at 1 DE spot that they could fill with Ellis. Besides, with Canty, Spears, Rat, Coleman and any other FA's we could sign Ellis is more expendable than Glover.

A AFC team like the Broncos, Jags (Wiley isnt cutting it for them), Chiefs, and the Bills could all be looking for a guy who can get 5-10 sacks consistantly. Ellis isnt expensive and a late 1st day pick might be worth it for some of these teams because three of those teams I named made the playoffs, Ellis could help them get over the hump.

So IMO, no team will give up a 1st rounder but anything later than that would be worth it for both teams.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
neosapien23 said:
We are going to have to start all over real soon.
You do realize we have one of the youngest teams in the league don't you?

And TO is NOT coming here so get over it.

neosapien23

Reaction score
We are extremely old at all the skill postions. QB and Wr. Our guards are both old and overpaid. Those guys only have 2 years left. Johnson might only have one year left. If BP is willing to play Bledsoe, he would be more than willing to play Owens. As old as we are in those positions, we might as well bring in Owens and try to win now. It will take us three years to groom another QB when we couold have already done it.

Silverstar

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
I believe that Glover has a better chance of being traded than Ellis, JMO of course.

Glover for the 29th pick straight up?

I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Then, maybe throw in Coleman to sweeten the deal....sound good?

You bet yo azz it does!

:D