Another game... another interception!

Eddie

Reaction score
Darkhound;2302957 said:
Is this the QB we want?
Are you guys worried or are we just buying into the drama?

I personally am starting to think Tony is not what we thought he was....

You can have your choice:

Tony Romo
Chad Hutchinson
Ryan Leaf
Drew Bledsoe
Quincy Carter

Maybe if you take a step back, you'll realize Tony Romo is better than 95% of the starting QB's out there right now.

Feel lucky we have him, and don't complain about his minor shortcomings.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dumbsheet;2303924 said:
Yeah, Brett Farve throws a ton of interceptions too. And he really sucks.

Good piont.

Yes Brett Favre throws a ton of INT's.
No he doesnt suck but he has cost his team just as many times as he has helped them win.

IT IS his Flaw as a QB. At times some of the worst decision making ever.

Eddie;2306742 said:
You can have your choice:

Tony Romo
Chad Hutchinson
Ryan Leaf
Drew Bledsoe
Quincy Carter

Maybe if you take a step back, you'll realize Tony Romo is better than 95% of the starting QB's out there right now.

Feel lucky we have him, and don't complain about his minor shortcomings.

Listing those guys with Romo does what exactly. Yes we know that Romo is head and shoulders above all of those guys.

So... what... we cant want him to be smarter and play better? :rolleyes:

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
DallasEast;2303535 said:
Romo versus Cleveland’s defense:intercepted late in the third quarter.
Score at the time of the interception? 28-7 Dallas.

Romo versus Philadephia’s defense:intercepted late in the first quarter.
Score at the time of the interception? 14-6 Dallas.

Romo versus Green Bay’s defense: intercepted late in the first quarter
Score at the time of the interception? 3-3 tie.

Romo versus Washington’s defense: intercepted late in the third quarter.
Score at the time of the interception? 20-17 Washington.

It would greatly concern me if Romo was consistently (i.e. two or more straight games) throwing interceptions with the game on the line, late in the fourth quarter and forced Dallas to overcome a large deficit. Interceptions are something to worry about, but you also have to consider when your quarterback is throwing them and how badly does the INT affect the probable outcome of the game because every quarterback, good or bad, throws picks. It’s the nature of the game.
Interceptions early in the game affect the outcome just as much as those late in the game. It's just that the effects are harder to see.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;2306918 said:
Interceptions early in the game affect the outcome just as much as those late in the game. It's just that the effects are harder to see.
Really?

Given the examples which I've stated, please clarify how you believe Romo's interceptions affected the outcome of those four games.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
DallasEast;2306923 said:
Really?

Given the examples which I've stated, please clarify how you believe Romo's interceptions affected the outcome of those four games.
They stopped Dallas drives and gave the ball to the opposition. That is exactly the same in the fourth quarter or the first.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;2306928 said:
They stopped Dallas drives and gave the ball to the opposition. That is exactly the same in the fourth quarter or the first.
Cleveland – the Browns converted Romo’s interception into a field goal.

Philadelphia – the Eagles exchanged Romo’s turnover into seven points.

Green Bay – the Packers translated Romo’s snafu into a field goal.

Ramifications of Romo’s interceptions on the ACTUAL outcome of games one through three scorecard:

None.
None.
None.

Your counter-argument is moot in retrospect to Dallas’ first three games.

The final margin of victory last Sunday was two points. Your team profited from his turnover with a field goal. Point difference? Well, 3-2=1.

One point.

In my book, a 4-to-6 point differential due to a turnover on the outcome of a game is a moderate concern. A 7+ point differential is a great concern. A one point differential due to an interception, which occurred before the final quarter of a 20-17 game, which turned into a 23-17 game because of the turnover (e.g. a perfectly winnable game with nearly eleven minutes remaining)…

… I call that a slight concern which did not dictate the final outcome of the game. But, by all means panic if that’s not your criteria.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
INT in first 30 starts
Aikman 39
Romo 36
Staubach 33

Interception-wise, Romo ranks in the middle of Cowboy greats over their first 30 starts.

