Image: Another look at 3rd and goal

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
After watching the 1992 NFC Championship game again I have to say that KMart didn't score. I suspected it back then but after slowing it down we can tell he didn't score. It was very close. We all know there wasn't Instant Reply back during this crucial game. But what if there was? It would be 4th and inches with over 3 minutes left to play in a 24 to 20 game. Does Jimmy "The River Boat Gambler" go for it to seal it once and for all or does he kick a FG making it 27-20 with a lot of time left? Since it was counted as a TD that last SF drive was in desperation because they needed two scores. If Jimmy kicks a FG then it's a one possession game and SF can call their plays a lot different. Things could've turned out a lot different if there was Instant Replay.

233262624_4247066632042514_1506071566358473906_n.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
not enough evidence to overturn even with new re[lay rules and better cameras..

want to nit pick what are you a 49er fan? lets go see the steeler cowboys sbs wit those 2 plays that most like would not have been allowed that turned those games in PBs favor..we got robbed at least 1

how about the dez catch no catch controversy may have led to win in 2014 and changed Garrets, romos, wittens,and dez career outlook..

stuff happens et it be

im sure raiders fans are still upset over the snow game the pats got that break that changed the empty hand rule that would have today gave the raisders a afccg win..imagine how that would have changed history?

stuff happens.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
KMart breaking the plane was virtually simultaneous to his knee down.

It's over, we won. Everyone has moved on. I don't even think I've heard a Niners fan gripe about KMart's TD, ever.

Dallas was the benefactor of some critical turnovers. One of our LBs, can't remember who, put a LICK on their punt returner and he proceeded to fumble right into Moose's hands. That was awesome.

As much as the Aikman to Harper play, along with several others, were key that day, I think the holding call on the 49ers lineman nullifying the TD to Rice early in that game was huge. As in, more than people realize. And it was a legit hold too, in case you were wondering..

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Too close to overturn..

Deion interferes with Irvin two years later on a clear PI which ended one of the greatest comebacks in history, and that was blatant, unlike this play…

Yep. No doubt that was a defensive PI. Then Barry gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty for bumping the ref who missed that call. Ugh Still hurts to this day.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
KMart breaking the plane was virtually simultaneous to his knee down.

It's over, we won. Everyone has moved on. I don't even think I've heard a Niners fan gripe about KMart's TD, ever.

His knee was down BEFORE the ball breaks the plane, as seen on that pic I posted. It gets overturned if there was IR. I have several 49er fans on my wife's side and they all say they got robbed of that call.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
...whoosh...! dodged a bullet there. In todays game. Its 4th down..lol..

Yes it is. Since Jimmy gambled earlier and lost on a 4th down, he probably decides to kick a FG which changes SF play calling on that next drive. We still win the game I think but I'm a "what if" type of guy. Someone said here "we won so let's move on." I know that and I have. It's just fun to look back on history and take a relook at what made history and what didn't.

Praxit

Reaction score
Yes it is. Since Jimmy gambled earlier and lost on a 4th down, he probably decides to kick a FG which changes SF play calling on that next drive. We still win the game I think but I'm a "what if" type of guy. Someone said here "we won so let's move on." I know that and I have. It's just fun to look back on history and take a relook at what made history and what didn't.
..reminds me of the Tuck Rule that favored Pats in the SB. Its a BS rule, but it was what it was.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After watching the 1992 NFC Championship game again I have to say that KMart didn't score. I suspected it back then but after slowing it down we can tell he didn't score. It was very close. We all know there wasn't Instant Reply back during this crucial game. But what if there was? It would be 4th and inches with over 3 minutes left to play in a 24 to 20 game. Does Jimmy "The River Boat Gambler" go for it to seal it once and for all or does he kick a FG making it 27-20 with a lot of time left? Since it was counted as a TD that last SF drive was in desperation because they needed two scores. If Jimmy kicks a FG then it's a one possession game and SF can call their plays a lot different. Things could've turned out a lot different if there was Instant Replay.

233262624_4247066632042514_1506071566358473906_n.jpg

If you want to do that, we can retrofit instant replay to a lot of games and change the results.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
His knee was down BEFORE the ball breaks the plane, as seen on that pic I posted. It gets overturned if there was IR. I have several 49er fans on my wife's side and they all say they got robbed of that call.

Really! Thirty years later!

Well it would have been fourth and one inch. I’ll give you three scenarios with the greatest offensive line to ever play. Pick your poison;
-Aikman falls forward for one inch, Touchdown!
-Mose Johnston burrows for one inch, Touchdown!
-Emmitt over the top for one inch, Toucjdown!

Did I really have to do that? SMGDH!

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
What's next. The Ice Bowl?

Not sure. I changed the channel after the reshowing of game was over.
Really! Thirty years later!

Well it would have been fourth and one inch. I’ll give you three scenarios with the greatest offensive line to ever play. Pick your poison;
-Aikman falls forward for one inch, Touchdown!
-Mose Johnston burrows for one inch, Touchdown!
-Emmitt over the top for one inch, Toucjdown!

Did I really have to do that? SMGDH!

Just a few minutes before that play, on the possession before, Jimmy went for it on 4th and less than a yard and they didn't get it. They didn't even measure so that tells me Emmitt didn't even get back to the line of scrimmage. A few plays later SF scores a TD on a QUICK 93 yard drive.

At least you understood my post which was what would Jimmy do on 4th and inches at the goaline. You said he would go for it. Cool. That's all I was asking since the game was replayed and it was exciting to relive it again. You didn't have to be damn smart*** about it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
People totally missed the point of this post. But I'm not surprised...

I understand it's a what-if. I guess I'm just not interested in pursuing. Probably would have been best for me to not respond. I just wanted to make sure it's understood that a lot of games, and not just that one, would have turned out differently if instant replay had existed.

Imagine if that pass interference challenge rule had been in place in Super Bowl XIII. A terrible call against Bennie Barnes gets erased and perhaps we win another Super Bowl.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I understand it's a what-if. I guess I'm just not interested in pursuing. Probably would have been best for me to not respond. I just wanted to make sure it's understood that a lot of games, and not just that one, would have turned out differently if instant replay had existed.

Imagine if that pass interference challenge rule had been in place in Super Bowl XIII. A terrible call against Bennie Barnes gets erased and perhaps we win another Super Bowl.

It's more than a "what if' IR was around back then. I was asking what Jimmy would do if in that situation... would he gamble again and go for it when it bit him in the *** on their last possesion, or kick the FG and and rely on our defense to keep SF out of the endzone. SF last possesion before the game winning TD (the KMart TD) was a 93 yard drive, and they made it look easy. And that score happened because Jimmy gambled and lost on a 4th and inches call inside the redzone.

That's all I was asking, man.