Romo has thrown FEWER interceptions in his first 30 starts than 16 different Hall of Fame quarterbacks, including Elway, Namath, Aikman, Starr, Bradshaw, and Tarkenton.

TD in first 30 starts
Romo 63
Staubach 42
Aikman 25

As for touchdowns, it's not even close.

Romo has thrown more TD passes in his first 30 starts than EVERY Hall of Fame quarterback except Marino and Van Brocklin.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2303300 said:
You have got to be kidding. That was a rookie-type INT.

Reminded me of a game with Ryan Leaf right before half time. A very similar INT.

On a side: Just as we have the "chicken little's" we also have the "dont worry, be happy crowd" and that will have us watching playoffs at home... AGAIN.

There is legitimate cause for concern with these "patterns" with Romo.

I hate to dispute follow Cowboy fans, but you couldn't be more wrong on this point.

Follow these links,
http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=teams
http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=teams
it's a very nice break down of exactly what happened on that play and some others.

This was an outstanding job by the Commander defensive coaches. This is exactly why teams spend so much time breaking down film of the opponent.

I think Romo is one of the very best QB's. But nobody's perfect and he does come with a few flaws.

One flaw is that he is not a physically imposing guy and has average to slightly below average NFL arm strength.

On certain throws, he must release the ball a fraction of a second sooner. Deep passes and sideline passes.

This strategy of sending an unexpected defender late, into an expected area of a Romo pass will always be more effective against him than many stronger armed QB's.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
DallasEast;2306979 said:
Cleveland – the Browns converted Romo’s interception into a field goal.

Philadelphia – the Eagles exchanged Romo’s turnover into seven points.

Green Bay – the Packers translated Romo’s snafu into a field goal.

Ramifications of Romo’s interceptions on the ACTUAL outcome of games one through three scorecard:

None.
None.
None.

Your counter-argument is moot in retrospect to Dallas’ first three games.

The final margin of victory last Sunday was two points. Your team profited from his turnover with a field goal. Point difference? Well, 3-2=1.

One point.

In my book, a 4-to-6 point differential due to a turnover on the outcome of a game is a moderate concern. A 7+ point differential is a great concern. A one point differential due to an interception, which occurred before the final quarter of a 20-17 game, which turned into a 23-17 game because of the turnover (e.g. a perfectly winnable game with nearly eleven minutes remaining)…

… I call that a slight concern which did not dictate the final outcome of the game. But, by all means panic if that’s not your criteria.
If the interceptions had happened in the fourth quarter there is no reason to think that the opposition's drives would have resulted any differently than when they happen in the first quarter.

dre1614

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2307037 said:
If the interceptions had happened in the fourth quarter there is no reason to think that the opposition's drives would have resulted any differently than when they happen in the first quarter.

yeah but if you throw an INT in the first quarter you have 3 more quarters to make up for it.

If you throw an INT on the last play of the game, you cant make up for it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;2307037 said:
This is how it started...
Skinsmaniac;2306918 said:
You still haven't addressed my question I posed to you so that you could justify your argument, which was:

"Given the examples which I've stated, please clarify how you believe Romo's interceptions affected the outcome of those four games."

You haven't yet.

You won't.

What's the next "what if counter-argument"?

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
dre1614;2307060 said:
If you throw an INT on the last play of the game, you cant make up for it.
You "make up for it" by playing well in the quarters before you throw it.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
DallasEast;2307081 said:
This is how it started...You still haven't addressed my question I posed to you so that you could justify your argument, which was:

"Given the examples which I've stated, please clarify how you believe Romo's interceptions affected the outcome of those four games."

You haven't yet.

You won't.

What's the next "what if counter-argument"?
Your question was irrelevant. I didn't say that Romo's interceptions were or were not costly. Just that they were no more or less costly than if he had thrown them at a different time in the same game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;2307114 said:
Your question was irrelevant. I didn't say that Romo's interceptions were or were not costly. Just that they were no more or less costly than if he had thrown them at a different time in the same game.
Thank you. Not only can you not debate against my point, you try to justify not doing so after several replies by stating that it's irrelevant after the fact. Brilliant.

:rolleyes: